Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 11:27 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It is cheaper, but not 'free' - depending on the depth of your well. For a reference point, a 300' well and 10 cents/kwh will cost you about $1/1000 gallons, or $50 to fill a 50,000 gallon pool. The cost is essentially linear with the well depth, so a 100 well would be 1/3 as much.
I have a well on a solar pump so the electricity is "free". Interestingly the solar pump doesnt even need batteries, the pump is designed to run off the panels alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 11:40 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I have a well on a solar pump so the electricity is "free". Interestingly the solar pump doesnt even need batteries, the pump is designed to run off the panels alone.
What is pumping rate? It should work 'well' as long as you don't need a lot of water when it isn't sunny! Presumably it is variable speed and can work from a trickle to full design flow.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
What is pumping rate? It should work 'well' as long as you don't need a lot of water when it isn't sunny! Presumably it is variable speed and can work from a trickle to full design flow.

https://shop.rpssolarpumps.com/produ...ly-rps-2-1-100

I have the RPS 200, but my well is only 40 ft or something like that. I do happen to have batteries on the solar panels.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:40 PM

I like the solar well concept for non-critical uses like this. It does look like it would take about a month to fill a 50,000 gallon pool, though, under optimum conditions and 50' head (and the 200 instead of 800 model). Or two weeks for one half that size. Austin area can put in fairly shallow wells - like yours - but my parents' out in the hill country was 300' or more, I don't recall exactly either.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:32 PM

44 posts, read 47,141 times
After looking into salt conversion, a few folks turned us on to a “chemless system” using a copper and silver ionizer. Does anyone have any experience and feedback with ionizer systems?

Old 11-27-2021, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Grey View Post
After looking into salt conversion, a few folks turned us on to a “chemless system” using a copper and silver ionizer. Does anyone have any experience and feedback with ionizer systems?
according to the people at trouble free pool that is the worst system and you still need chlorine

Old 12-01-2021, 07:05 PM

61 posts, read 60,785 times
Any recommendations on good Pool Service(Cleaning) in Austin?

Old 12-02-2021, 02:55 PM

7 posts, read 5,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRon View Post
Any recommendations on good Pool Service(Cleaning) in Austin?
I have been happy with Real Clean Pools. A few neighbors use them as well for weekly service.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:03 AM

27 posts, read 27,929 times
We built our pool 3 years ago, so I can't speak to today's prices. I recently contacted my builder to do some minor tile repairs. He sounded depressed, he said he can't take new jobs and is already 24 months out. He's short on workers and can't find anyone.

That said, we paid around 95k for a rectangular pool with a built-in spa and automatic (Coverstar) pool cover, and a gas heater. If you are worried about using the pool, I recommend this combination. The cover allows peace of mind with small children, keeps the leaves out, and keeps the heat in. We can use our pool year-round and do! I keep it at 92f right now, so it's comfortable on colder days. For some reason, the gas used to heat it comes to around $5-10 a month. I couldn't believe how cheap it was.

The cover can help keep the pool cold during the summer as well. Close the pool during the day, the sun's heat can only heat the top of the cover. Then at night, open the cover and let the heat escape, I can get our pool down to 84f in the summer heat this way.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonclegg View Post
We built our pool 3 years ago, so I can't speak to today's prices. I recently contacted my builder to do some minor tile repairs. He sounded depressed, he said he can't take new jobs and is already 24 months out. He's short on workers and can't find anyone.

That said, we paid around 95k for a rectangular pool with a built-in spa and automatic (Coverstar) pool cover, and a gas heater. If you are worried about using the pool, I recommend this combination. The cover allows peace of mind with small children, keeps the leaves out, and keeps the heat in. We can use our pool year-round and do! I keep it at 92f right now, so it's comfortable on colder days. For some reason, the gas used to heat it comes to around $5-10 a month. I couldn't believe how cheap it was.

The cover can help keep the pool cold during the summer as well. Close the pool during the day, the sun's heat can only heat the top of the cover. Then at night, open the cover and let the heat escape, I can get our pool down to 84f in the summer heat this way.
How big/small is your pool?! 1MM Btus would cost somewhere in the $15 to $20 range and would raise the temperature of a 40,000 gal pool by one degree. Your pool must be needing almost no heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin