Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,394,059 times

Advertisements

Quite a few people post on here, and some do so regularly. They typically have good, practical advice and have a good handle on schools and majors.

I post here because:
- I've studied different fields and at different schools, and far away from each other
- I did not have this information for the first couple of sheepskins, because of the lack of internet
- I'm amazed at all the different majors, different options, and different educational sequences available
- I'm amazed at the different personalities of universities and how not all schools are right for all people
- I like statistics and trivia
- Universities are very cool in that they are like small cities, with some neat campuses, buildings, natural features, and views
- I would have done it differently but didn't have all the information I needed
- If I can help other people by providing pros and cons, without making up someone's mind for them, then I like providing that information

If you like to post here, or enjoy getting information from here, why so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,970,508 times
I post on the forum because prospective college students get lots of conflicting or outright ridiculous advice.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I post on the forum because prospective college students get lots of conflicting or outright ridiculous advice.
Like numerically factually incorrect data or inaccurate information about what a major and a university are REALLY like?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:07 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,255,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Quite a few people post on here, and some do so regularly. They typically have good, practical advice and have a good handle on schools and majors.

I post here because:
- I've studied different fields and at different schools, and far away from each other
- I did not have this information for the first couple of sheepskins, because of the lack of internet
- I'm amazed at all the different majors, different options, and different educational sequences available
- I'm amazed at the different personalities of universities and how not all schools are right for all people
- I like statistics and trivia
- Universities are very cool in that they are like small cities, with some neat campuses, buildings, natural features, and views
- I would have done it differently but didn't have all the information I needed
- If I can help other people by providing pros and cons, without making up someone's mind for them, then I like providing that information

If you like to post here, or enjoy getting information from here, why so?
Like you, I have a lot of college experience. I have been to college as a "traditional" student and as a non-traditional student. I have received financial aid as both, too. I went to school full time while working full time. I have taken courses at three different community colleges; attended a mid-sized private university in a major urban setting, then transferred to a small (just over 3,000 students) private university out of State. I have worked on campus, off campus, did 2 1/2 years of research on-campus, wrote major papers, worked on projects alone, worked on projects with a team, presented a few times (outside of the classroom), and other experiences I am forgetting at the moment.

I am also an information hound. When I was younger, I hung out at the local library or I looked things up in an encyclopedia because I just had to know. Now it is even easier with the Internet. So I research random facts, in particular about the schools I attended, and, when, I was looking at not only my first university but also my second, I read every possible review, fact, and other I could find on every school I was even remotely interested in attending. Don't even get me started on grad schools!

So, I post here because I have tons of first-hand experience and like to offer advice. Or correct false information.

I am also opinionated and usually highly caffeinated

Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am also an information hound. When I was younger, I hung out at the local library or I looked things up in an encyclopedia because I just had to know. Now it is even easier with the Internet. So I research random facts, in particular about the schools I attended, and, when I was looking at not only my first university but also my second, I read every possible review, fact, and other I could find on every school I was even remotely interested in attending. Don't even get me started on grad schools!

So, I post here because I have tons of first-hand experience and like to offer advice. Or correct false information.

I am also opinionated and usually highly caffeinated
This is funny, and familiar. I did NO research whatsoever for undergraduate. For grad school, I swung the pendulum the other way, complete with visits to various places.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,454,141 times
I post because I am interested in education. I enjoy being educated and I like campuses of universities. When working on my bachelors, I referred to it as my undergraduate degree and was immediately corrected by a professor that the degree comes after graduating, so, it's a bachelors, not an undergraduate degree.

So far as campuses. In St Andrews, Scotland, I often walked on the campus of the university and kept seeing a Fine Arts sign on one of the entrances, so, one day I went in and asked the secretary if I could visit one of the studios where students were working on art. "Oh, no," she said, "We don't DO art, we study art." Which took care of that... lol

Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 PM

455 posts, read 1,399,364 times
I post because collegeconfidential is for HS kids thinking they have to get into a top 50 uni or bust and its annoying. That and heliocopter parents overly concerned with the same thing. Degreeinfo isn't active enough. And CD has other subforums which I find interesting.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,749,085 times
When I first went to community college in 1991, I didn't have a clue what I was doing and no one in my family had attended college so they were no help. I ended up failing a class with a 30 because I didn't understand that it was okay to "drop"!

I ended up quitting, came back to school much much later (2008!) and I have been working slowly at all of it ever since. I still found that there were many things I didn't know, and I guess I was embarrassed to ask people in person for fear of looking foolish. For example, credit hours, I didn't understand why a class was worth three hours per semester if you had to attend 3 hours a week. I didn't know about how to plan to transfer or any of that and the advisers at my community college were rather worthless, so I would come here and read and read instead.

I have always had an interest in education though so I find the threads interesting and I like to read about other people's experiences. When I quit school back in 1992 to have my firstborn, I was very sad about it. I thought abut it nonstop from that point forward and was really disappointed with myself every year I didn't manage to return to school.

Sometimes I just think I am going to fail and never finish, because of the first time around, even though I am now just about a year away from my degree. Sometimes it seems rather surreal that I keep going forward and don't just quit and get a call center job.

I think I am much more aware of myself as a "college student", as part of my identity, at 41 than I was at 18 because it is not the norm. So I especially like to read about non-traditional students who were successful and to read about how other people have made career choices and what they think about education. I am one of those that would attend school even if I was filthy rich.

Last edited by Sally_Sparrow; 02-18-2013 at 08:13 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,926,498 times
Honestly?

The the walmart here has has a pick whatever beers you want in your six pack special going on.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:20 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,782,835 times
Well I remember back when I was in High School, you were told to get good grades, do well on the SATs, apply to college, finish it, then go on to be a success. Seriously...it didn't go much deeper than that. Turns out the majority of people in my HS did not go to traditional 4-year colleges (something like 20%). I really wasn't presented any other alternative since I graduated near the top of my class. Plus my dream was to go to college anyway (I was the first in my family to go).

I started college as a naive 17 year-old a thousand miles away at a private college. After 3 semesters I returned home to community college until I could make up my mind where to go next. That following summer, I enrolled in a large, public state university. Ironically, I still went out-of-state; but I was only 45 miles away from home and my tuition and cost of living was lower than anything I could find in-state.

Eventually the whole thing turned into a very expensive learning experience . I ended up dropping out once I admitted to myself that I had no clue what to do. All I knew was that being in school "was good". So I went to a technical school and earned an Associates degree (mainly so that I could have something to show for all those years and money). Eventually I returned back to earn my BA as a non-traditional student.

Also I found a job working for a local state university. I then opted to pursue (and later earn) my Master's degree via an online program. I like posting here because while I am a firm believer in the value of college; I think that college is misrepresented to young people and too many people in general approach it with no clue whatsoever. Then the result is frustration, giving up and sometimes a whole lot of debt. If I can offer just one person help or insight or comfort regarding the business that is called "college"; then posting here would have been worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities