Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 07:37 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,623,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
What’s the road the Smoking Tire guy Matt Farah always uses outside of LA? He tests every single car on it…
I dont know specifically, but there is a lot of automotive testing and reviewing on ACH. Got a link? I'll see if i recognize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 07:49 PM

11,668 posts, read 6,094,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I-70 Through Glenwood Canyon, and US-101 on the Oregon Coast, handsdown.

I love that drive along Glenwood Canyon. Easy, relaxing, dramatic, and beautiful.

Old 11-05-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I really don't get the appeal of the Tail of the Dragon. It looks like most any generic mountain road in the West. Okay maybe it has more curves per mile, but I'm not sure that makes it better, and it sure doesn't make it more scenic. I can think of a half dozen Oregon Forest Roads near me that are paved but more challenging then the Tail of the Dragon. I can guarantee you they would not take that race car on any of those. If they did they would have to drive it at 15 mph.
I never enjoyed motorcycling on slow, tight curves and swithbacks. It was way too much work. I always loved curvy roads with fast sweepers with quick transitions between them. You can keep speed up and just flow. Roads like Tail of the Dragon are way too much work to be enjoyable to me. I can see how adrenaline junkies would like it, but I am a flower sniffer.

Old 11-05-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Its a "once in a lifetime" bucket list road - once but not twice. It also has the benefit of being on the east coast, where there are just fewer great 'mountain' roads (IMO). I don't think it would have the same prestige if it was in the CA foothills (an example is angeles crest highway, glendora mtn road, stunt, latigo, etc), which are much better driving roads, but not really a bucket lists for most people because they're readily accessible.
Since moving to East Tennessee, I have found twisty mountain roads not unlike Tail of the Dragon.

I think the appeal for the Dragon is just the sheer number of curves per mile. That gives it bragging rights. Bikers gave it a mythos over time, but the drive is not unique in the Smoky Moutains.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:26 PM

20,182 posts, read 9,078,459 times
agree with OP and others. Ouray to Durango Rt 550.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:42 PM

22,374 posts, read 19,288,324 times
the first time i ever went to New Mexico, it was driving from eastern Washington heading south, with everything i owned in my vehicle, moving to a state that I had never been to, did not know anyone living there, and did not have a job. I literally picked it off the map and said I'm moving there.

so driving south, watching the scenery change, somewhere along the roads in Utah, was the first time i ever saw the red rock cliffs and rock formations and it was so beautiful i literally could not maintain my concentration to drive safely. I was afraid I was going to run off the road because I kept looking and staring. I had to pull over and stop the car, breathless with the beauty, and just stare. I had never seen anything like it. I fell in love with the Southwest.

Old 11-06-2022, 02:13 AM

20,299 posts, read 37,240,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
The Seward Highway from Anchorage, AK to Seward is pretty nice.

Worst for me has to be the NJ Parkway.

Also the Richardson Highway from Delta Junction to Summit Lake and Paxon, and then from Glennallen to Valdez. From Glennallen toward Palmer/Anchorage own the Glenn Highway. The Denali Highway from Paxon to Cantwell, too. Lots of sceneries, and wildlife. Out of Anchorage around the Kenai Peninsula

Old 11-06-2022, 05:32 AM

6,576 posts, read 7,176,793 times
Quote:
I dont know specifically, but there is a lot of automotive testing and reviewing on ACH. Got a link? I'll see if i recognize it.
He’s worked at Road & Track forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_G9VNn2T5g

Old 11-06-2022, 07:51 AM

15,435 posts, read 9,132,575 times
Quote:
Its a "once in a lifetime" bucket list road - once but not twice. It also has the benefit of being on the east coast, where there are just fewer great 'mountain' roads (IMO). I don't think it would have the same prestige if it was in the CA foothills (an example is angeles crest highway, glendora mtn road, stunt, latigo, etc), which are much better driving roads, but not really a bucket lists for most people because they're readily accessible.
The only reason the Tail of the Dragon would be on my bucket list, would be to verify that it's as overrated as I think it is. I will hand it to Tennessee. They know how to promote their state. Tennessee is like one big tourist trap from one end to the other. They take an average unremarkable forest road, that probably few people had even heard of, and start calling it the Tail of the Dragon. They totally flat out lie about the number of curves it has. They just make up a number and suddenly people from all over the country, even the world are coming there to drive on that road.

The Angeles Crest Highway is really nice, but if California could just find some money to repair their crumbling infrastructure and repair and reopen SR-39 that looks like it would be even more spectacular. That road has some crazy curves.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:54 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,623,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
He’s worked at Road & Track forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_G9VNn2T5g
I PM'd you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive