Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:59 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,985,018 times

Advertisements

Go to eb*y. Search COMPLETED listings.

But with any used car there are too many variables. So prices vary dramatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 01:11 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times
I wonder if you could test drive a car to a Carmax and have them appraise it heh. Then just add on the spread of whatever nada,kbb,Edmunds say is the difference between trade in and retail.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:25 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic13 View Post
Thanks for your help. Couple things. First is that I don't know what a good price is, so I really need to find the sold prices to get a good gauge on current market value for the car I want to buy. But even on Truecar.com, I don't see an option for sold vehicles. What am I missing?

Second, how do I get my own financing? Where do I go? A bank? And wherever I do go, is it always better than going through the car dealership? Lower interest rates or is there some other reason that it's better to get my own financing?
Usually you can go to a bank or credit union and get approved for a loan. They will issue you a check not to exceed x amount. You walk in write the check out to the dealer for a amount you agreed upon (not to exceed your loan amount) and get your car,

Personally I would bring my own financing as dealers tend to have backroom deals with loan companies. Remember if you get a car loan from a dealer they are not required to give you the lowest loan you qualify for. Say you qualify for a 3% loan but try throw a 3.5% loan on the table and you bite. They will sell the loan to you at 3.5 give it to the bank that agreed t take it at 3% but the loan pays 3.5% (you) and they pocket .5% on the backside from the loan company as a return.

When I go buy a car I go in with one thing in mind. To get the best deal for ME. If dealer A won't dealer B might and dealer C and D will. Where and what dealer I get the car makes no difference to me.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:25 PM

15 posts, read 198,955 times
uk: Used, yes. Checked CL and not much came up. Just one car and it was priced similar to what I've seen online.

Notnamed: I wonder, too. I mean I'll definitely ask to get a PPI, but I wonder what entails getting a car appraised with a place like Carmax.

Unit731: Good call on eBay. Seen two XLE Camry's (which is what I want) sell for half what I've seen them listed for on some of these online sites. And they have similar mileage, too. I mean I'm sure there are some variables out there, but that's a pretty huge markup any which way you look at it, I would think, no? I was intending to ask the dealership for $2,000 off of sticker price, but now I honestly don't even know if I should ask for more or not. Feeling clueless does not feel good. lol

Old 01-22-2017, 01:27 PM

15 posts, read 198,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Usually you can go to a bank or credit union and get approved for a loan. They will issue you a check not to exceed x amount. You walk in write the check out to the dealer for a amount you agreed upon (not to exceed your loan amount) and get your car,

Personally I would bring my own financing as dealers tend to have backroom deals with loan companies. Remember if you get a car loan from a dealer they are not required to give you the lowest loan you qualify for. Say you qualify for a 3% loan but try throw a 3.5% loan on the table and you bite. They will sell the loan to you at 3.5 give it to the bank that agreed t take it at 3% but the loan pays 3.5% (you) and they pocket .5% on the backside from the loan company as a return.

When I go buy a car I go in with one thing in mind. To get the best deal for ME. If dealer A won't dealer B might and dealer C and D will. Where and what dealer I get the car makes no difference to me.
Thanks a lot for the explanation. I appreciate it. Will definitely go to my bank.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:40 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I'm not aware of any site that tracks sold prices.
https://www.manheim.com/

This is accessible by paying dealers. It lists the actual sale prices of every car/truck imaginable!

Old 01-22-2017, 03:49 PM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
https://www.manheim.com/

This is accessible by paying dealers. It lists the actual sale prices of every car/truck imaginable!
Only cars sold at it's auctions.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:07 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,204,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Only cars sold at it's auctions.
Yes it may be cars that only sold at auction but you can use that information to extrapolate what a car will bring at market. Over on Edmunds' there is a forum called Real World Trade In Values and a poster pays for auction results. He can then advise you what you should pay for a used car in certain market. He's usually pretty close.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:29 PM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Yes it may be cars that only sold at auction but you can use that information to extrapolate what a car will bring at market. Over on Edmunds' there is a forum called Real World Trade In Values and a poster pays for auction results. He can then advise you what you should pay for a used car in certain market. He's usually pretty close.
What's the cost to get auction results? I could supply them for a fee...

Old 01-22-2017, 04:45 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
In the Northeast, everybody uses Galves. You can get a 1 week online subscription for $9.95. You're getting the wholesale/auction price which is what you'd get as a trade-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive