Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2022, 07:53 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

I feel like Saint Albans deserves its own thread. It kind of flies under the radar in the Charleston area because it sits off to the side and doesn't have a highway running through it. From what I hear, the town is actually doing fairly well. This article talks about some of the new businesses in downtown https://www.wvgazettemail.com/dailym...0325895a1.html

I believe that Saint Albans is trying to distinguish itself among the other western Kanawha towns. They have the Tour De Coal, which is becoming a huge event. Their Olde Main Street is attracting young people. They have a decent selection of services in their city. Kroger just invested in their store there. They have a great high school, and the county has plans to build a new middle school there.

I would say that Saint Albans has a bright future. Its biggest downfall if the drugs, but that's a problem that isn't exclusive to SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 02:20 PM

The new interstate bring is expected to be open by late fall. They have really moved quickly on this project. Although the whole expansion of the interstate still has a ways to go, I am still excited for what this will do for commuters heading into and out of Kanawha County.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/new-i-...ater-this-fall

Old 08-31-2023, 06:22 AM

New 600 Acres worth of "off road" biking trails being developed at Green Meadow Park in Saint Albans. The trails will be maintained b the Hatfield and McCoy Trails Organization.

https://wvmetronews.com/2023/08/30/h...anawha-county/

Old 09-04-2023, 11:23 PM

56 posts, read 66,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I feel like Saint Albans deserves its own thread. It kind of flies under the radar in the Charleston area because it sits off to the side and doesn't have a highway running through it. From what I hear, the town is actually doing fairly well. This article talks about some of the new businesses in downtown https://www.wvgazettemail.com/dailym...0325895a1.html

I believe that Saint Albans is trying to distinguish itself among the other western Kanawha towns. They have the Tour De Coal, which is becoming a huge event. Their Olde Main Street is attracting young people. They have a decent selection of services in their city. Kroger just invested in their store there. They have a great high school, and the county has plans to build a new middle school there.

I would say that Saint Albans has a bright future. Its biggest downfall if the drugs, but that's a problem that isn't exclusive to SA.
I agree, there is a younger vibe going on in SA now, and there are some good ideas being implemented by ambitious go-getters. It's paying off, as you mentioned above with the events and businesses.

The wife and i decided 12 years ago to move to Putnam County but we still have family in SA and visit often. It's easily forgotten with no interstate access or even a spur route. The drugs, schools and crime are the main reason we left and we are glad we did, it was the best move for our family. But if i were in my 20's again, i wouldn't hesitate getting my start in SA, there is more to do now than there was 12-15 years ago.

Old 09-05-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaysValleyWV View Post
I agree, there is a younger vibe going on in SA now, and there are some good ideas being implemented by ambitious go-getters. It's paying off, as you mentioned above with the events and businesses.

The wife and i decided 12 years ago to move to Putnam County but we still have family in SA and visit often. It's easily forgotten with no interstate access or even a spur route. The drugs, schools and crime are the main reason we left and we are glad we did, it was the best move for our family. But if i were in my 20's again, i wouldn't hesitate getting my start in SA, there is more to do now than there was 12-15 years ago.
It's cool seeing how downtown Saint Albans is being rejuvenated with young people. There's a lot of things happening down there, and it's drawing them in. The Tour de Coal is a great thing for the area.

I want to see Saint Albans continue to grow it's businesses roster. It's a shame that the old Kmart is still sitting empty. Kroger should have moved into the space like they did in Scott Depot. I'm also surprised that there isn't a Sheetz over there.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:31 AM

With the demolition of the old Saint Albans Junior High building, town leaders are looking for something to fill the gap. Some ideas floating included town homes or a public park. I personally like the part idea, if done really well. It's not a huge lot of land, therefore anything built there will be limited.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/west-vir...high-property/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston