Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 10,812 times

Advertisements

Do anyone remember a restaurant called Big Sixty located on central Parkway cincinnati, Ohio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 03:25 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reredollars View Post
Do anyone remember a restaurant called Big Sixty located on central Parkway cincinnati, Ohio?

Sure, it was a knock off of Frisch's or maybe Toddle House. Don't remember which but I do remember the burger. Big double cheese burger with a lot of sauce and lettuce, etc. Do I have the right place?

Old 08-06-2011, 03:27 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reredollars View Post
Are you thinking about the Sixty Second Shoppe? I believe that it had a lunch counter and a drive -in out front?

Old 08-06-2011, 03:39 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
They were called Sixty Second Shop and the burger the Big Sixty, a virtual clone of the Frisch Big Boy. I don't remember how many locations there were, but there was also one in Silverton on Montgomery Rd near Grafton's.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:43 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Also, I am remembering that Big Sixty had late or 24 hours. I mean it was open after Frisch's had closed.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:12 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Also, I am remembering that Big Sixty had late or 24 hours. I mean it was open after Frisch's had closed.
If you are the new kid in town and going up against the King, you had better do something different. I don't remember the hours, but if you are open 24 you need customers or even a minimal payroll defeats you. All I know is they are long gone and Frisch's is still here.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:08 PM

311 posts, read 1,752,618 times
Default Sixty Second Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If you are the new kid in town and going up against the King, you had better do something different. I don't remember the hours, but if you are open 24 you need customers or even a minimal payroll defeats you. All I know is they are long gone and Frisch's is still here.
There was a Sixty Second Shop in Hartwell on the southeast corner of Compton and Vine. It must have closed in the early 1960's. I am pretty sure that that branch was not open all night, FWIW.

I never ate at an SSS, but friends and family members did not have much nice to say about them. The general consensus was that, among the local short-order chains, Frisch's was at the top, with Carter's and the Hitching Post tied for second. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Yup, there was a Sixty Second Shoppe at Compton & Vine all right. The view from the Frisch's parking lot was unobstructed. Every few weeks the goyguy family would get treated to a meal at the home of the Big Boy. Sometimes I'd ask why we never went to the place across the street instead. Whatever the vague answer was, it's long since been lost to time. (Maybe they didn't give away coloring/comic books to the kids? LOL) As best as I can recall, the Sixty Second Shoppe on Vine St held on until about 1966-67. Then Burger Chef opened around the corner on Compton (where a Penn Station sub shop is now.) Probably the three-man tag team of Burger Chef and Jeff, and Big Boy, was what knocked it out of the ring.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
I never ate at an SSS, but friends and family members did not have much nice to say about them. The general consensus was that, among the local short-order chains, Frisch's was at the top, with Carter's and the Hitching Post tied for second. Your mileage may vary, of course.
I have to say that I ate at all three of them.

The ONLY thing that I remember about the Sixty Second Shoppe was that they had a curb service. For the most part, that was a necessity for my mother who was a sucker for ANY curb service. (Rumor was that there was a drive-in that served alcohol in N. Kentucky).

Carters served KFC chicken before Heublein took over as franchisor and pushed the local independents out of the way.

Hitching Post served great chicken, the best I had in Cincinnati.

One place that was also around at the time was the Golden Point Hamburger stands.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:51 PM

205 posts, read 983,728 times
We used to go to the SSS in Silverton sometimes although the Frisch's in Silverton and Montgomery were definitely the high school favorites. There was also a Carters on Montgomery Rd in Kennedy Heights although I don't think it had curb service.

SSS had a kind of distinctive sauce on their signature burger. If I recall correctly it had kind of a pinkish color.

Which I guess is better than green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati