Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 12:48 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times

Advertisements

As a dog owner, landlord to 2 housecats and 1 outdoor, adopted, feral cat, I have to agree with those saying to build a catico. I've seen some really cool ones, some from the 2nd floor window with all sorts of perch points, one even with an outdoor ceiling fan. Agreed, it shouldn't need to be your expense, but sure is cheaper and safer than paying vet bills. The two indoor cats at my home have no desire to go outside, or I would be exploring this now. For our feline houseguests, I had cat entrances added to the interior doors and it's pretty cool seeing them wander. I'd love to design and build a catico, but I am certain they would be easily spooked. What they really enjoy is laying in front of our all glass storm door and watching the outdoor cats

So you trap this cat, what's to say something else won't come along to take its place? I'm betting no results talking to the owners, but do give it a try. Cats are not considered personal property in most states. If a dog defecates in your yard, it's a fine. If a cat does the same and destroys all your just planted flowers, not much will happen to the owner.

I'm waiting for someone to complain about our feral cat and the cathouse we just put up for her- I'm sure she's giving someone a hard time with the noise, just for defending herself. A former neighbor (a tenant) moved and left the cat here, in the neighborhood - real class, you know? We offered to catch her and bring her to them, but the offer was immediately declined. It's an older cat, she's been out on her own now for about 5 months and she's just now accepting our offer for food and soon, I hope, shelter. (She is going in the cathouse, we have a field camera on her), but she will never be able to come into the home with 2 housecats and two small dogs. If we can catch her, we will get her into the vet. I won't use the house to trap her - we are on a waiting list to borrow a trap.

I feel for your problem, but protect your own because you won't be able to control others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 02:11 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I know who owns the cat.
I would trap the cat and say it's a stray.
Animal control WILL NOT help me.
I have a fence topper (purrfectfence.com) already but the cat is trying to jump that into my yard.
I will NOT keep my cats inside my house due to some ahole cat. I bought a house and spent thousands on the fence topper to allow them to be in my backyard safely.
So you would intentionally trap the animal, misrepresent your knowledge about the owner and drop it off to get killed. How about your cats getting trapped because they are somewhere they do not have any business at?

Old 04-09-2024, 05:03 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Build your cats a catio.

Bingo. A friend of mine did this to his entire back deck. He even covered the open top with chicken wire to keep eagles and hawks from picking up a snackcat to go. He left a basement window open so they could go outside (into the catio) when they wanted some fresh air. It worked; the cats stayed safe.

Old 04-09-2024, 05:13 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Bingo. A friend of mine did this to his entire back deck. He even covered the open top with chicken wire to keep eagles and hawks from picking up a snackcat to go. He left a basement window open so they could go outside (into the catio) when they wanted some fresh air. It worked; the cats stayed safe.
We lost one cat to stray dogs one one to a hit and run driver. No more!
They have the run of the house, lost of well screened windows and a catio is on the horizon.

Old 04-09-2024, 05:17 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Hopefully, someone will find out where the OP lives and alert the authorities.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:19 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I don't think you understand. I wouldn't have time if the cat got into my yard. It would be instant fighting between cats. It is gunning for my cats
I do understand as I had an similar problem several years ago. I got one of those pump up squirt guns that put out a 20 foot stream. I just kept it by me when outside. I am a former cat owner and overall they are extremely stupid animals. It did take multiple times of me spraying the 2 I had problems with. About 2 to 3 times a year I would soak them down and then they would avoid my yard for several months. Then I would have to spray them again. One cat owner moved and the other decided to keep their cat in the house after they figured out why their cat was in extremely serious pain from being soaked in hot pepper oil every few months.

You seem to be fishing for an answer you want to hear. What is that answer?

Old 04-10-2024, 07:19 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I don't think you guys are understanding the situation here. My cat is in MY BACKYARD GETTING ATTACKED. It is NOT out roaming the streets. I had to spend another $1000 to finish off the other side of my 6' fence with the topper of the cat fence as I didn't have it before because my neighbor has a dog. Apparently that cat didn't care and entered my yard and attacked my cat. So, I just installed the rest of it. It is STILL trying to enter my yard after my ENTIRE FENCE is covered in additional cat fencing.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:20 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
For what? I doubt they will shoot ot do anything about the worthless cat harassing his cat.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
For what? Protecting myself and my cat. I live in Denver. Have at it

Old 04-10-2024, 09:13 AM

I also went and bought coyote urine and put it around mine and my neighbors gates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats