Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
Sun City's a nice area. It's relaxed, the people are friendly, and it's detached from the rest of the city enough to not really have any riff raff. I do some work out there at times (computer repair or network setups), and most of my customers have been there for a couple of years. The value of their homes is staying relatively consistent over the last few years (not much in the ways of ups and downs). There are some amenities are reasonably close (gas, groceries), others (dept stores, shopping, etc) are about a 15 minute drive or so.

Everyone I know that lives there seems to be involved in some kind of event or activity there though, and I've yet to meet anyone there who's not extremely nice. I previously lived in Tucson, AZ and did work at the local retirement community there (Green Valley) and Sun City is MUCH nicer and friendlier.

Just my 2 cents...

There is really only one way in or out of there (Williams Drive), so it can be hairy if there's an accident, and it's usually pretty busy.
There's actually an entrance on 195, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 PM

15 posts, read 82,267 times
Keep in mind. Austin is "Not" Sun City at Georgetown. Austin is Austin, some people wear shirts here in Georgetown with the slogan "Keep Georgetown Normal", in contrast to Tee shirts seen occasionally saying "Keep Austin Wierd". True Story. !!!
Sun Clity is not in Austin or Travis County, We are in Williamson County, known for its law-enforcemint, and conservative values. We are on the far west side of Georgetown and it is like living in the country. I takes at least 30 minutes to go to Austin via interstate 35.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:40 AM

8 posts, read 52,435 times
The OP described themselves as "liberal democrats". One subsequent reply alluded to "ignoring the Californians". I suspect that if one espoused a "liberal demogratic agenda", that would be an excellent way to also be "ignored"...

Old 05-27-2009, 01:47 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogirl42 View Post
Keep in mind. Austin is "Not" Sun City at Georgetown. Austin is Austin, some people wear shirts here in Georgetown with the slogan "Keep Georgetown Normal", in contrast to Tee shirts seen occasionally saying "Keep Austin Wierd". True Story. !!!
Sun Clity is not in Austin or Travis County, We are in Williamson County, known for its law-enforcemint, and conservative values. We are on the far west side of Georgetown and it is like living in the country. I takes at least 30 minutes to go to Austin via interstate 35.
wow only 30 minutes? thats great!!! i hope to move there next spring. How it is for 40 something couple with a young daughter. is it comfortable for minorities ?

I love that i want that T shirt "Keep Georgetown Normal"

Old 09-06-2009, 07:11 AM

107 posts, read 285,217 times
Default Sun City living by a Sun City Resident

I live in Sun City... So I guess I can speak from experience, not from what I have been told. I really enjoy living here. Where can you live and it be perfect? If anyone knows where that is can you please let me know?
I will tell you what I like...At night I sleep like a baby, it is so quiet. I love that there is so much to do; it is like living at a resort. The facilities are extremely nice and well maintained. The homes are well groomed and always look great. The houses are close in some areas, but the people that live there are happy. I love living here and I have fantastic neighbors. We have lived here over a year and everyone that we live by have been quite helpful and friendly. Sometimes you might run into a crabby person, but you have that in all walks of life, not just in a retiree subdivision. There are strict property restrictions, but nothing I can't live with. I like that it keeps the value of my home up. When I look up through the MLS I can see homes that range from 135K to over 500K and have maintained their value in most cases. The median price for the month of August 09 for Sun City was 196K. The traffic isn't a problem, I am from Houston and the complainers haven't seen bad traffic I am thinking!
If you want a nice, quiet, maintained home and many of opportunities to have a great time in the prime of your life... this is the place for you. Oh and by the way, this isn't an advertisement I do not work for Sun City, I just live here.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:38 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,819 times
I know that you are not allowed to have Garage/Yard Sales in Sun City, altho once a year the community has a big flea market in the parking lot of the community center. Those are fun.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:57 PM

189 posts, read 710,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
I'd skip Sun City if I were you. My wife's grandparents just sold their home there and it was a nightmare! There are sooo many restrictions, that even adding solar screens to your home will cost you extra and you'll have to remove them once you sell. If you don't get permission to do anything to your home first, you'll be fined. Seriously, it's not worth the hassle. They tried planting some shrubs in their "garden" and had to remove them or face a stiff fine. Seems that if you're going to retire, you'd want to work in your yard or garden, right? Well, in Sun City all you can really do is watch your grass grow and even then, you're restricted to certain times of the day. Seriously, you're better off just buying a home in another subdivision in Georgetown.
Amen.

Except.......I'd also ignore Georgetown -- nothing there except Republicans and small-town minds who love retirees' money but not their presence in "their" space.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I know that you are not allowed to have Garage/Yard Sales in Sun City, altho once a year the community has a big flea market in the parking lot of the community center. Those are fun.
If a community thinks garage sales are too "hick" for them, doesn't that tell you something about the mindset of these people? Smell the coffee, folks!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly katsus View Post
I live in Sun City... So I guess I can speak from experience, not from what I have been told. I really enjoy living here. Where can you live and it be perfect? If anyone knows where that is can you please let me know?
I will tell you what I like...At night I sleep like a baby, it is so quiet. I love that there is so much to do; it is like living at a resort. The facilities are extremely nice and well maintained. The homes are well groomed and always look great. The houses are close in some areas, but the people that live there are happy. I love living here and I have fantastic neighbors. We have lived here over a year and everyone that we live by have been quite helpful and friendly. Sometimes you might run into a crabby person, but you have that in all walks of life, not just in a retiree subdivision. There are strict property restrictions, but nothing I can't live with. I like that it keeps the value of my home up. When I look up through the MLS I can see homes that range from 135K to over 500K and have maintained their value in most cases. The median price for the month of August 09 for Sun City was 196K. The traffic isn't a problem, I am from Houston and the complainers haven't seen bad traffic I am thinking!
If you want a nice, quiet, maintained home and many of opportunities to have a great time in the prime of your life... this is the place for you. Oh and by the way, this isn't an advertisement I do not work for Sun City, I just live here.
Anything would be a relief after living in Houston. I know that from listening to a cousin and her executive husband who got stuck there 8 years and now live the life of Riley in Tucson.

It wasn't the residents of Sun City I had a problem with during my two years living there. No, I had many good friends there. Rather, it was the management, the town and state government, the attitude of the Georgetown locals, and the "gestapo" HOA restrictions. Anyone who doesn't see that has blinders on -- they don't want to admit it.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefirst View Post
Me - I'm a Homeowner with husband - from the East Coast.

The Good: (1) I'm A Gyn Rat - and here - excellent Gym Facitities - free weights, lots of equipment and lots of aerobics and so forth from 6:00 AM to 9:00 PM; private, unhurried traffic - so, for my bicycle riding - I can do 30 plus miles here without going over the same road twice and virtually all of us drive "Texas Friendly". (2) Community Restrictions: Limited visiting which most of us here prefer - no nasty, unruly visitors; and, children can only use the Pool areas a couple of hours a day - perfect form most of us - no teenagers, no noise and so forth. (3) Any and all "Projects" for your property must be approved - wonderful - all properties here are in wonderful condition and no "pink" or "purple" houses and all yards and such must be maintained. And, the Landscaping here - this is truly a "resort". (4) Lots of Activities: From computer classes to painting to studying most languages - and ACC Community College nearby - over age 65 - 6 credits are free - no charge but for books - each semester. (5) Texas has no State Income Tax - so, Property Taxes a bit higher - easy to live with. (6) There is a "full time", 24 hour Classical Music Station broadcasting from Austin - perfect - as is the Austin Symphony and so forth.

The Bad. See Above. No everyone can live within "rules and regulations"; and, lots of people from California here - so - this can be a problem for some - for me - I ignore them.

So - and least I forget - prices of Houses - goodness - I've a fully detached house almost across the street from a "nature area" - not to be developed area - two car garage and so forth - where could I get this for $140,000 anywhere else - Life Is Good Here.
First, I am not from California, never lived there, and have no relatives there. However, I like California people -- they are openminded and "up", and I am tired of people who don't like them.

Second, you paid $140K for your Sun City house. I notice you did not say what you pay in taxes and homeowners fees. Are you embarrassed to admit what you fell for?

In '98, I paid $127K for a dinky 1,000 sq. ft. casita. My taxes for that place were $2800, $1900 of which went to the schools. I can only imagine what you pay on a house in 2009 which cost you $140K -- unless you are over 65 and recently moved to Sun City from a slum area in Austin like the 82-year old lady who lived across the street from me there in Sun City. Her house was almost identical to mine, yet she froze her $300 "slum" taxes while I paid through the nose. Real fair, isn't it? TX has one thing in common with NJ -- they are both run by crooks when it comes to the property tax structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin