Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:56 PM

941 posts, read 1,354,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Wow, that school is essentially broke. One wonders where the tens of millions needed for that project will come from since every school in the state had to endure a 7.5% funding reduction this year.
Cross your fingers and hope for donations. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,093,600 times
^^^ that's about right.

Being a Land Grant University will help with the process though. The great thing is that the school currently needs a few things that the Rehab complex offers such as a pool, recreation area, office space, etc...

Old 07-26-2013, 06:41 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,465 times
I hope all the best for WVSU.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 PM

WVSU will soon have new dorms! There are pictures in this article. The new residence halls look pretty sweet.

Bonds approved for W.Va. State student housing* - Education - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

Old 07-31-2013, 05:36 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
The drawings really look nice. Hopefully they will build this on the location of dilapidated Gore Hall.

WV State really has a beautiful campus.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 PM

That building is huge! No doubt will truly enhance the campus and will greatly increase the interest of on campus students. Wish that was there when I went to school there. That is a perfect location too, replacing two of the ugliest and oldest structures on campus. I'm really happy for my former school and know that they are on the right track with a new dorm, new basketball/athletic facility, new football locker rooms/weight room, the recent acquiring of the rehab center and all that it offers, plus the continued hope for a downtown media center.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,523 times
Sorry, but I concur with the historic preservationists that those two dorm buildings (Gore and Prillerman Halls) should be kept. WVSC now WVSU has lost most of its historic buildings. Look at that history of the college book that was published in the early '90s. Almost nothing of the original campus is left. And they just acquired the Rehab Institute property in January, 15 buildings on 20 acres of land, so why can't they find another place for student housing without tearing down the last remaining bits of WVSC history. Heck, why not tear down the football stadium instead and focus on academics for a change.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:10 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
SIMB, I can see your point. However, I think one of the problems they would face with preserving Gore Hall is that it is so far out of disrepair, that it would be extremely costly just to make it structurally sound. Dawson Hall and Ferrell Hall are historic buildings on campus that have already been renovated and preserved. I think it is a good move to start with something modern that future students will be proud to live in.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
SIMB, I can see your point. However, I think one of the problems they would face with preserving Gore Hall is that it is so far out of disrepair, that it would be extremely costly just to make it structurally sound. Dawson Hall and Ferrell Hall are historic buildings on campus that have already been renovated and preserved. I think it is a good move to start with something modern that future students will be proud to live in.
I agree with this. Though we cannot be quick to remove our historic sites, there must be some give. WVSU needs new dorms and new modern architecture. Otherwise, it just won't be able to compete with many of the other schools in the state. The campus must be balanced out in this regard. They have renovated some buildings, others must go.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:11 PM

Great news for WV State as they look to construct a $50 million agriculture research facility on their campus.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/new-50...officials-say#

Quote:
WVSU officials said the facility will support "work in ensuring the safety and quality of the food supply, from testing for foodborne illnesses and pesticide residues to analyzing controlled substances, while also providing laboratory and classroom space for WVSU faculty and students to train and conduct research."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston