Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 05:44 PM

1,085 posts, read 691,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It seems like they're taking their sweet time on finishing that little detour.

Their original plan was much better, an overpass with ramps for that intersection would have been a godsend.

Given the scope of the bypass, I just don't see why they didn't make dedicated right turn keep moving lanes from FM620 NB to FM2222 SB - basically just make the existing two right turn lanes on FM620 into two dedicated lanes on the FM2222 side of the intersection so traffic can freely flow without the need to stop at the intersection.
Because too many people in TX feel the need to turn into the outermost right hand lane from the innermost left hand lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 11:50 AM

283 posts, read 254,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamoo View Post
Great Hills and River Place. Circle C maybe for the lower end spots in Woodlands.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Steiner Ranch sucks. Lived there for a year, got stuck for an hour just to leave the neighborhood multiple times. Sold my place and never looked back. You know when you're in one of those places, super crowded. One exit door? And then some emergency breaks out and everyone has to leave through that one door?

yeah, that's Steiner Ranch.
Yep. We came real close to buying there in the mid-2000's when it was still building out. Every time I go through that area now I thank the good lord that we didn't.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:40 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
I'd shoot for the Hill Country area of Austin. As for Dallas...look at the area around White Rock Lake for city of Dallas. Rolling hills, lakeside amenities, tall trees, the Arboretum, etc.

The suburbs around DFW has several large lakes and wooded areas. Joe Pool Lake for instance has some nice topography.

Southlake, Grapevine, Flower Mound are also nice options.

Old 12-10-2021, 12:12 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlwfamily View Post
We are from Seattle. Family of 6.

We are planning to move to the Dallas area or Austin area...

But we are staying in Houston suburb of the woodlands this week.

We visited Dallas and it seemed like way too flat and like a concrete jungle.

We really really loved the Woodlands. It's beautiful..love the little lakes and trees. It's really pretty. But, we don't know a single family that has moved to the Houston area... So we are hoping to find something similar in Austin (or Dallas).

Are there any towns/neighborhoods in Austin that resemble the Woodlands?

With all of the normal stuff, good schools, sports, etc. D

Any insight out there?

We are going to Austin tomorrow to look around. Hoping to find a gem of a town.
How much of D/FW did you visit? DFW has more lakes than Austin. I live between two, Grapevine and Lewisville. if you don't like flat then how can you like Houston which has no elevation? BTW, I'm from Houston.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:06 PM

7 posts, read 5,367 times
I would vote for the River Place Neighborhood in Austin. My family loves it here.

Country club, nature trails, great views, couple nice parks for the kids, good schools, few good casual drinking/eating spots and nice family oriented vibe in the neighborhood. You can keep life errands pretty close up here: doctors, dentists, grocery, home Depot, school, vet, etc are all very close. And you can also right by Emma long park for mtn biking and drive to Lake Travis in 20min to access boat slip.

I enjoy how peaceful it is and I can still be downtown in 25-30min when we go out for a date night downtown.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBintheHills View Post
I would vote for the River Place Neighborhood in Austin. My family loves it here.

Country club, nature trails, great views, couple nice parks for the kids, good schools, few good casual drinking/eating spots and nice family oriented vibe in the neighborhood. You can keep life errands pretty close up here: doctors, dentists, grocery, home Depot, school, vet, etc are all very close. And you can also right by Emma long park for mtn biking and drive to Lake Travis in 20min to access boat slip.

I enjoy how peaceful it is and I can still be downtown in 25-30min when we go out for a date night downtown.
Now tell them how long it takes to get out of that neighborhood at 7:15AM.

Or mention the wildfire risk.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:25 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Now tell them how long it takes to get out of that neighborhood at 7:15AM.

Or mention the wildfire risk.
The Woodlands is 30 miles away from Houston. It’s not dissimilar.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The Woodlands is 30 miles away from Houston. It’s not dissimilar.
I wouldn’t remotely equate River Place with The Woodlands, apart from SAHMs with G Wagons.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:34 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
West Lake Hills is another Austin ‘burb option.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:49 PM

11,780 posts, read 7,992,594 times
TBH, The Woodlands seems a lot more refined than W.Lake Hills, but W.Lake Hills seems to have a more diverse housing stock and probably costs a lot more than Woodlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin