Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 06:32 AM

3,867 posts, read 3,151,540 times

Advertisements

From streetcar skeptic to believer
A story on how someone initially opposed to the construction of the streetcar changed his mind to now becoming a proponent favoring its expansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 12:22 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,586,895 times
I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these types of stories in the coming months.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:42 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,844,632 times
Don't forget, its proper name is the Cincinnati Bell Connector now.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:39 AM

236 posts, read 319,578 times
The most important thing the article pointed out was that a successful urban neighborhood needs is a grocery store and a hardware store.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:29 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,169,482 times
I predict you guys will see this happen a lot. It certainly has happened in KC, which is a lot like Cincy culturally (cautious, staid, little "c"conservative, uncomfortable/unfamiliar with successful, modern urbanism, transit-starved), and the streetcar projects are very, very similar. And the opposition to our streetcar has been uncannily similar to what's been voiced in Cincy, even using the same catch phrases and propaganda...

KC has consistently nearly tripled our daily ridership projections, with wildly successful weekend usage, and to date nearly 900,000 trips have been taken on our similarly sized line, which is almost 20% of our daily total transit usage (also very similar to Cincy's numerically).

Nearly as stunning is that, of KC residents surveyed, almost 25% have ridden the streetcar, which is maybe unsurprising for a place called the "Show-Me State"(as in "you have to show me for me to believe it"). But, unlike Cincy, KC's population is over 1/2 suburban, with an urban core of only about 250K people, which makes the ridership even more pleasantly surprising. Plans are already in the works here for an extension through the KC equivalents of CUF/Clifton (Midtown/Westport) all the way to the Plaza, which doesn't really have an equivalent in Cincy, but is like our "uptown", with our highest population density, our secondary business district and primary shopping district.

I have a feeling Cincy's streetcar will be just as successful, if not more so, and that Cincinnatians will come around and embrace the streetcar and it's expansion even more quickly than Kansas Citians.

Last edited by SPonteKC; 09-09-2016 at 08:19 AM..

Old 09-09-2016, 07:43 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,028,553 times
^

Old 09-09-2016, 08:33 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,102,324 times
I live in the KC area right now and I don't see all that much in common culturally with Cincy. KC is not that conservative and the people are what you would call "wild" and far less reserved, especially the women. KC has more of a western culture ingrained with the Midwest while Cincy is decidedly a mix of the Midwest and South with some Northeast influences.

That being said the comments concerning the streetcar in both places is at least more factually accurate. But bear in mind the Slight Rail line in KC is completely funded by taxpayers. In Cincy passengers are going to be paying to ride.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:37 AM

One thing to add. If the streetcar is expanded in Cincy, hopefully the developers and city government will have the foresight to insure that the do not add a line over the river to NKY. After seeing how the Grand Ave. bridge spanning I 670 in KC had to be taken down due to structural issues and won't be replaced for months, the KC street car is damn lucky they did not route the line over the Grand Ave. bridge. Better hope the bridges that it runs over don't need to to be replaced otherwise you have a whole lot of useless steel sitting in the ground to rust of months on end.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:44 AM

610 posts, read 798,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
One thing to add. If the streetcar is expanded in Cincy, hopefully the developers and city government will have the foresight to insure that the do not add a line over the river to NKY. After seeing how the Grand Ave. bridge spanning I 670 in KC had to be taken down due to structural issues and won't be replaced for months, the KC street car is damn lucky they did not route the line over the Grand Ave. bridge. Better hope the bridges that it runs over don't need to to be replaced otherwise you have a whole lot of useless steel sitting in the ground to rust of months on end.
Cincinnati city government probably wouldn't have much say in expanding the streetcar into NKY. That would fall to Newport and Covington, especially since Kentucky owns the river and the bridges. I can't see that happening without a federal grant, Kentucky's Tea party governor would never support it.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Cincinnati city government probably wouldn't have much say in expanding the streetcar into NKY. That would fall to Newport and Covington, especially since Kentucky owns the river and the bridges. I can't see that happening without a federal grant, Kentucky's Tea party governor would never support it.
Seems practical. Imagine a line over a bridge spanning the Ohio River suddenly needing to be replaced, or any bridge for that matter that has a rail line of this nature. While a freight train could reroute, slight rail line riders are in trouble as well as the taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati