Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 03:33 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times

Advertisements

I'm tinkering with the idea of selling my 2023 VW GTI S. When I bought it almost exactly a year ago, it was a choice between it and a new WRX and the GTI won out on overall sophistication, the amount of technology included in the base model (heated seats and steering wheel were a particularly big hit since we live in the Twin Cities), those plaid seats and a pretty good deal (I bought it at $1K below MSRP). And the fuel mileage has been nothing short of stellar (I can get upwards of 38 miles per gallon of regular on the highway without trying too hard).

But now...it just feels like the novelty has worn off and it's just meh. The acceleration is alright, but the interior material quality is only so-so (plenty of really annoying squeaks and rattles that made me sell its predecessor - a 2017 Focus ST), the hatch is surprisingly cramped and it just feels like I settled rather than getting what I had originally wanted - the GR Corolla (the only reason I don't own one is the fact that it didn't come in the Blue Flame color it will have for 2024 - but, alas, still in the wrong trim). So since it hasn't depreciated too much (I paid $32.4K and Carvana just offered me almost $28K for it, so I figure I can get close to $30K selling private party), now might be a good time to let it go. The problem is...what do I replace it with? Let's say my budget is $10K on top of whatever I get for the Golf.

Three things I will absolutely, 100% not consider are an EV, an SUV or an American brand. Full stop, not even up for discussion. With that in mind, off the top of my head, I can think of the following:

- Hold it for another year and hope Blue Flame trickles down to the Core/Premium trims of the Corolla for 2025MY. I know that if I make a deal with myself now and buy a white 2024, I am going to hate it and myself for buying it (yeah, I'm one of those weird people for whom color is THAT important). Buying a Circuit Edition is going to set me back almost $50K and I'm just not willing to do that.
- Elantra N. Renewed for 2024MY, available in a fun blue color and just generally looks like a riot. Can even potentially get it with an automatic to appease the wife (although I probably wouldn't). My only concerns are insurance issues (I know the N isn't on the list of those easy to steal with a mobile phone and a minute of coding experience, but I don't fully expect all insurance companies to be aware of it) and the need for two sets of tires. The latter might not be a huge issue since we have a place to store them AND it would allow for better performance on summers than the all-seasons on the GTI, but it's still an expenditure.
- 2017+ (or whenever CarPlay became available) BMW 2-series coupe. Obviously used, so there's variability over history and the ensuing potential need for investment, plus the BMW tax on maintenance. Still, I've driven a couple and even in the most basic 228i trim with an auto they're fun as hell.
- Miata? I'm 41 tomorrow, so maybe it's time for that midlife-crisis-light mobile? Not awesome for midwestern winters, but maybe with the right set of tires and a pallet of bricks in the trunk? I generally don't like RWD cars, which is why the Toyobaru twins aren't on this list, but the Miata IS a classic.
- Mazda 3 Turbo. Have never driven one, but am kind of curious. I like the looks, but don't like the auto-only transmission option and a lack of fun colors.
- BMW 3-series wagon. Would be older and even more fraught with potential issues, but I do like my wagons...
- The newest Volvo C30 I can find. I had a 2008 for a couple years a few years ago and liked it, but it was too soft and heavy for me. That said, I still kinda miss it.

If the Golf R wagon or the new Focus ST were available in the States, I would have gladly broken the bank for either, but, alas, not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 04:31 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
From your Miata comments, it sounds like this will be your only car, and it has to be a car for all seasons and all purposes, and you want it to be sporty, but not too cramped, and a little upscale, but not too expensive. To be honest, I don't think a GTI was a bad choice then, and I am not a VW fanboy :-).

The Civic Type R is a good deal larger than either the Golf or the GR Corolla, and it is said to have very sophisticated chassis tuning, and the latest one looks a lot more grown up than its predecessor. It's not cheap, but neither is a GR Corolla. From what you're saying anyways, I'd give that a good look.

Old 11-29-2023, 04:47 PM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Based on your comment regarding the Miata, the only appropriate car setup is manual and rwd and I bet thats why you're bored with the GTI. A set of snow tire is all you need and you're better than 95% of the SUV's in the winter.

I'd probably skip the Miata and go for something with more meat on the bones, like a Supra or Nissan Z. As a backup i'd go with a manual 3-series or 4-series if you can find one.

Old 11-29-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
From your Miata comments, it sounds like this will be your only car, and it has to be a car for all seasons and all purposes, and you want it to be sporty, but not too cramped, and a little upscale, but not too expensive. To be honest, I don't think a GTI was a bad choice then, and I am not a VW fanboy :-).
The GTI was, in all fairness, a great choice. But its reputation preceded it - when I worked for Ford on the ST line, we always considered the GTI a hot hatch for the 40+ crowd - a bit more refined, a bit softer. I'm finding that to be true, even as I enter that very demographic. Apparently I'm not that person yet.

I don't need upscale, necessarily (e.g., to me that's stuff like leather seats which is an immediate deal-breaker), but I do want the Golf's basic creature comforts.
Quote:
The Civic Type R is a good deal larger than either the Golf or the GR Corolla, and it is said to have very sophisticated chassis tuning, and the latest one looks a lot more grown up than its predecessor. It's not cheap, but neither is a GR Corolla. From what you're saying anyways, I'd give that a good look.
I wouldn't be able to swing a new one (and if I was, I'd go for the GR's Circuit Trim) and am a bit leery of high-performance compacts in the used market (plus, they hold value pretty well, so it might not even be that much of a bargain). If only Honda made a Civic Si in a hatch... I could always try the new Integra, I guess, but 200 hp might not be enough.

Old 11-29-2023, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Based on your comment regarding the Miata, the only appropriate car setup is manual and rwd and I bet thats why you're bored with the GTI. A set of snow tire is all you need and you're better than 95% of the SUV's in the winter.
I'd probably steer towards AWD rather than RWD (RWD is also one of the reasons domestics don't work for me). But yes, I think two sets of tires would be the way to go, even with AWD.
Quote:
I'd probably skip the Miata and go for something with more meat on the bones, like a Supra or Nissan Z. As a backup i'd go with a manual 3-series or 4-series if you can find one.
A Z is an interesting idea (the Supra's looks are just too much for me). Wonder how well it ends up doing and whether or not Nissan has any trouble moving them (which could mean discounts). A BMW would be great, but a used German bought by someone who isn't comfortable with a wrench is a real lottery.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:02 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
The GTI was, in all fairness, a great choice. But its reputation preceded it - when I worked for Ford on the ST line, we always considered the GTI a hot hatch for the 40+ crowd - a bit more refined, a bit softer. I'm finding that to be true, even as I enter that very demographic. Apparently I'm not that person yet.

I don't need upscale, necessarily (e.g., to me that's stuff like leather seats which is an immediate deal-breaker), but I do want the Golf's basic creature comforts.

I wouldn't be able to swing a new one (and if I was, I'd go for the GR's Circuit Trim) and am a bit leery of high-performance compacts in the used market (plus, they hold value pretty well, so it might not even be that much of a bargain). If only Honda made a Civic Si in a hatch... I could always try the new Integra, I guess, but 200 hp might not be enough.
I agree - the Si is a tremendous bargain as a sporty sedan, but the practicality of the hatchback form would close the deal - I think they'd sell a lot of those if they made them. I am not sure, but I think Honda knows enough to know this, and may be deliberately avoiding it to keep the shoppers' attention on the more exclusive and considerably pricier Type R.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I agree - the Si is a tremendous bargain as a sporty sedan, but the practicality of the hatchback form would close the deal - I think they'd sell a lot of those if they made them. I am not sure, but I think Honda knows enough to know this, and may be deliberately avoiding it to keep the shoppers' attention on the more exclusive and considerably pricier Type R.
Or the Integra. Which isn't horribly expensive, to be fair, but still not powerful enough for me for what it costs.

Old 11-29-2023, 09:06 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
Quote:
..........But now...it just feels like the novelty has worn off and it's just meh. The acceleration is alright..........
The acceleration is something you get used to over time so don't get caught up in a 'the grass is always greener' line of thinking.

My R6 feels down right scary after not riding it for a few months but after a while you just get used to it. But just because I become accustomed to the extreme acceleration doesn't devalue it in my eyes or make it any less fun to ride. As far as I'm concerned it's the most fun road going/racing vehicle on the planet and I still think that even when some rich guy on a Ducati Panigale goes rocketing by me down the straight at a trackday.

Last edited by CCS414; 11-29-2023 at 09:16 PM..

Old 11-29-2023, 10:25 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
I'd probably steer towards AWD rather than RWD (RWD is also one of the reasons domestics don't work for me). But yes, I think two sets of tires would be the way to go, even with AWD.A Z is an interesting idea (the Supra's looks are just too much for me). Wonder how well it ends up doing and whether or not Nissan has any trouble moving them (which could mean discounts). A BMW would be great, but a used German bought by someone who isn't comfortable with a wrench is a real lottery.
Keep ins mind that tire and road traction is excellent in FWD cars, specially today with the traction and stability controls used now. My wife drives a 2010 RAV4 V6, but is always afraid to drive it on the icy roads in the interior of Alaska, so we have 2 sets of tires, Blizzak studies for winter, and a set of all-season tires for the rest of the year. For the Corolla I also have two sets of tires, one for winter, and the other for the rest of the year. The Corolla and a set of studies winter tires (Blizzak in this case), is quite tenacious on the sleekest of ice, and handle snow quite well. These type of tires wear fast when driven on dry and warm pavement, so I replace them before the snow melts.

Our two trucks have one set of all-weather tires each. These handle some ice and snow without problems, but if very slippery then we have to set the traction to 4WD 9Tundra only). The Silverado's traction is set on 4WD-Auto all winter, and the Tundra is set to 2WD if not slippery, and 4WD if slippery. This can be done while the truck is moving, somewhere below 62 MPH (if I well remember). The only time I have to stop the Tundra and then put it in neutral is if switching from 4WD high to LO and vice versa. But not between 2WD and 4 High.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:12 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Considered just tuning the GTI? APR has it putting out 345hp and 404 ft-lbs on 93 with a simple stage 1 ecu update. And perhaps actually more impressively 328hp on 87. Which would make the acceleration much more than alright. But wouldn’t address your squeaks and such. Probably uncover some new ones. I’ve heard build quality has been coming down from prior generation GTIs as they try to cost cut.

They even have a warranty program if that’s a concern and some VW dealers are partners and will actually do the APR tune.
https://www.goapr.com/products/softw...0T-EA888-4-LK2

Other than that given your hot hatch propensity have you considered a JCW Mini? They’ve lost some of their quirkiness as they’ve become more BMW but gained massively in reliability in the current generation and are still a fun go kart experience.

Or for the type of money you’re throwing around just getting the GR and having it wrapped or painted in your desired color.

Last edited by notnamed; 11-30-2023 at 12:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive