Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:34 AM

329 posts, read 701,883 times

Advertisements

You can skip below the dashed lines if you are in a TL;DR mood to the stuff that matters, as the first paragraphs are an introduction on why I'm coming back and when.

- INTRODUCTION -

Hey guys you probably know me from my posts around here whether they are crazy or insightful but it doesn't matter. What matters is that I am coming back to Cincinnati for a higher paying engineering job at the end of August and I am VERY excited.

This may come as a surprise as the phrase "VERY excited" contradicts many of the recent posts that I have on this section of CD, but I am, especially after the recently interesting events and property crime that have happened to me in my Florida home. My home was burglarized and we had a car broken into in the stretch of 2 weeks while me and my family were on vacation in Vegas. Could this have been a co-worker; I told many people at work I was going to vegas; who knows. Not much was stolen just electronics with nominally high value but of little value to me and my family.

Sure, I don't seem very shaken by the recent events, but it definitely does shake me that this is the first time anything like this has happened to me and I was definitely shocked when we unloaded our baggage from vacation and my front door was unlocked and the handle damaged. My heart dropped. So yes... as you can tell I am very ready to come back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before moving to Florida you guys knew me as a very big supporter of the Westside and especially the Green Township area, but also being content and recognizing the flaws and problems with that side of town. Now I'm coming back to Cincinnati from Orlando and wish to either go back to the township or start fresh with another area altogether.

. Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry?

Answer: Yes, but none of the threads really match my current situation and salary.

. Where is you current location and environment?

Answer: Currently live in suburban Orlando, or slumburban due to the recent events I listed above, and I am used to driving 30+ mins to work. Used to big box retail and master planned communities, and personally wouldn't say I don't like it but at the same time I'm willing to try something new.

. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change?

Answer: Somewhat yes, even though the recent events that happened weren't exactly pleasant, a stable community with development happening year round (fast paced) is ideal.

. Where will your work location be?

Answer: Forest Park

. Maximum commute time desired?

Answer: I would like to keep it below 45 minutes, honestly I love driving so yeah.

. What is you budget for housing?

Answer: I would prefer something from $200-$250K as my salary has dramatically gone up.

. Rent or buy?

Answer: Buy to die in.

. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family)

Answer: Single Family I suppose.

. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths)

Answer: 4 Bedroom 3 bathroom would be ideal. No particular size.

. Other specifics?

Answer: Would prefer gated communities but I know that is almost nonexistent in Ohio for whatever reason, this is something I WILL miss from Florida. But other than that not any specifics.

. Neighborhood environment?

Answer: Suburban or Inner ring

. Urban, young professional, nightlife

Answer: Young professional, nightlife would be nice as I did frequent clubs in Orlando but could do without.

. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere: Ideal
. Family oriented: Yes
. Lots of same age kids, activities: Why wouldn't I want this?
. Great schools: Of course, we had an interesting experience in Florida.
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character: Not really into older builds.
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready: Ideal
. Diversity of income, race, housing?: Some diversity but nothing racist or anything but dominantly white.
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more): Small or large.
. Very safe, low crime area?: Can tolerate some crime such as domestic/property but an area with violent crime is a no.
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much?: Yes, property crime/domestic but no violent crime.
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities: Ideal

. Schools?
. Not applicable
. High Ranked Public schools: THIS
. Small or large district?: Not a concern either way.
. Diverse student body?: Yes, my kids need to be exposed to the REAL world and the only way to do this is to put them in a school where there is not just white/black kids.
. Strong athletics?: Yes, my son plays football in high school.
. Consider Private schools?: Yes, my kids attended St. Ignatius when we were here before the move and after me and the family came from Los Angeles to Cincinnati.
. Special considerations?: I guess not, I'm not very special

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.: Would be nice, but don't necessarily need to be able to walk to everything.
. Town/city community center for adults & kids: Would be cool but don't really see myself utilizing it too much.
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities: Ideal for me and my wife.
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs: Ideal
. Close promity to public transportation?: NO. I would not like to live along the route of the METRO, or in my opinion ebonic/homeless transporter. Seems that neighborhoods in Florida and when I lived in Ohio that were along the bus route of a "non-express" bus, but rather a daily usage bus, were declining or dangerous. You simply cannot deny this.
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues: Sure
. Jogging & biking trails: Would be awesome
. Other?: Hmm nah.

. Specific wants/desires?: Good answers
. Please identify any specific wants/desires not mentioned above.: More cowbell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 12:10 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,913,463 times
If you want diversity, and you are working in Forest Park, I suggest looking for a house in the Princeton district.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:17 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,176,682 times
Try wetherington. It's in West Chester. Here is a good example of a place you might like:

Address: 7615 Blue Fox Run, West Chester OH 45069
For Sale: $264,900
3 Beds, 3 Baths, -- sqft

View this home on Zillow:
Real Estate & Homes for Sale - Zillow

Old 07-05-2013, 02:04 PM

865 posts, read 1,476,425 times
There are several gated communities in West Chester. I would check there first.

EDIT: Welcome back to Cincy!

Old 07-05-2013, 06:05 PM

4,889 posts, read 13,866,301 times
Hmmmmm...maybe Fairfield?

Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 PM

natininja: Being from Cincinnati, I know this district is diverse but isn't exactly financially stable or necessarily the type of diversity that I'm looking for, in fact it is the limited white/black diversity I am trying to avoid.

OHKID: This looks like a great deal for a beautiful condo, I will look into this. Thank you.

Cincifan: Guess I've got some exploring to do. Thanks.

goyguy: This is the closest option I've had recommended so far to the workplace but last time I checked the Fairfield district is stumbling and/or the area is just facing hardship and deteriorating. Not necessarily noticeably.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:50 PM

16,127 posts, read 7,114,850 times
We lived in Montgomery when we were there, looong time ago. Sycamore schools and nice place to raise a family.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,913,463 times
So you want as much racial/ethnic diversity as possible, with as little economic diversity as possible. Is that basically it? Try Mason.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
So you want as much racial/ethnic diversity as possible, with as little economic diversity as possible. Is that basically it? Try Mason.
Cue kjbrill

Old 07-06-2013, 07:45 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,842,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
Cue kjbrill
Anyone who thinks economic diversity does not exist in Mason just does not know the area. True there are million dollar homes in Heritage Club. Many of the newer subdivisions are also in the higher range, as building lots are running out, since people will pay the price to live here. But there is a sizable older portion of the City where $110,000-$160,000 is the norm. Some of these homes are fine, others need updating. There was a small split-level down the street from me, which a family bought and put a huge 2-story addition on the back, completely gutting and rebuilding the original interior. But the almost 1 acre lot easily accomodated this. Right behind them is a bike path through the city parks and to all of the schools. They love the location.

There are some other sections of town which were built as housing for returning servicemen after WW-II. These are very modest, 2-bedroom 1 bath homes built on slabs. You have to know where they are to even find them. But when they go on the market they are immediately bought up, the main reason that puts you in the Mason School District.

As far as population diversity, it is definitely increasing. When I first moved here it was white, pure and simple. What has been most noticable in recent years has been the number of Middle Eastern, Indian, Indo-China, Chinese and Japanese people moving into town. And now the Mexican population is on the rise. But I will readily admit most of these nationalities coming here are in the upper scales of income, a majority being professionals of some type. They are coming to Mason for two specific reasons, a safe environment and the schools. The number of blacks is also increasing, but they may not be our largest minority. Again, it is obvious who is coming here, better incomes and a desire for safe environment and good schools. They are the ones currently buying the higher priced homes.

I make no bones about it, Mason is an expensive place to live, property tax wise. You can easily top the $5,000 per year property tax level without hardly trying. My brother tops $6,000 in a true value $325,000 house evaluation.

My house is 41 years old and I have lived in it 37 years. I have done the obvious replacements, new roof, new driveway, new patio, new furnace A/C, etc. But I have not substantially altered the original house. With my senior discounts, I get away with a $2,400 annual property tax. Still high enough in my mind and pocketbook.

Obviously, I love Mason and hope to stay here until forced out by health, etc. If the taxes remain within reason, they will not be a problem. The problem will be the cost of health care.

Why do I like Mason? Very simple the environment and city services we receive. On city services they do not nickel and dime us. If I decide to clean out the basement and create a large pile of trash at the curb, I just notify Rumpke I have an unusual amount. They may send up a separate truck and also take the old refrigerator as long as I have the sticker confirming the refrigerant has been removed. Charge to me - zero.

I have had whole trees, the most notable a Bradford Pear (never plant one of these POS) which grows like a weed. I came home one night to find half of it split off and covering my driveway. I spent most of the evening and half the night with a chainsaw cutting it up and piling it at the curb. I thought Oh My I can hardly see the street. In a few days, Mason street department came by with their chipper and removed the entire thing. It took several hours, but they did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati