Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:34 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,670 times

Advertisements

In general, how are the race relations in Austin?

Here in LA, the thugs are all into killing one another simply over one's skin color (and it's getting worse); as for us non-thugs, many nationalities/ethnicities have their own little community and there is little mixing and mingling. I'm getting sick of it.

A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 02:00 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
I am not an Austinite, YET so I don't know about race relations. But what I can tell you is that Austin had only 20 homocides in 2006. One homocide is too many, but for a city the size of Austin, that number is unheard of! (In a good way!). Take Orlando, for example. The city of Orlando is less than 200,000 people. (The metro is much larger.) However Orlando had over 40 murders last year. Compare that to a city with nearing 700,000 having only 20 murders and you will see it's most impressive.

I have read nothing about gangs in Austin, although I am sure there have to be some.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:18 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Most of the gangs are 'wannabe' gangs and spend their time tagging the highway bridges, I think. I am sure that there are some problems, but really, you rarely hear anything gang related.

Although Austin probably has less in the way of race issues than a lot of other places, it still has them. The black population of Austin is ~10% (according to CD), with only small percentages of any other ethnicity other than hispanic. I think the low number of black residents partially masks some racism that may exist without an 'outlet'.

I will say that the integration of hispanic and caucasion in Austin (and San Antonio and Houston) is very successful. I rarely hear of problems.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:38 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
Is there a lot of "tagging" in Austin? One thing that I think is ruining Nashville is that there is graffiti everywhere. It seems like every single block has some sort of graffiti and they cannot seem to stop it.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:55 PM

37 posts, read 161,299 times
From California I know what you mean about the gangs and thugs! I have not seen any of that here in Austin. (Keep in mind, I don't hang out in the shady neighborhoods either) But it is not something you see everywhere. I know in California you can be in a really nice neighborhood and find graffiti all over the place. Sad.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 22,201 times
I'm so glad to hear that gangs are not a problem. That's one of the major reasons we are considering getting out of the Bay Area. I'm terrified that my son, who's 1/2 hispanic, will become a victim of gang violence. I know he won't join a gang. I've raised him better than that. But just the other day he was eating at Jack in the Box with his friends, when a gang fight broke out in the resteraunt and 2 kids were shot!! He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Thank God he got out of there safely!! My husband and I just want a nice, affordable place to raise our children without having to worry they'll get shot at the local fast food joint.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 6,855 times
Gangs are there in Austin, just out of sight and out of mind for most people. For example the first hispanic district attorney Dan Morales was found to be very corrupt from drug money. When I was living there none of the gangs were at war with each other ie LA.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:15 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,218 times
The Texas Syndicate is probably the biggest and most violent gang here. But if you don't mingle in that kind of circle, you don't have toworry about it.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:21 PM

543 posts, read 1,741,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
The Texas Syndicate is probably the biggest and most violent gang here. But if you don't mingle in that kind of circle, you don't have toworry about it.
I beg to differ. The MS-13 or MaraSalvatrucha is the most violent gang and does have a significant presence on the eastside. They are primarily Central-Americans. The veterans are immigrants of countries such as El Salvador and Honduras where, as small boys, they had weapons thrust into their hands to fight the insurgency. Those job skills are now used to engage in criminal activities.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:46 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,218 times
True. Forgot about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin