Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,808,235 times

Advertisements

"intellectuals".

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Us minorities and intellectuals are not concerned with the big huge concert events that everybody is welcomed at. They are welcoming to all only because they are monitored by police officers. It is the day to day negativity and back handed comments that are the problem. Straight people and white people don't see it as a problem because they are not being put down for their innate qualities.

A big concert here or there where you see Blacks, Hispanics, Gays, and Whites singing along together is really nothing special at all.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:23 AM

988 posts, read 3,257,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Utter and complete rot, particularly when the question is about why supposedly progressive whites in Austin display race conciousness!

I think the notion that Austin is somehow not "diverse" is flat out wrong. Consider the following Census data:
Austin (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Percent US population white: 80%
Percent Texas population white: 71%
Percent Austin population white: 65%

Percent US population Hispanic: 15%
Percent Texas population Hispanic: 32%
Percent Austin population Hispanic: 31%

Percent US population black: 13%
Percent Texas population black: 12%
Percent Austin population black: 10%

Percent US population Asian: 5%
Percent Texas population Asian: 3%
Percent Austin population Asian: 5%

So, let's summarize: Austin is very close to the Texas state average for these racial/ethnic groups, has a lot more Hispanics than the US average, a lot fewer whites than the US average, and a slightly smaller number of blacks. The city is essentially the nation in microcosm!
These figures do not seem accurate, are they outdated? The US white population may be less than 70%(including Hispanic Whites) and Austin's Black population is closer to 8%.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:32 AM

Gosh, I hope someday people will stop worrying about skin color, and then we won't have to watch the antics of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton or ACORN on tv anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
These figures do not seem accurate, are they outdated? The US white population may be less than 70%(including Hispanic Whites) and Austin's Black population is closer to 8%.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:47 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,620,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
wow, i have read all of these posts and i am afraid to move my family to Austin. I thought it would be more accepting of an interracial family with an Asian daughter, but what i am hearing sounds so very intolerant. thank goodness i have family in North Texas, i think that might be a better place to move.
Don't think the minus of this topic. Too me its total bogus and BS!!
Both I and my wife are from multi-race. I lived here for over 14 years and call BS!!
I live in Cedar Park and trust me there are plenty of hispanics, african americans and others that I don't claim are just "white".

"OP", Please don't me a river and hear this crap. Austin is very laid back and it is what you have to accept. Maybe it is you that's pretending that you're white and maybe white people think you are the joke and them (whites) having to make such comments to you. Don't forget who you are and what color you are. I see plenty of fakes and don't get me started on that!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:05 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,377,854 times
2006 Census data.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:06 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,529,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
It seems like people in many of these places are very aware of my race, and make a point to say something about it. Personally, I don't get it - I know I'm black, you know I'm black, why does some kind of statement acknowledging this fact need to always be made?
It's in all of our natures to act awkwardly and say stupid/ignorant things around other cultures/races that we don't know very well. When I was studying abroad in Spain, Spaniards were constantly asking me stuff about the United States. Many of them had misconceptions and ignorant opinions of our country. I never got angry at anyone for these things. I just shrugged this off and chalked it up to cultural differences. For many of the people I knew, I was the first American they ever met, so how could I blame them for acting weird around me? If I had acted angry or defensive, I could have given them a bad opinion about Americans.

Many of the people who are acting weird around you are like the Spaniards I met - they're mostly nice people who mean well who are just nervous and slightly ignorant because they don't have much exposure to being around black people. Don't give them a hard time about this. Think of every interaction as an opportunity to educate people and maybe even have a laugh.

If there's one thing "South Park" taught me it's that everyone needs to lighten up and stop taking themselves so seriously.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:13 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,529,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Both I and my wife are from multi-race. I lived here for over 14 years and call BS!!
I live in Cedar Park and trust me there are plenty of hispanics, african americans and others that I don't claim are just "white".

"OP", Please don't me a river and hear this crap. Austin is very laid back and it is what you have to accept. Maybe it is you that's pretending that you're white and maybe white people think you are the joke and them (whites) having to make such comments to you. Don't forget who you are and what color you are. I see plenty of fakes and don't get me started on that!
People pick up on other peoples' insecurities. If the original poster is really insecure about his race, then maybe that's why people are giving him a hard time about it (or perhaps that's just the way he chooses to see the world).

Old 10-07-2009, 12:46 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,065,586 times
Quote:

I have never liked the expression acting white - is that what you mean by pretending you're white? What does acting white mean anyway. I mean, I'm white, so are many of my neighbors and while I like them, I really don't have that much in common with many of them. My point is that people that are white are as varied as can be. I have a friend who did well in college and now does well professionally and has to deal with people accusing her of "acting white" That is total BS.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:54 PM

If you are "acting white", that means you aren't "keeping it real", playa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I have never liked the expression acting white - is that what you mean by pretending you're white? What does acting white mean anyway. I mean, I'm white, so are many of my neighbors and while I like them, I really don't have that much in common with many of them. My point is that people that are white are as varied as can be. I have a friend who did well in college and now does well professionally and has to deal with people accusing her of "acting white" That is total BS.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:22 PM

145 posts, read 184,359 times
Quote:
This is so ignorant. How am I pretending to be white? Because I can put a sentence together, am in college, and come from an affluent family? Of course, there's only one way to be black - you know, the ebonics-speaking, ghetto thug with five out of wedlock kids.

You're as ignorant as the majority of people I've encountered in this city.

I'm very proud of my race and wouldn't change it for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin