Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:13 PM

199 posts, read 1,106,161 times

Advertisements

Which would you say are the most highly-regarded? Which ones are ok? Which ones are sub-par??

I know it oftentimes depends on the actual program but if you were to sum everything up, where would they fall?

I think these are clearly the most highly-regarded ones (in no particular order):
- Binghamton University
- University at Buffalo
- SUNY Geneseo
- Stony Brook University

Last edited by Guidance100; 03-23-2013 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 AM

506 posts, read 958,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
Which would you say are the most highly-regarded? Which ones are ok? Which ones are sub-par??

I know it oftentimes depends on the actual program but if you were to sum everything up, where would they fall?

I think these are clearly the most highly-regarded ones (in no particular order):
- Binghamton University
- University at Buffalo
- SUNY Geneseo
- Stony Brook University
I agree with the list. They all seem to be held in high esteem as compared to other SUNY schools. I also heard SUNY Albany is pretty good too, but I guess it's a matter of opinion for that.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:39 PM

199 posts, read 1,106,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
I agree with the list. They all seem to be held in high esteem as compared to other SUNY schools. I also heard SUNY Albany is pretty good too, but I guess it's a matter of opinion for that.
SUNY Albany has a reputation for being a big party school. I know it used to have a very solid reputation but unfortunately it seemed to have gone down over the years.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:50 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
The addition to your list that I would make is SUNY New Paltz, which is held in very high regard, at least here downstate, and which has gotten increasingly difficult to get in to as many downstate students discover its charms.

I don't know admissions rates for the rest of the state colleges, or the average stats of students, but New Paltz used to admit over 50% of applicants and and now they're down to the high 30s. At the same time the avg SAT is bumping up to about 600 I believe.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
SUNY Albany has a reputation for being a big party school. I know it used to have a very solid reputation but unfortunately it seemed to have gone down over the years.
SUNY Albany is a crazy party school. My friend goes there and holy crap the parties are wild.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 PM

844 posts, read 1,656,710 times
University of Texas - Austin is a party school, but the academic reputation is still pretty good.

The four schools in the list are all decent. If you want to be close to NYC, maybe Stony Brook is good for you. Buffalo, NY is a horrible place with delicious chicken wings. Binghamton seems to be nice overall.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times
If you want a good job right out of college, SUNY Maritime is the best. Higher starting salary than Harvard.

12 Colleges Whose Job Payoff Is Better Than Harvard - ABC News

Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I went to Stony Brook (after 2 years community college) with a social science major but my classes were heavily math/science influenced. I was impressed with that. That doesn't make it better but it was useful in my career which had nothing to do with my major. I think I got a good education and I graduated with zero debt.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:36 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
1. Binghamton - Stony Brook - it really depends upon who you ask and which department. They are both ranked "highly competitive" and they are excellent schools. Better social life at Bing - or pretty much any place on earth.

2. Geneseo - not a university center, but increasingly well regarded. Because of it's location, I'd prefer Albany, though.

3. New Paltz. Chosen by artier students.

4. Purchace - chosen by musically inclined students.

5. Albany - still a great choice! I'd never call it a "party school". I happen to think that the social life there is a lot more normal that at super intense Stony Brook.

I am not sure about Buffalo. The rule was once that the university centers were all the best. I'm not sure if that's true any longer.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:51 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
The University at Buffalo considers itself as the flagship of the four SUNY University Centers. As a University at Buffalo graduate, here is my rundown of the SUNY university centers as I understand it:

University Centers:
Buffalo (USNWR #106, National), total enrollment 28,601
Stony Brook (#92, National) total enrollment 24,594
Albany (USNWR #131, National), total enrollment 17,500
Binghamton (USNWR #89, National), total enrollment 14,746

My take: UB is the largest, but Binghamton is the highest rated. IMO opinion they are all pretty close and certain centers offer better programs than others. Buffalo has well regarded medical, dental, architecture, and engineering programs. In the 1970s and 1980s the English Literature department at Buffalo had some poetry superstars. I know as recently UB's ranking has ranged from 90 to 106, so I think the USNWR rankings should probably taken with a grain of salt.

Buffalo's north campus is dreadful, particularly in the wintertime. The entire academic spine is a study in Brutalist architecture, and it looks like a prison. When it is snowing, it can be a miserable place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities