Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,095,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
Funny. I guess I just find it disturbing that people my age are so hung up on and aware of race. I've never been and have never experienced this in the past.
I assume this hyper awareness must be because the number of blacks who live in Austin is quite low. So the few blacks that are around tend to stand out. I worked with a lot of blacks before I retired, as it was a priority of my employer to have a diverse work force. But the neighborhood that I live in includes only one black family that I am aware of. When I go out to the local stores I don't encounter many blacks.

Coming back from Lowe's on Brodie Lane yesterday, as I pulled up to the stop sign before entering the street I noticed a black lady walking down the sidewalk, caught out in a heavy rain downpour without even an umbrella. It is a long walk from there to anyplace she could find shelter, so I rolled down my window and asked if she would like a ride. She would not even look at me as she walked past ignoring me and my offer. I understand she probably didn't feel safe accepting a ride from a stranger, but I still felt badly that our society is like this. That we are fearful of accepting a sincere offer of assistance. I also wondered if she would have been more receptive of my offer if I had been black?

I find it hard to believe that Texas history following the civil war (1861-1865) would have that much influence in attitudes today. Most of Austin's population has moved here from someplace else, and when you look at the growth rate it has experienced, the number of residents who could be descended from those early citizens has to be a very small part of today's population. I think its safe to say that Austin is a melting pot made up of people from all over the country. So I don't see how attitudes that existed during the post civil war days could have that much influence today.

Edit: An additional thought... having worked closely with blacks in Austin for 30 years, I find I am a little hyper-sensitive when I am around them. There were enough times when a black person who I worked with felt they were being slighted because of their color, such as slow service in a restaurant, or not getting a bigger raise (when few did), or inconsiderate treatment in business transactions, things that I just assumed was a normal part of daily human interaction. But they felt those things were racial slights. It made me hyper-sensitive in my dealings with them, because I didn't want them to feel I was treating them in any particular way because of the color of their skin. Even in this forum I'm uncomfortable using the term "black" because it was drummed into me at work for so many years that I should use "african-american". I am using "black" here because everyone else in the previous posts used it. But I'm uncomfortable with it and worry that someone might be offended. Those of us who want to think we are liberal and progressive, and don't want to offend in regard to issues of race, can sometimes feel like we are walking on egg shells in our efforts to do the right thing. This may have something to do with why many whites are hyper sensitive about skin color in Austin.

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-04-2009 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-04-2009, 10:40 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,224,458 times
Let it go....your wasting time...unfortunately you will have to manage the fears and utter stupidity of other people. Just challenge yourself to not respond with anger or resentment. Challenge yourself to be understanding that some people have homogeneous attitudes toward their living environment...

Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,969,846 times
That is still very much true. Not much has changed despite the utilization of PC advertising and PC double-speak. Excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
UT is a fairly racist organization historically. Texas government is also a racist institution. Texas more than any other state post reconstruction worked endlessly to ensure blacks were marginalized. Texas basically gave free land to European settlers to blunt the power of ex-slaves and tried their best to exclude blacks from land ownership, political power, and economic power.
Texas is one of the most racist states in the country historically and Austin reflects that. Though the racism was less overt and more codified here than in other parts of the deep South.

Last edited by artsyguy; 10-04-2009 at 11:00 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 10:49 PM

I noticed the same type of duplicity when I was in Austin and I saw it with UT students (they aren't as smart as they think). Instead of sugar coating the problem. You should call it what it really is. You know exactly what I mean. Racism is racism. Hate is hate whether it is sugar coated or not. I saw the hate and discrimination within the first 6 weeks that I was there in Austin. My family were also victim to it. And you are right about Dallas being diverse and tolerant. It's a great city!!

I'm curious. How do you feel about the race consciousness?

Quote:
I have found, sadly, that while I would not classify Austin, as a whole, as a racist city, I would most certainly allege that it does suffer from severe racial consciousness.

For instance, I cannot go to a social event (a party, a get to gether, or something more formal) without several comments about my blackness. This has been the case in restaurants, car dealerships, and even the grocery store. Needless to say, most of my dealings are in nicer, more affluent parts of the city, downtown, and of course the UT campus.

It seems like people in many of these places are very aware of my race, and make a point to say something about it. Personally, I don't get it - I know I'm black, you know I'm black, why does some kind of statement acknowledging this fact need to always be made?

As someone who grew up in an affluent and predominately white part of north Dallas, I must admit that I did not experience such race consciousness (directly, atleast) as I have in Austin. This is particularly surprising to me because I was always told that Austin is, by and large liberal, racially tolerant, and very relaxed.

Although I don't discount the claims of liberalism, particularly in regards to social issues, the city is just not diverse at all, and I cannot doubt that this is partially why people here are so enamored with me and the color of my skin.

I realize one cannot make broad generalizations about a city's character, but I must admit I am very disappointed in this trend. Austin has aspiractions of being cosmopolitan, but until more here are willing to embrace differences in others (particularly ethnic ones), I just don't see how that is possible.

Last edited by artsyguy; 10-04-2009 at 11:43 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 10:55 PM

Slow customer service, rude business interactions, and withholding of rewards is extremely uncommon and not a part of life in quality cities. I've traveled and seen the differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I assume this hyper awareness must be because the number of blacks who live in Austin is quite low. So the few blacks that are around tend to stand out. I worked with a lot of blacks before I retired, as it was a priority of my employer to have a diverse work force. But the neighborhood that I live in includes only one black family that I am aware of. When I go out to the local stores I don't encounter many blacks.

Coming back from Lowe's on Brodie Lane yesterday, as I pulled up to the stop sign before entering the street I noticed a black lady walking down the sidewalk, caught out in a heavy rain downpour without even an umbrella. It is a long walk from there to anyplace she could find shelter, so I rolled down my window and asked if she would like a ride. She would not even look at me as she walked past ignoring me and my offer. I understand she probably didn't feel safe accepting a ride from a stranger, but I still felt badly that our society is like this. That we are fearful of accepting a sincere offer of assistance. I also wondered if she would have been more receptive of my offer if I had been black?

I find it hard to believe that Texas history following the civil war (1861-1865) would have that much influence in attitudes today. Most of Austin's population has moved here from someplace else, and when you look at the growth rate it has experienced, the number of residents who could be descended from those early citizens has to be a very small part of today's population. I think its safe to say that Austin is a melting pot made up of people from all over the country. So I don't see how attitudes that existed during the post civil war days could have that much influence today.

Edit: An additional thought... having worked closely with blacks in Austin for 30 years, I find I am a little hyper-sensitive when I am around them. There were enough times when a black person who I worked with felt they were being slighted because of their color, such as slow service in a restaurant, or not getting a bigger raise (when few did), or inconsiderate treatment in business transactions, things that I just assumed was a normal part of daily human interaction. But they felt those things were racial slights. It made me hyper-sensitive in my dealings with them, because I didn't want them to feel I was treating them in any particular way because of the color of their skin. Even in this forum I'm uncomfortable using the term "black" because it was drummed into me at work for so many years that I should use "african-american". I am using "black" here because everyone else in the previous posts used it. But I'm uncomfortable with it and worry that someone might be offended. Those of us who want to think we are liberal and progressive, and don't want to offend in regard to issues of race, can sometimes feel like we are walking on egg shells in our efforts to do the right thing. This may have something to do with why many whites are hyper sensitive about skin color in Austin.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:58 PM

You should question it. It is wrong. It is misleading. It is corruption. You should not be okay with it.

Quote:
I question how a place can call itself liberal but be so closed off in terms of true diversity - whether it be in different thought, ideals, style, or ethnicity.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:29 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,782,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

Attitudes arent the issue, political and economic power is the issue. If the blacks had been given land or been able to purchase land instead of it being given to European settlers. If blacks were not kept out of the state government purposefully I daresay that Austin would be a lot more diverse today. The children of black state officials and influential black landowners would have settled in Austin and the city would have been vastly different.
Look at Atlanta for instance Georgia had the most lenient restrictions on blacks post reconstruction. Also they didnt import European settlers. The result is Atlanta is a diverse city with many black owned businesses and lots of racial diversity.
So yes the past does matter and does explain the huge racial divide in Austin and the lack of contact between blacks and whites.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:33 PM

Hey Nomadic,

Thank you for your insight. I almost always value what you say. I also agree with everything you wrote in the quote. Excellent work. The same hypocrisy applies to the intolerance of homosexuals. You know exactly what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
It's a very sad, but prevalent liberal hypocrisy. What's more, Austinites don't like to be told about it.

By the way, I can relate to what you mean when you talk about awkwardly being conscious of one's race in social situations. I've almost always, ALWAYS been the only non-white person when I've gone to parties here in Austin. I'm mixed race (Latina/African American).

Old 10-05-2009, 08:19 AM

522 posts, read 1,406,282 times
How long have you been in Austin?
Coming from an Asian American...
I didn't go to UT but I've lived in Austin and I've never really noticed any racial remarks except a few times. I'm not even sure if they're actually Austinites or tourists or people coming in from other states to go to school (just because you're a UT student doesn't make you an Austinite). One was at a club, I was with some friends and a small group of guys in front of us yelled back to us "eggroll". The second time was when I was with friends at IHOP and a group of guys a few tables back were snickering and joking. I honestly didn't know what they were saying but the black family sitting in front of them caused a scene when it outed the guys. Of course, he wasn't any better because he outed them because then he said some racial stuff to us too.

Other than those two incidents I've never really noticed any racism towards me or anyone bringing up my race.
I have had people ask me what my ethnicity is (actually what my nationality is but I know what they're really asking, catch me on a bad day and I'll pretend I don't ) but I don't view it as being racist. It's not racist to be curious. Hell, I do it with other Asians. Of course I'm not usually conscious of my race unless someone brings it up or people stare.

I'm surprise you didn't have more interactions with Asians, there's a lot at UT.

As for the social interactions how is your race bringing brought up? If it's in a joking way maybe they're just trying to be friendly...
My boyfriend and his friends (Hispanic and black) are always joking around with each other that way.

Last edited by LibertysFate; 10-05-2009 at 08:28 AM..

Old 10-05-2009, 10:55 AM

20 posts, read 52,692 times
I moved here from St. Louis years ago, and was pretty surprised how a town that holds itself up to be so liberal in some ways could be just as closed-minded in other ways. St. Louis, despite its shortcomings, has a lot more diversity when it comes to race and other attributes. Austin may be an oasis in the middle of Texas...but it's still Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin