Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2021, 11:02 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times

Advertisements

Umm. I just a buy a new car if it needs all that work. (I actually really want a blazer or bronco but can’t swallow the change in mileage).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 11:56 AM

11,835 posts, read 8,033,043 times
It’s not as bad as it sounds. Rack & Pinions pretty much bolt out and in. Sometimes there’s issues with finding the right ones if the vehicle has performance package options available like my Z28. My rack & pinion costed about $500 installed in the Z28. Old one was leaking Power Steering fluid like a faucet.

Water Pumps and serpentine belts (not timing) I just change myself. Real straight forward and easy. The timing belt or timing chain is usually behind the valley cover which is behind the water pump and other engine accessories. Those are a bit harder.

Shocks and Struts are among the few items I refuse to touch myself due to how dangerous they can be it mishandled. (They can literally take your face off if they were to suddenly unspring while you’re handling them)

Old 08-26-2021, 01:12 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Umm. I just a buy a new car if it needs all that work. (I actually really want a blazer or bronco but can’t swallow the change in mileage).
My wife would buy a new one. Problem is that the vehicle has <100k and the engine is running like a champ. The interior and exterior are both in great condition, so it doesn't look awful (albeit a bit dated). A new car would set me back 40k minimum, I suspect, and I am always doing the retirement math in my head. Also, the van is so damn useful but I don't want to buy another van next time a I get a vehicle, so I will stretch this one out until it is not needed.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
My wife would buy a new one. Problem is that the vehicle has <100k and the engine is running like a champ. The interior and exterior are both in great condition, so it doesn't look awful (albeit a bit dated). A new car would set me back 40k minimum, I suspect, and I am always doing the retirement math in my head. Also, the van is so damn useful but I don't want to buy another van next time a I get a vehicle, so I will stretch this one out until it is not needed.
I understand. I feel like I just need to lease my next one. Mine only has 26k on it now, so I think I can get out even, or with a little extra given how the market is. But, to keep my mileage I’d have to pay about 35-40k and this one was about 28k out the door.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:34 PM

I wouldn't ever be able to lease given how many miles I drive.

I actually considered renting a car from lyft / uber to do the Gig vs buying a whole new car but you can only use their rentals specifically for their gig and not any others it costs like $200 per WEEK.. PLUS any additional mileage when using it for personal use ...which is ridiculous... That is like $800 per month just to work. I came out cheaper literally buying another car.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I wouldn't ever be able to lease given how many miles I drive.

I actually considered renting a car from lyft / uber to do the Gig vs buying a whole new car but you can only use their rentals specifically for their gig and it costs like $200 per WEEK.. ...which is ridiculous... That is like $800 per month just to work. I came out cheaper literally buying another car.
I'm right around 13-14k a year. I'd pay a bit but nothing too outrageous. I drive to San Antonio frequently and occasionally trek a bit further (coast or Hill country). Even this last year I ended up with about 13k despite covid.

Also, you're an anomaly with how much driving you like to do.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
It’s not as bad as it sounds. Rack & Pinions pretty much bolt out and in. Sometimes there’s issues with finding the right ones if the vehicle has performance package options available like my Z28. My rack & pinion costed about $500 installed in the Z28. Old one was leaking Power Steering fluid like a faucet.

Water Pumps and serpentine belts (not timing) I just change myself. Real straight forward and easy. The timing belt or timing chain is usually behind the valley cover which is behind the water pump and other engine accessories. Those are a bit harder.

Shocks and Struts are among the few items I refuse to touch myself due to how dangerous they can be it mishandled. (They can literally take your face off if they were to suddenly unspring while you’re handling them)
I called around on the R&P and for my vehicle/trim it was $1800-$2000 at every place. The struts/shocks were the next biggest chunk. The water pump was strictly a 'while you are in here' type thing with the timing belt- they basically added it on for cost of the part.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I'm right around 13-14k a year. I'd pay a bit but nothing too outrageous. I drive to San Antonio frequently and occasionally trek a bit further (coast or Hill country). Even this last year I ended up with about 13k despite covid.

Also, you're an anomaly with how much driving you like to do.
My van literally had <1,000 miles on it this past year+.

Next vehicle I buy will likely be a truck or something that can pull the boat or a trailer, but damn they are expensive right now .

Old 08-26-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I called around on the R&P and for my vehicle/trim it was $1800-$2000 at every place. The struts/shocks were the next biggest chunk. The water pump was strictly a 'while you are in here' type thing with the timing belt- they basically added it on for cost of the part.
I'm guessing it costs considerably more due to it being a semi-heavy duty vehicle compared to mine.

What year is the vehicle anyway? it may have one of those Electric Power Steering assists like many new vehicles these days do. My 2017 Camaro SS has it (and it failed within 3,000 miles brand new out the factory, that actually lead to me suing GM because they failed to repair it under multiple attempts and had the car under downtime for over 2 months while they literally flew in an R&D engineer to inspect it. It's now a recall)

Old 08-26-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing it costs considerably more due to it being a semi-heavy duty vehicle compared to mine.

What year is the vehicle anyway? it may have one of those Electric Power Steering assists like many new vehicles these days do. My 2017 Camaro SS has it (and it failed within 3,000 miles brand new out the factory, that actually lead to me suing GM because they failed to repair it under multiple attempts and had the car under downtime for over 2 months while they literally flew in an R&D engineer to inspect it. It's now a recall)
They had to move a bunch of 'stuff' to get to the system. I have a 6 cyc. 2010 model Honda Odyssey; if I had a 4 cyc model, it apparently would have been 1/2 as much (or less).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin