Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,219 times

Advertisements

I know of someone who is looking to move to Buda. Even though I've lived in Austin for a while, I know nothing about Buda. Is it a good place too live, too rural? Any opinions, pros or cons!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,694 times
If you can, do a search on Buda and you will see a number of threads pertaining to what you are looking for. I'm not trying to be rude, (or am I?) but I've seen threads about Buda over and over and I think I've even asked that same question...

Which leads me to wonder why the people here on the forum were so patient as to answer my question that had been asked a thousand times before.

Although...I have been told to do a search, (probably Steve) and then felt like I was being put off.

I'm not trying to put you off...really. I'm just thinking you might get some good answers.

It's one of those days...

I'm asking myself: why are we humans such barbarians?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,299 times
Oh my, the thread devolved rather quickly into the topic of whether "humans are fundamentally barbarians" in record time. I think we should start over.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
Buda used to be a lovely little small town where you lived to get away from the hubbub of city life, while being within a relatively short drive (by Texas standards) from Austin. More of a country town. I used to drive through it on the way from the Waldorf School in Dripping Springs to the stables where we boarded in Niederwald on a daily basis. Very nice place.

However, it's grown a lot over the recent years, has the requisite HEB (I think an HEB Plus, but I'm not positive), subdivisions springing up like mushrooms, Cabelos is there, etc. So I wouldn't call it "too rural" (nor would I consider that, if it were, to make it not "a good place to live", it was probably a nicer place to live before all the growth happened, for some folks - it all depends on what you're looking for), by any means. And it's pretty convenient to Austin these days, by I35 and a couple of back roads.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:55 AM

680 posts, read 1,383,624 times
I am very fond of Buda. His emphasis on compassion and the path to the cessation of suffering is comparable to what Christ taught. While he never intended to start a religion, he... wait a minute... I think I got confused...

Buda has a very cute downtown (about 2 blocks worth of it), is beautiful to the west, hideous to the east, booming and probably a safe place to buy if you want your property value to hold (especially if you're not in a generic subdivision without unique amenities), it's a miserable commute into downtown Austin, but with all the growth in Hays County it would seem an easy area to find a job and avoid the harsh commute.

Buda is not the cultural capital of Texas, to put it mildly. Nor is Kyle. Being flanked by Austin and San Marcos will probably prevent any substantial presence of cultural amenities in between the college towns. It's basically suburban with nice access to the beautiful countryside west of Buda/Kyle, around Wimberley and Blanco and other places west and southwest.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:36 AM

554 posts, read 1,060,676 times
Hopefully you aren't a 9-5er who plans to commute to downtown Austin..... have fun on I35

Buda, away from the highway can get very country-like. It's quiet out there and you wouldn't know it's 2010.

I do see it growing really fast with those subdivisions popping up near 35.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:16 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,219 times
I live in SW Austin, this post is for someone who I know that is thinking about moving to Buda. Commute is not an issue.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:05 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
A friend of mine that lived in Buda some years ago (actually grew up there) found that there were some interesting political issues - stay small vs grow, mainly - and those resulted in tension between some of the newcomers and some of the old timers. Not sure if that is still an issue, but would not be surprised if it is, at least to an extent.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,691 times
I am retiring from Government law enforcement after 27 years, thinking of moving to buda.the kids are on their own, just me and my wife of 30 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin