Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 07:04 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times

Advertisements

Pool maintenance is very easy, I would get a pool robot to clean the floor and walls of the pool. I barely need to empty my skimmers, maybe once a month.

https://marinapoolspaandpatio.com/pr...s-dolphin-799/

You do need to add chlorine, for me it is .5 gallons/day, but I have an automated system to do it.

Pool companies have to use pucks which are bad.

read troublefreepool.com pool school to learn how to take care of your pool.

I spend maybe 15 minutes a week checking pool chemistry emptying skimmers, etc.

Filling my chlorine does take longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 12:12 PM

44 posts, read 47,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Pool maintenance is very easy, I would get a pool robot to clean the floor and walls of the pool. I barely need to empty my skimmers, maybe once a month.

https://marinapoolspaandpatio.com/pr...s-dolphin-799/

You do need to add chlorine, for me it is .5 gallons/day, but I have an automated system to do it.

Pool companies have to use pucks which are bad.

read troublefreepool.com pool school to learn how to take care of your pool.

I spend maybe 15 minutes a week checking pool chemistry emptying skimmers, etc.

Filling my chlorine does take longer.
Appreciate the info very much! I will take a look at that url and read up. It's helpful to know that owner maintenance isn't as consuming as the maintenance companies make it out to be.

Old 11-06-2021, 04:46 PM

7 posts, read 5,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Grey View Post
Now that we're under contract on a home with a pool (yes!), I need to pivot on my original question. What is typical pricing for a pool maintenance company in the area? Our pool is a chlorine pool. I have a quote from the current servicer, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't get a few more quotes. They quoted:
$46/week for full cleaning, weekly service
$56/week for full cleaning, every other week
Chemicals billed separately
Full cleaning = brush, vacuum, skim, empty baskets, adjust chems, maintain sand & DE filter
I pay $50/week in Austin plus chemical costs. Doing it yourself isn't that hard but I choose to let the pool company deal with it right now. I may take over doing the pool maintenance when I decrease my work schedule to 3 days a week.

I recommend hiring a company at first while you learn more about it. You can always cancel the service and try it yourself for a while next year.

Old 11-06-2021, 10:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
I pay $40 per week in Round Rock with chemicals. He's a mom and pop, so a bit no frills but it's a compromise for those who don't want to do it themselves (us) but shy away from bigger companies that want to charge $$$.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:21 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I pay $40 per week in Round Rock with chemicals. He's a mom and pop, so a bit no frills but it's a compromise for those who don't want to do it themselves (us) but shy away from bigger companies that want to charge $$$.
the big problem with pool companies is if you dont have saltwater then they have to use pucks. If they use pucks you are adding about 2ppm of cyanuric acid/day in the summer. Starting at about 60 ppm of CYA your chlorine starts to be ineffective. And you need much higher levels of chlorine to sanitize your pool.

As CYA builds up over 2-3 years they either need to drain your pool to remove it, or start adding other chemicals like algaecide or temporarily high levels of chlorine to kill algae blooms to compensate.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:49 PM

743 posts, read 1,373,158 times
We maintain our own pool as well. It’s not too hard. Trouble free pool website is a good place to start.

Agree on avoiding pucks if you can.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:00 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Fwiw, the city of Austin gives you a water price break if you notify them ahead of time that you are going to fill a pool.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:28 PM

5 posts, read 3,752 times
People building pools skyrocketed due to COVID so pool prices have risen some. With that said, the going rate in Travis County is around 90-120k to install a pool. It is more advantageous to buy a home with a pool already in it, UNLESS you plan to stay in your home longer term. (Realtor here, and this is what I've seen).

Old 11-09-2021, 06:23 PM

44 posts, read 47,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Fwiw, the city of Austin gives you a water price break if you notify them ahead of time that you are going to fill a pool.
We’re tied into city water but have a well for gardening and pool. So very thankful for that!

Old 11-10-2021, 08:27 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Grey View Post
We’re tied into city water but have a well for gardening and pool. So very thankful for that!
It is cheaper, but not 'free' - depending on the depth of your well. For a reference point, a 300' well and 10 cents/kwh will cost you about $1/1000 gallons, or $50 to fill a 50,000 gallon pool. The cost is essentially linear with the well depth, so a 100 well would be 1/3 as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin