Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 9,238 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

So please don't get on me too bad...I know this question is asked a lot but in different ways and I have indeed researched on my own searching threads but still really can't find good answers for me in my case.

So here's the deal....I am wanting to move from the country in Highland County to the city in Cincinnati. I will be driving about an 1hr and a half to work but at this point, I don't care. I need the city and there are far more important things for me to consider beside work commute right now. I am originally from Michigan (Metro Detroit Area) and moved for work. I am currently trying to figure out which areas in Cincinnati or a nearby suburb would be best for me to move or at least start looking at.

I am in my early 30's, married, mature, clean and no kids yet (but trying); and I have pets (that are well behaved, spoiled and very well cared for). Ideally, a house to rent would be best but probably not realistic due to budget I guess. I rent a house now but am considering a nice townhouse (unless I find someone willing to rent a decent house to me with my pets). I have found some within my budget ($800 max; cheaper the better) but not sure of the neighborhoods.

I'm trying to figure out which ones would fit my lifestyle and budget best. We are like half urban / half suburban if that makes sense (not too urban, but not "uppity"). We don't go out much but I want city conveniences like lots of stores and shopping nearby, variety of restaurants, to be able to walk my dogs on decent sidewalks and not get stared at like I am from another planet and doing something abnormal, have nice scenery and friendly people around who don't look at me weird when I pick up after my dogs when they poop. I'd like a diverse culture if possible; this is one of the many reasons for the move. I'd like a safe and clean neighborhood and don't mean safe like many others. I'm not afraid of everything (I grew up in Detroit). Some petty crime, I don't mind...I just don't want to have to worry about getting shot, my wife raped or robbed on the street as the norm. No real violent crime. I want to be able to walk the street at night and not have to have bars on my windows and doors.

Please feel free to ask any questions that may help you help me. I appreciate any help you can provide or advise you could give. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
i can say that the pleasant ridge / silverton / kennedy heights / deer park section sounds like a very good fit. it was 'suburban' once upon a time but is now pretty much the middle of the city, depending on how you define these things. i recommend this area because i'm very familiar with it. other good bets might be around college hill or perhaps madisonville or fairfax.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:46 PM

6 posts, read 9,238 times
Thank you...I will check these out

Old 09-06-2012, 04:03 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Yes, if you are coming from Highland Co. that is pretty much country in our terms. I do remember going to Rocky Fork years ago and camping out on the banks in my father's station wagon. But overall Hillsboro may have just as well been NYC it seemed that far away.

I would say the recommendations of Pleasant Ridge, Kennedy Heights, Silverton and Deer Park are right on. These are the areas you want to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati