Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2023, 11:58 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
$1,378 was indeed my portion of it.

Typically for an individual my portion of health insurance has always been between $300 - $500mo ... I don't think I have ever had a plan as low a $100mo.
My last company was an employee owned company and it was a trade off, of course, on where money went. We opted for lower health care costs for the employees at the expense of larger bonuses or pay or whatever. At the end of the day, if they pay you enough, then you get to pay higher healthcare costs. Lower paying companies might have lower costs. It is kind of like taxes - they will get their pound of flesh somewhere....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 09:16 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
I'm in process of onboarding to another job and looked over the health benefits and saw a whopping $1,378.36 per pay period for a Cigna Health Plan for a single individual.. ..not opting into that.. ..Thats almost $3,000 per month.. ..more than my Mortgage.. ..how much are you guys paying for Health Insurance?
I work in HR, and honestly, that doesn't even seem mathematically possible to me. Even the most expensive family plan I've ever seen was about $20K per year total. So even if the company pays nothing towards the premiums, I don't see how the premiums could even be that much, especially for an individual. Ask if there is a plan administrator you can talk to to get a breakdown, because there's no way that's correct.

A quick search found that the most expensive individual plan Cigna even offers is about $750 a month.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:55 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I work in HR, and honestly, that doesn't even seem mathematically possible to me. Even the most expensive family plan I've ever seen was about $20K per year total. So even if the company pays nothing towards the premiums, I don't see how the premiums could even be that much, especially for an individual. Ask if there is a plan administrator you can talk to to get a breakdown, because there's no way that's correct.

A quick search found that the most expensive individual plan Cigna even offers is about $750 a month.
Doesn't make sense to me either, which is why I didn't opt for it.

I asked them for clarification and they told me that's what the price was.. ..are they somehow making this into a racket?

Old 12-09-2023, 04:05 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Doesn't make sense to me either, which is why I didn't opt for it.

I asked them for clarification and they told me that's what the price was.. ..are they somehow making this into a racket?
Honestly, it's questionable. It's either a mistake or something more is going on. Get their group number and info and call Cigna to ask what the cost is. Or if they use a third party administrator, go through them to try to get more information.

The average employee contribution for individual health insurance in the US is something like $1,400 per YEAR. I'm wondering if that's not the annual cost and they just worded it poorly. But there's literally no possible way that is the cost per pay period.

Old 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM

Seems I have a new problem I congregated today. My passenger side brake caliper came aloose while I was on MoPac and tore into my passenger side wheel. Both brand new. I didn't lose braking power fortunately and as able to baby it off the highway and get it towed home but Im pretty pissed at the shop who did this.

Its the same shop that worked on my 99 Z28 (which is still in the body shop because I chose to completely tear the car down and rebuild it from scratch - I gave them the benefit of a doubt because the BMW bolt pattern but now... I can't give them any more doubts.)

I did find a Lawyer regarding the Infiniti Q60... Im half believing I may have to go that route here too as the wheel and caliper will need to be replaced as well as recoated and I doubt that the shop is going to own up to it. 3 cars and only 1 drivable.

One thing that is strange though is it didnt happen until 3,000 miles later. It even made it to/from Atlanta without any problems..

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-09-2023 at 04:34 PM..

Old 12-10-2023, 08:39 AM

Welp, new major issue.

Shop is denying all liability stating it would have come apart much sooner if they didn't torque it down, they claim they used torque wrenches. I asked if they used locktite, he affirmed that he did. Still - Brake Calipers do not just randomly detach from their housings, and 1 month ago isn't terribly long.

He's willing to replace the bolt, but I want the caliper, wheel and rotor to be replaced because all three were brand new and it technically compromised the integrity of the brake caliper.

I am debating on whether or not I am going to sue him, I lost the receipt for the work so I may have problems in that department, and there is still some ounce of respect that he really might be telling the truth...not sure what I should do...

Old 12-10-2023, 11:32 AM

I decided to say screw it and went the legal route. I didn't want to do this to him but I hate it when people do not own up to their mistakes.

Old 12-11-2023, 06:12 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Granddaughter is very upset.
She had recently picked out a very nice wedding dress for her nuptials in March. Of course it needed alterations to fit.
She called the shop this morning to inquire about picking it up - but got no answer, and discovered the place was closed & out of business (filed for bankruptcy).
She even went by there and saw it was empty.
No wedding dress and no $2,200 (her dad’s dough).

Old 12-11-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
She had recently picked out a very nice wedding dress for her nuptials in March. Of course it needed alterations to fit.
She called the shop this morning to inquire about picking it up - but got no answer, and discovered the place was closed & out of business (filed for bankruptcy).
Hopefully he used a credit card. I would try to reverse the charge if I were him. Hoping that they can get it sorted out before the big day.

Old 12-12-2023, 05:21 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
That's terrible ScoPro - was the shop doing the alterations the same as the one it was purchased from? I wonder where the inventory went. Any way of tracking down the owners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin