Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2024, 08:45 PM

11,835 posts, read 8,033,043 times

Advertisements

Yeah I saw Auslander. I wanted to try it. I will go back one day and have a go with it. I wanted to post to see if you had any recommendations but it was a spur of the moment trip and I didn't think I'd get a response in time.

After eating and browsing around Fredericksburg I headed down to San Antonio to sight see and kill some time.. ..then I took 130 back to Austin and maintained 95 MPH all the way back

Last night I had another spur of the moment trip to Rainey St to eat at Geraldine's at Hotel Van Zandt. Brought back Uber vibes as I've picked up and dropped off there countless times. Next go round I am going to go Azul's Rooftop.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 04-06-2024 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 09:03 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times
Just saw that Azul’s Rooftop this morning on KVUE TV showing preparations for some event they’re having for the solar eclipse Monday.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:50 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,624,113 times
It's hard to believe the large numbers of people that are fllying and driving in from other states to Austin, Uvalde and San Antonio to see an eclipse that will cause the sky to turn dark in the middle of the day and is predicted to last not much more than 10 minutes. Once the spectacle is over with, it will be back to bidness as usual for most people.

I don't remember hearing and/or seeing this much nationwide hype since the Y2K scare of Jan 1st, 2000 that threatened to turn the entire country into a total sate of chaos, which never happened as predicted.

Many schools are closing for the entire school day, not just the 10 minutes it takes for the eclipse to do it's thing. I seen signs on RR 620 today telling the people that an eclipse is coming on Monday, April 8th and don't stop on the road to look at the eclipse.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It's hard to believe the large numbers of people that are fllying and driving in from other states to Austin, Uvalde and San Antonio to see an eclipse that will cause the sky to turn dark in the middle of the day and is predicted to last not much more than 10 minutes. Once the spectacle is over with, it will be back to bidness as usual for most people.

I don't remember hearing and/or seeing this much nationwide hype since the Y2K scare of Jan 1st, 2000 that threatened to turn the entire country into a total sate of chaos, which never happened as predicted.

Many schools are closing for the entire school day, not just the 10 minutes it takes for the eclipse to do it's thing. I seen signs on RR 620 today telling the people that an eclipse is coming on Monday, April 8th and don't stop on the road to look at the eclipse.
I've been trying to figure that out too. What's even crazier is that Monday is forecasted to be cloudy or scattered thunderstorms so all these folks coming here may not even see it.

We just recently had a solar eclipse a few months ago and I don't remember there being widespread panic or en-masse travelers coming to see it.

Another odd thing is that schools closing aren't just affecting the states in trajectory of totilarity, Georgia has also closed alot of schools too.

Old 04-07-2024, 06:43 AM

Well, at least the Austin, Round Rock, and Cedar Park school districts aren’t closing.
I think the more rural districts are closing because of the strong possibility of heavy traffic problems out in the Hill country caused by an expected flood of crazy tourists choking up the inadequate road infrastructure.

Old 04-07-2024, 07:28 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,436,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

Schools are concerned about traffic. I kind of get folks coming and making a weekend of it, but I tend to agree with you.

What I don't understand is all the people who live here or are staying here (not driving in from Houston or whatever), who are all over the internet asking where they should go to see the eclipse. Um, your back yard?? Front porch?? Hotel parking lot?? It's the same eclipse they will be showing as the one at the park 5 miles away. I think most of the traffic is going to be caused by people already here who feel the need to travel someone else to watch something they'll be able to see where they already were.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:18 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Schools are concerned about traffic. I kind of get folks coming and making a weekend of it, but I tend to agree with you.

What I don't understand is all the people who live here or are staying here (not driving in from Houston or whatever), who are all over the internet asking where they should go to see the eclipse. Um, your back yard?? Front porch?? Hotel parking lot?? It's the same eclipse they will be showing as the one at the park 5 miles away. I think most of the traffic is going to be caused by people already here who feel the need to travel someone else to watch something they'll be able to see where they already were.
There’s a huge difference in time of totality from Austin to the hill country. For me in central Austin it’s like a minute and a half. Had I gone to work in Pflugerville (took a lil mental health break this weekend) it’s 2 minute and 40 seconds. If I went out to a friend’s house in Leander, it’s like 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Fredericksburg is almost five minutes of darkness. I’m just going to walk to mueller lake myself, but I understand why locals are traveling.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:55 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,436,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
There’s a huge difference in time of totality from Austin to the hill country. For me in central Austin it’s like a minute and a half. Had I gone to work in Pflugerville (took a lil mental health break this weekend) it’s 2 minute and 40 seconds. If I went out to a friend’s house in Leander, it’s like 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Fredericksburg is almost five minutes of darkness. I’m just going to walk to mueller lake myself, but I understand why locals are traveling.
I guess I just don't understand sitting in an hour (or more) of traffic for another minute of totality.

But according to the news, the number of people in the Hill Country right now is less than expected. Maybe folks decided not to venture to those areas due to the cloud cover???

Old 04-08-2024, 12:44 PM

I was worried I wouldn't be able to see it due to the weather but it still turned out to be pretty nice.

Old 04-08-2024, 03:27 PM

We caught a couple of breaks in the cloud cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Official Austin Chat Thread-image000001.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin