Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2024, 12:32 PM

13,841 posts, read 8,126,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I agree that the Bible does not teach creation ex nihilo - creation out of nothing. Rather, God used pre-existing material/energy to create the universe or however many universes there may be. However, I do not believe that the human spirit was co-eternal with God but instead, each person's human spirit is created when that person is born. But . . .who really knows or can know?
Depends on which Bible you're referring to.

2 Maccabees 7:28 "I beseech thee, my son, look upon heaven and earth, and all that is in them: and consider that God made them out of nothing..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 12:46 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,111,269 times
Quote:
I agree that the Bible does not teach creation ex nihilo - creation out of nothing. Rather, God used pre-existing material/energy to create the universe or however many universes there may be. However, I do not believe that the human spirit was co-eternal with God but instead, each person's human spirit is created when that person is born. But . . .who really knows or can know?
So how did the material get here when he spoke "In the beginning"?

Old 04-05-2024, 12:59 PM

11,972 posts, read 3,793,075 times
Quote:
On the human spirit creation I’m in between the 2 positions, I more agree with what Katzpur is saying about our human spirit being co-eternal with God but lean more toward it coming from God through the word - and our soul is where development happens

I think there is a pre-existence of our spirit but not in a fully formed state prior to our physical birth/incarnation but our spirit is rational energy/spirit from God (the senses are from the earth/earthly)

It is more like spiritual matter/energy and it is our consciousness which is called ‘light’

I think this is what is being referred to in John 1 and also in Genesis 1

But I think we need to go to the Greek philosophical writers for their work on these matters which is what the church fathers/doctors/saints were doing and also those of the enlightenment period which preceded the reformation

In Revelation we see books being opened, and the book of life being opened- that is not meant in the literal sense, it is more about us being open to understanding the meaning contained within them

The ‘works’ are literary in nature that the ‘dead’ were keeping in the ‘tombs’ of the ‘fathers’

The ‘fathers’ being religious heads Like Calvin, Luther,

Rev 20:12**And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Rev 20:13**And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Rev 20:14**And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15**And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 04-05-2024 at 01:22 PM..

Old 04-05-2024, 01:07 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,134,576 times
Quote:
Minor clarification: We don't believe human spirits are co-eternal with God, but that the highly refined matter (we use the word "intelligences", loosely translated as the light of truth) from which God created our spirits is co-eternal with God. I know that's still different from the mainstream Christian belief that our spirits are created when we are born. I think I'd like to talk about this a little more. Maybe I'll start a new thread on the subject of the pre-mortal existence of man. (I'll likely be the only one participating with my point of view, but that's okay.)

Last edited by Katzpur; 04-05-2024 at 01:52 PM..

Old 04-05-2024, 01:10 PM

11,972 posts, read 3,793,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Minor clarification: We don't believe human spirits are co-eternal with God, but that the highly refined matter (we use the word "intelligences") from which God created our spirits is co-eternal with God. I know that's still different from the mainstream Christian belief that our spirits are created when we are born. I think I'd like to talk about this a little more. Maybe I'll start a new thread on the subject of the pre-mortal existence of man. (I'll likely be the only one participating with my point of view, but that's okay.)
Yes, I agree and yes I would like to see a thread on that

Old 04-05-2024, 01:30 PM

33,382 posts, read 26,671,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

2 Maccabees 7:28 "I beseech thee, my son, look upon heaven and earth, and all that is in them: and consider that God made them out of nothing..."
The ancient Hebrews had different beliefs about things and did not always agree on things.

In the Hebrew Bible, the word - bara - often claimed to refer to creation out of nothing, is used in Genesis 1:27 to refer to the creation of man. But according to the Genesis creation account man was created out of existing materials; the dust of the earth. Of course the Genesis creation account is not literal since man evolved, he wasn't created out of clay and placed in a garden.

The point is that the word 'bara' does not inherently mean creation out of nothing and so it cannot be claimed that the Bible teaches creation out of nothing.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:35 PM

13,841 posts, read 8,126,505 times
Quote:
The ancient Hebrews had different beliefs about things and did not always agree on things.

In the Hebrew Bible, the word - bara - often claimed to refer to creation out of nothing, is used in Genesis 1:27 to refer to the creation of man. But according to the Genesis creation account man was created out of existing materials; the dust of the earth. Of course the Genesis creation account is not literal since man evolved, he wasn't created out of clay and placed in a garden.

The point is that the word 'bara' does not inherently mean creation out of nothing and so it cannot be claimed that the Bible teaches creation out of nothing.
2 Maccabees was originally written in Greek.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Minor clarification: We don't believe human spirits are co-eternal with God, but that the highly refined matter (we use the word "intelligences", loosely translated as truth and light) from which God created our spirits is co-eternal with God. I know that's still different from the mainstream Christian belief that our spirits are created when we are born. I think I'd like to talk about this a little more. Maybe I'll start a new thread on the subject of the pre-mortal existence of man. (I'll likely be the only one participating with my point of view, but that's okay.)
I misunderstood you Katz. I reread what you wrote and understood it this time.

Starting a new thread on the subject sounds like a good idea.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
2 Maccabees was originally written in Greek.
It doesn't matter what language 2 Maccabees was written in. The Hebrew Bible does not have to be understood as teaching creation out of nothing. And 2 Maccabees is not part of the Hebrew canon.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:40 PM

64,097 posts, read 40,395,194 times
Quote:

In our consciousness we routinely create out of nothing using our imaginations. Such creations comprise a major part of our entertainment milieu. It is not remotely surprising that God would create out of nothing in His consciousness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity