Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:02 AM

279 posts, read 717,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post
Read all 4 pages and not one mention of Donato's?! What is wrong with you people? Blows LaRosa's away in taste, texture, quality etc... Years ago LaRosa's was had an awesome pie but they changed when Buddy handed the reigns over to the boys. The Boudnot store was Buddys first and we got all pizza there when I was a kid growing up. But now the King of the hill is Donato's.

There was a place over on the west side years ago. Heard they closed down when I was living in Chicago, but only 1 of their 2 store fronts closed. Fantastic pie...haven't had one in 2 decades. Anyone remember 'Trotta's Pizza'? Home of the "Lotta Trotta" pizza. If you like garlic, that was thee place to go. But Donato's is where the OP will enjoy quality za, the best in the nati'.
Donatos is pretty good but I could never agree that its the best. I like it for the fact that its very unique. Hell, thats one of the great things, all the pizza places are truly unique, at least to me. Each has differences which all add up to be totally separate. My brother loves the Mariachi pizza, but it can do some internal damage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Anybody ever go to Italianette in Silverton?
Hmmm, there was an Italianette in Hyde Park, but they changed their name to Hyde Park Pizza. Had their pizza once and it was decent, but then had a chef's salad one time and it was embarassing. Ruled them off my list for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
And I ate at Italianette when it was in Madison Place, but that was a looooong time ago. It was pretty good.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:32 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,777 times
i do really like donato's. very great pizza. also expensive and there aren't many around.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:36 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
I guess I'm going to have to try Donato's. I never imagined it was any good but I am open to new things.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,621 times
With due respect, to each their own, etc. etc. but I had a Donato's once and thought it was the worst thing I ever tasted. Of course, if everyone hated it as much as I did, they wouldn't even be in business at all.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:16 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,101 times
Donato's is an extremely corporate version of Ron's, Marion's, Cassano's or other Dayton style pizzas. Same crust style and same tavern-cut pieces. The crust is kind of repulsive to me, it's like a big waffle imprinted cracker that came out of a machine. I'll eat it if I am out with people who like Donato's and I will eat it if there's no other choices available. It's ok.

Donato's is to local Dayton style pizza the same as Domino's is to a true New York style pie. A corporate shadow of the original.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 PM

88 posts, read 233,040 times
Italienette is wonderful! Not thin crust but not too thick either. And great sauce and lots of toppings. Very family home-made!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
Donato's is an extremely corporate version of Ron's, Marion's, Cassano's or other Dayton style pizzas. Same crust style and same tavern-cut pieces. The crust is kind of repulsive to me, it's like a big waffle imprinted cracker that came out of a machine. I'll eat it if I am out with people who like Donato's and I will eat it if there's no other choices available. It's ok.

Donato's is to local Dayton style pizza the same as Domino's is to a true New York style pie. A corporate shadow of the original.
I love Donato's, but this is basically true. Cassano's or Marion's is better for thin crust. I do not order Donato's thin crust. I like the hand tossed thicker crust. It can be hard to order because they don't sell much of it. More than once i have gotten my pizza and had it have the wrong crust.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,953 times
Don't know if it's been posted yet, but apparently Marion's is expanding into Mason. Definitely good news!

Marion’s Piazza to expand into Troy, Mason | Dayton Business Journal

Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerri Ann View Post
Italienette is wonderful! Not thin crust but not too thick either. And great sauce and lots of toppings. Very family home-made!
i finally tried italianette in silverton and man it is good pizza. feels homemade without feeling like i could make it myself, if you know what i mean. another must-try in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati