Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 12:07 PM

4,880 posts, read 4,824,050 times

Advertisements

The million dollar highway from Silverton to Ouray is a great drive. we do it every few years. A nearby excellent drive drive is 491 from Cortez to 141 north to Gateway (and the Gateway Auto Museum.

I would also vote for Mattole Road, south from Ferndale CA, along the Pacific, through the fog and then up into the Redwoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 12:20 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,259,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Worst: I-75 from Tampa southward.

Any road in Florida that has I- as part of its name competes for the worst road, except the Sunshine Skyway Bridge that is part of I-275 over Tampa Bay.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:51 PM

15,435 posts, read 9,132,575 times
I-70 Through Glenwood Canyon, and US-101 on the Oregon Coast, handsdown.

Old 11-05-2022, 01:30 PM

15,435 posts, read 9,132,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
My two favorite roads are Tail of the Dragon and surrounding roads in TN/NC, and Hawks Nest in northern NJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69wBSKl7rZw

I really don't get the appeal of the Tail of the Dragon. It looks like most any generic mountain road in the West. Okay maybe it has more curves per mile, but I'm not sure that makes it better, and it sure doesn't make it more scenic. I can think of a half dozen Oregon Forest Roads near me that are paved but more challenging then the Tail of the Dragon. I can guarantee you they would not take that race car on any of those. If they did they would have to drive it at 15 mph.

Old 11-05-2022, 01:43 PM

23,600 posts, read 24,130,589 times
Highway 1 & PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) from Los Angeles to The Bay Area, scenic and beautiful.

Sunset Boulevard going west (Los Angeles) from the gritty part of Hollywood through West Hollywood, Beverly Hills & Pacific Palisades to Pacific Coast Highway (PCH). You’ll pass the famed Sunset Strip on this route and many beautiful homes.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:44 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,714,444 times
Agree about Durango to Silverton to Ouray. Gorgeous drive.

Old 11-05-2022, 05:19 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times
I'm not a fan of I-40. Between OK, AR & TN it's too long and too flat. Been down it too many times. Just shoot me.

Old 11-05-2022, 05:59 PM

15,540 posts, read 7,565,501 times
Great drives
Arkansas Route 7 from Russellville Arkansas to Harrison, AR. Beautiful views of the Ozark St Francis National Forest. 've done that drive three times, once in an SUV headed North on our way to Branson, and missed a turn somewhere and the GPS took us that way, and both directions going to the Buffalo River for Scout camp, in the same SUV towing a trailer. I really need to do it in a vehicle that's not an SUV.

Hwy 90A from Shiner to Seguin, TX. You get some great views of the escarpment that leads up to the Edwards Plateau, and it's very pretty. Not really curvy.

Skyline Drive n Colorado, but that's a memory from childhood in the 60's

Mulholland Drive in LA Great views into LA and the San Fernando Valley.

Not so great drives
I-15 to Las Vegas from Barstow. Not a lot to see and people drive really fast. I was keeping up with traffic on that drive in 1998 in my Jetta, and looked down and was going 105mph.

California 33 from Taft to Coalinga. Pretty boring, and California state highways suck. Narrow, no shoulders.

California 99 from Bakersfield headed North. It's pretty flat and almost entirely farm land.

Old 11-05-2022, 06:38 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,623,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I really don't get the appeal of the Tail of the Dragon. It looks like most any generic mountain road in the West. Okay maybe it has more curves per mile, but I'm not sure that makes it better, and it sure doesn't make it more scenic. I can think of a half dozen Oregon Forest Roads near me that are paved but more challenging then the Tail of the Dragon. I can guarantee you they would not take that race car on any of those. If they did they would have to drive it at 15 mph.
Its a "once in a lifetime" bucket list road - once but not twice. It also has the benefit of being on the east coast, where there are just fewer great 'mountain' roads (IMO). I don't think it would have the same prestige if it was in the CA foothills (an example is angeles crest highway, glendora mtn road, stunt, latigo, etc), which are much better driving roads, but not really a bucket lists for most people because they're readily accessible.

Old 11-05-2022, 07:28 PM

6,576 posts, read 7,176,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Its a "once in a lifetime" bucket list road - once but not twice. It also has the benefit of being on the east coast, where there are just fewer great 'mountain' roads (IMO). I don't think it would have the same prestige if it was in the CA foothills (an example is angeles crest highway, glendora mtn road, stunt, latigo, etc), which are much better driving roads, but not really a bucket lists for most people because they're readily accessible.
What’s the road the Smoking Tire guy Matt Farah always uses outside of LA? He tests every single car on it…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive