Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:44 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,026,664 times

Advertisements

This development has been batted around for the last few years, but looks closer to reality:

Austin asked to back housing, retail project (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/04/30/0430carma.html - broken link)

Your thoughts - sprawl, or sorely needed development?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 AM

593 posts, read 1,379,778 times
Sorely needed development especially for that part of the county. Alot of people will probably disagree with me, but the developers need the time to negotiate with Austin. Then, they'll have to start on infrastructure and improvements like widening the roads, inputting electricity, phone lines, wastewater/sewage lines, and water. Which, of course, continues to create jobs in Austin. Makes since to start as early as possible while things are relatively cheap in terms of materials and labor. If they wait until the market rebounds it will cost more. I'll bet the Del Valle School district will love the tax benefits from that development.

Really, Austin has grown SW, N, & NW for years. Now its pushing east into Hutto, Manor, toward Bastrop, and eventually will move SE toward Lockhart on 183 and SH130. Also, keep in mind that the Airport is located close by and there will always be a need for affordable homes and retail for those people who work at the airport, south Austin, and DT.

That said, do I think it will happen? NO. Austin City Council always seems to muck things up. Case in point: COA had money and opportunities to build/expand roads back in the 80's and simply chose not to do so. That's why we have had major road problems for the last 10-15 years. Too busy trying to do everything at once.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:06 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,745,397 times
There are plenty of developers who finance their own plans and make a profit on it in this area for there to be no need for taxpayers subsidies. The fact that there are undeveloped acres closer to the city center - though not of this size possibly - make it bad planning. Last I looked there was lots of undeveloped land on both the north and south sides of East Riverside. Now that's a great place to develop inexpensive housing without having to extend new infrastructure into the countryside. Plus there is already a major road (obviously), bus line, ACC campus, and utilities in place so no need for extra layouts. Look at this area on Google Earth starting from 71 E and then panning towards downtown and you'll see lots of fields.

As far as incentive for retail that is usually a bad investment because (1) retail is not an industry from which to base your economy on unlike high-tech or state gov't for example and (2) retail mostly provides jobs that don't pay that well and/or have few benefits. Of course we all know who pays for people who don't have health insurance..........Yes increase sales taxes can balance this out but for once I would like to see a study along with mandatory goals for this kind of thing. Last I heard they are trying to push this through quickly so I have my doubts as to our elected reps doing their homework.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:12 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,120,996 times
North and south of east Riverside has already been eyed for development as luxury condos and apartments, not affordable housing. In fact, we will lose many apartments in along that corridor that were affordable to ordinary working people.

I wonder what happened at Council? My guess is delay. Probably not a bad thing.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastewater Operator View Post
Wastewater Contractors and Engineers Design/Build/Operate Bonadiman Consultants, Inc.

ohhhh.....kay?

That link has nothing to do with this subject.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastewater Operator View Post
Wastewater Contractors and Engineers Design/Build/Operate Bonadiman Consultants, Inc.
4 posts to date and everyone of them is spam. What a jerk.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
4 posts to date and everyone of them is spam. What a jerk.
I think he is trying to sell us a wastewater plant?

Old 05-20-2009, 03:29 PM

Back on topic, I think it makes a lot of sense to encourage more development in SE Austin. Except I'd do it further South along Bluff Springs Road and Nuckols Crossing, with careful study of the flood plains. Flood plains make great City parks by the way. One of the problems of developing East is its subject to flooding from all the rivers that flow that way.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:03 PM

434 posts, read 1,081,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
This development has been batted around for the last few years, but looks closer to reality:

Austin asked to back housing, retail project (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/04/30/0430carma.html - broken link)

Your thoughts - sprawl, or sorely needed development?
undesirable sprawl definitely.

Time for strict population control policies, especially among illegal immigrants.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:44 AM

I don't see how it is sprawl when it is closer to the CBD then most other parts of town. It is also development of a geographic area that is less ecologically destructive then development in the hill country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin