Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:04 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Any and all of them that are in the works. But that wasn't my point. When I read things like...
...I detect an underlying attitude that there is something inferior about the architecture, or projects, proposed for construction (or already built) in the suburbs compared to what happens in the urban core. Perhaps I'm being oversensitive and missing something...?
Aquila, you have to admit though to a certain degree, that less thought and cost goes into suburban development.

... but regardless, I'm looking forward to your postings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,881 times
^agreed

Old 08-20-2008, 08:57 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,052 times
Oh, I'll be the first to admit those 4-story red brick boxes plastered all over the western side of the Union Centre interchange make me want to puke each time I see them. But how much thought went into incorporating the same "older Cincinnati style of architecture" in the original Banks designs? Doesn't Cincinnati have enough of that look throughout downtown and OTR already?

Old 08-21-2008, 07:45 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times
Quote:
Oh, I'll be the first to admit those 4-story red brick boxes plastered all over the western side of the Union Centre interchange make me want to puke each time I see them. But how much thought went into incorporating the same "older Cincinnati style of architecture" in the original Banks designs? Doesn't Cincinnati have enough of that look throughout downtown and OTR already?
you can go to denver, columbus, atlanta, etc and find the general design of the banks' architecture. for the welcome mat of cincinnati, it shouldn't be wasted horribly on something so ordinary.

rebuild the bottoms! (sans the crime and disease, lol)

Old 08-21-2008, 04:44 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
I know this isn't really between Cincinnati and Dayton (east of Dayton), and it's in a suburb so I don't know how it will be received, but I was wondering if anyone out there knows what is going into the former Rhoades Furniture store on N.Fairfield in Beavercreek? They completely tore off the front facade which was falling apart and replaced it with a new one. I've heard everything from an LA Fitness to a Dave and Busters might be going in there. Either way, it's nice that someone might finally be doing some redevelopment here instead of building yet another big box giant.

Last edited by wrightflyer; 08-21-2008 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Forgot a question mark

Old 08-22-2008, 10:34 AM

74 posts, read 281,835 times
I'm not anti-suburb, if you want to live there that's your business. I just don't want them to try and put suburban sprawl in an urban area. You come downtown for the vibes just as much as anything else and I don't think that you should have the same feeling in downtown that you have in West Chester. However I am not dissing W.C. I just want it to stay where it is and develop it's own character.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 AM

74 posts, read 281,835 times
Quote:

I see your point but I think a mix of "Cincinnati" style with more modern touches as well as any personalization on the tenets part will be better than an all or nothing approach as I seem to have seen in the early renderings.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humlermw View Post
I'm not anti-suburb, if you want to live there that's your business. I just don't want them to try and put suburban sprawl in an urban area.
I don't see how they could do that anyway. By definition, sprawl refers to the blatant raping of land for unorganized/unplanned commercial/residential purposes. There is no land downtown that hasn't already been occupied in some way or another in the past. Don't forget, at one time every neighborhood in Cincinnati was the result of "sprawl". Downtown itself wasn't always a blacktopped grid of streets and buildings. How about when people started raping the Mt. Adams hillside so they could put up their "suburban looking" modern homes on stilts?

Basically you're just concerned about the design of the project - not the fact that's it's being built, right?

Quote:
You come downtown for the vibes just as much as anything else and I don't think that you should have the same feeling in downtown that you have in West Chester.
And what feeling would that be?

Quote:
However I am not dissing W.C. I just want it to stay where it is and develop it's own character.
I think it's trying to do that, but it constantly gets knocked down by urban enthusiasts who think the urban experience is somehow far superior than the suburban.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:53 PM

I should probably just back out of this whole thread.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,303 times
Quote:
Don't forget, at one time every neighborhood in Cincinnati was the result of "sprawl".
Growth and white-flight are two different things.

Let's see some projects, aquila!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati