Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 03:05 PM

414 posts, read 299,715 times

Advertisements

The odd thing is the original situation. If she were to be distracted and backed out of a parking space, and getting t-boned, I can't think of anyone who would leave the scene without a report (the other car).

Unless the other driver was drunk, on suspension, etc.

A t-bone is going to leave more than a bruise, unless she was driving a MRAP.

So since the husband saw that the car was undamaged (or recently undamaged), what was she even calling about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 04:07 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,483,010 times
[quote=Orion99;40216365]The odd thing is the original situation. If she were to be distracted and backed out of a parking space, and getting t-boned, I can't think of anyone who would leave the scene without a report (the other car).

She called wanting to know if she was on our insurance---she isn't. She wanted "her" insurance information, which is what makes me suspicious. She said she was texting while driving, so apparently, she was the driver. When DH arrived, both DD and her BF were standing outside the car. The other driver had left. According to DH, DD claimed the other driver said oh, nevermind, or something to the effect, she said she was driving a company car and would just claim off their insurance.

Here's the "suspicious facts"

DD said she wasn't paying attention, due to texting, but somehow another car t-boned her

DH didn't see any signs of recent damage, although the car dd was driving had a lot of old damage ie a beater

DD said she did NOT exchange any information with the other driver, so.....
how did the other driver (or their insurance co) obtain DD name--spelled correctly, her name is an uncommon variant), along with DD address---our previous address, we had just recently moved, the letter was forwarded to us)

She couldn't describe the other vehicle, not even in general terms---car, truck, SUV, color, etc

The letter we received from the insurance company was addressed to DD at our previous address, I opened it by mistake. It is from a "real" insurance co, not "joes Insurance", and the claimant's name does check out, through Spoeko, at least its a real name located in this town

How did the other driver, assuming there was one, obtain DD full, correctly spelled name, along with her correct, albeit old, address?

Old 06-29-2015, 04:22 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,483,010 times
I suspected something immediately, but then, I'm "that type." DH, oth, is more easily led. Now, it just so happened, I was unable to respond by going there. I had just recently had a surgery on my hip and unable to maneuver, so they knew it would be Dad who would respond.

Both kids are real pieces of work. Please, no flames about that's how we raised them, yadda, yadda...regardless, that's the current situation

I highly suspect DD and her BF were somehow trying to pull something by getting our insurance information. I have been in correspondence with another poster who has a DD in a very similar situation, her DD ran off with a BF and refuses to have any communication with her family. Her BF family seems intent on getting the DD medical insurance information. They keep making up scenarios to pry the information out of the mother, which she won't divulge. Seems we are in a very similar situation.

Oh, and I did get a phone call a few weeks ago from someone claiming to be with some sort of insurance company, wanting to speak with my DD about the "accident". DD has her own phone, how did they get my number? I was half-awake, and somewhat in a fog due to the recent surgery and pain meds, but still on my guard. I simply said they had the wrong number, no such person here. Caller ID said unavailable. I asked who was calling, they hung up.

I feel someone is trying to set us up in some sort of scam, and its timed to take advantage of my recent surgery and not being quite "with it"

Old 06-30-2015, 05:49 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,734,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I suspected something immediately, but then, I'm "that type." DH, oth, is more easily led. Now, it just so happened, I was unable to respond by going there. I had just recently had a surgery on my hip and unable to maneuver, so they knew it would be Dad who would respond.

Both kids are real pieces of work. Please, no flames about that's how we raised them, yadda, yadda...regardless, that's the current situation

I highly suspect DD and her BF were somehow trying to pull something by getting our insurance information. I have been in correspondence with another poster who has a DD in a very similar situation, her DD ran off with a BF and refuses to have any communication with her family. Her BF family seems intent on getting the DD medical insurance information. They keep making up scenarios to pry the information out of the mother, which she won't divulge. Seems we are in a very similar situation.

Oh, and I did get a phone call a few weeks ago from someone claiming to be with some sort of insurance company, wanting to speak with my DD about the "accident". DD has her own phone, how did they get my number? I was half-awake, and somewhat in a fog due to the recent surgery and pain meds, but still on my guard. I simply said they had the wrong number, no such person here. Caller ID said unavailable. I asked who was calling, they hung up.

I feel someone is trying to set us up in some sort of scam, and its timed to take advantage of my recent surgery and not being quite "with it"

Your a regular Sherlock Holmes mystery writer! Enjoy the fun and have a great day I love how you have mad this so exciting and inserted a lot of additions to this little story. I hope you are seeing a counselor for your stress and conditions.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:41 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,287,105 times
I work for a law firm representing the insurance company. We handle mainly personal injury, but also subro and property damage cases. What I tell you here is not legal advice and based on Florida law.

Regarding your address and information, it is nit difficult for anyone to track you. An insurance company have access to public records searches that will reflect the most current information from the person. This can be tracked simply by a name, dob, ssn, etc. If that car she drove have her name on it, and the other driver told his insurance company, they will contact the owner and get a statement. The bf mom may have given out the information of your daughter, which in turn, leads to you because she has your address listed as most recent. That is how you received the letter.

Another way is from a police report, where your daughter information is listed, which again, goes back to you.

In FL, the driver and vehicle must be insured. If the driver borrowed the car and hits someone, both driver and owner are liable. This may seem unfair to the owner who wasn't present. If the BF mom says she stole the car, and there is proof that she did (I.e. police report made prior to accident), then the mom may be off the hook.

You shouldn't be liable for her, as long as she is of the legal age in your state. It's common to mail out letters to the wrong address.

Your daughter is screwed either way. She drove the car. If she was not at fault, and there was no police report, it's her word against the other driver. If she did cause the accident, one way or another, they will find out, usually with her sworn statement or a witness. Even if she has no money, some insurance company will still sue her for the damage she caused.

It sounds like the insurance company is trying to get in contact with your daughter. Call them, let them know they have the wrong address. They probably wanted a recorded interview with her to determine liability. You don't have to give tell them anything other than she is not living with you. They will hire an investigator and find her.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:06 PM

13,579 posts, read 7,544,103 times
What I would do is contact the insurance company from the number on the letter and explain that your daughter is an adult who you have very little contact with and the car she was driving was not registered to you. They might ask for an address for her but you are not obligated to give that to them. It's just a letter not a summons to go to court and testify what you know. Parking lot wrecks are not moving violations they have nothing to do with the police unless someone is injured and the other person drove away didn't render aid , or someone was driving drunk but the police have to catch the drunk behind the wheel. Your daughter has very little to fear from the insurance company because what they will do is give up on the whole thing and write it off. It won't be worth their trouble to chase down your daughter who has nothing to lose. What the other person did was claim the damage to their insurance company and told them it wasn't their fault when it probably was. If your daughter wants to clear this up she and her BF can work with the other drivers insurance company they will have both of them fill out an affidavit saying that the other person was at fault 2 against 1. Parking lot collisions are usually deemed both at fault both pay for their own car. Someone backing out of a spot is tee boned by someone driving who is at fault? There are no laws directing who is to yield there are people that say the person backing out should yield but some will say the person driving down the parking lot should have stopped?

Quote:
Your daughter is screwed either way. She drove the car. If she was not at fault, and there was no police report, it's her word against the other driver. If she did cause the accident, one way or another, they will find out, usually with her sworn statement or a witness. Even if she has no money, some insurance company will still sue her for the damage she caused.
I highly doubt they are going to waste their time on some poor girl that has nothing to get from her she won't even show up in court and they will get a default judgement end up getting nothing from her.

The police do not take reports for parking lot collisions unless someone was injured, or other laws were broken such as drunk driving backing into someone in a parking lot does not violate the law. Parking lots are private property would be no different then someone driving a car on a race track. Insurance companies will send a few letters then give it up. How I know this I worked in a claims department for one of the larges insurance companies. It's easier to just raise the insurance rate on someone then do all that stuff your talking about.

Last edited by kell490; 07-11-2015 at 02:18 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 08:37 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,287,105 times
If that is only so with my employer... our adjusters want to know what happened. If our insured swears up and down that he was not at fault, he was hit (even in a parking lot) and not injured, we go after the person with a subro suit to get the money back. We had one case, similar accident, we found her and subpoenad her for court. She was broke and was living in the streets. We recommended just letting it go, but our client will not have it. This case lasted for 3 years because the judge didn't want to be a jerk and requested to have this case set for trial. The insurance company spend so much money trying to find her again, pay for travel arrangements, and all that time to prepare for a trial where in the end, not surprisingly, the defendant didn't even show up as our investigator or process server couldn't find her.

All that just to suspend her license and a judgment against her should she ever decides to make payments. The costs of litigation and such amounted to more than what she owed.

And about making the police report in a parking lot accident? It's highly recommended. One of my coworkers was hit by another driver in the parking lot. No one was injured. They exchanged information and she agreed to work it without a police report. Two days later, after he made the claim through his insurance company, they told him her insurance carrier is disputing liability because she said he hit her. With no police report, they ended up working it out 50/50 and raised his premium.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:49 PM

39 posts, read 30,095 times
I don't believe you are responsible for your daughters actions. It wasn't your property that was in an accident. Also do you claim your daughter as a deduction on your taxes. I am from NJ and insurance policies all have uninsured motorist protection. They BF mother needs to concern herself with that issue.

Also in NJ you don't need to file an auto accident report with the DMV until the loss exceeds $1,000. I would not fill out any report from the insurance company, it would acknowledge her participation. Something is missing about how they knew your daughter was driving. Also it appears the other driver is trying to get money from his insurance company. The insurance company wants to validate the claim. However the driver did not ask for the police to write up an accident report, instead left the scene. Could be there was other damage on his vehicle that he is trying to get compensated for, using the undocumented accident. Anyway just ignor, the insurance company doesn't want to pay any money out so they probably won't keep bothering you. Instead they will just deny the claim.

This forces the person who drove into the side of the vehicle your daughter was driving to contact her. If he was going to do that then he should have stayed at the accident scene and had a police officer write up an accident report, but he didn't.

In the end your daughter is safe, however let this be a warning on how fragile her life can be when you put yourself in a situation that can really cause damage. What if she caused the accident and a person was hurt or killed, driving without a license would probable get her in legal problems with the government, which could result in Jail time.

She should take this experience as a sign that someone has sent, to get her back on the right track.

Regards

Old 08-12-2015, 10:33 PM

519 posts, read 780,444 times
What in the hell is "DD?"

Old 08-13-2015, 07:25 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,722,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
What in the hell is "DD?"
People around here often use "DH", "DD" to refer to "darling husband", "darling daughter". I think I often detect a note of sarcasm when they say it, but I can't be sure.

Last edited by jackmccullough; 08-13-2015 at 07:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance