Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM

354 posts, read 618,144 times

Advertisements

I spoke to someone a few weeks ago and he told me that the college he attended closed its doors 2 years after he graduated. The school was, I believe, on Long Island. It must be weird to be an almnus from a college that does not exist anymore. You usually don't think of colleges or universities going out of business but I did a little research and it has happened quite a few times. No question here. Just something that I have been thinking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Yeah. A small, private liberal arts college went belly up not too far from me. It took a few years, but I hear they are now back in business again. I agree it would be strange (and you better hope you kept a copy of your transcripts).

Old 07-18-2011, 06:49 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,379,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Yeah. A small, private liberal arts college went belly up not too far from me. It took a few years, but I hear they are now back in business again. I agree it would be strange (and you better hope you kept a copy of your transcripts).
That happened here too. The school was going to bought by a for-profit group. The HLC rejected it and they closed the school. This was last year. To add insult to injury the board sent the alumni an email asking for money a week later to close down the school. Currently one of the dorms is being used for shelter for flood victims

Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,906 times
It happens alot more often than you would think. Especially the smaller schools.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:31 AM

50 posts, read 197,772 times
theres a list of them here by state:

Categoryefunct universities and colleges in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 AM

301 posts, read 1,327,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARparty View Post

Thanks for the link. It's interesting, it's not that big a list of defunct schools when you consider how many places of higher learning exist in the States. I'm always amazed at the sheer number of universities and colleges in the U.S.A. and the vast majority of them continue to attract enought students to stay solvent---or at least keep their doors open.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:53 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
This is why you try to go to the reputable ones that have a real history, not the local for profit Fly-By-Night University.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
A word of caution about that link's accuracy. It lists a university in my state as defunct. It's not really defunct. It merged with another university. A major, very reputable university. Alumni are still able to get copies of transcripts. Employers, at least those in the area, are familiar with the university and the calibre of its students.

For those universities that completely close down, usually they make an agreement with another nearby university to house their records so that alumni records can still be accessed.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:27 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
A word of caution about that link's accuracy. It lists a university in my state as defunct. It's not really defunct. It merged with another university. A major, very reputable university. Alumni are still able to get copies of transcripts. Employers, at least those in the area, are familiar with the university and the calibre of its students.

For those universities that completely close down, usually they make an agreement with another nearby university to house their records so that alumni records can still be accessed.
Yeah, Westbrook College in Maine simply became the Portland campus of the University of New England, and Boston State University became Umass Boston.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
This is why you try to go to the reputable ones that have a real history, not the local for profit Fly-By-Night University.
With the crackdown on for-profits happening now that is yet another concern of attending there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities