Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:19 PM

21 posts, read 65,114 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm graduating soon and I'm looking into different places I might want to work and live during the year or so before I go to graduate school. Texas and South Carolina are two of my top choices right now (i'd like to stay down south, since I'm from MS and 7ish hours away is the most i'm willing to go).

I've been told that Austin is better for young people than many other places in TX?

What are the pros and cons of living here as a young grad?

Thank you!

edit: I want to clarify that i'd be finding a job and THEN moving down, not just moving all willy-nilly. ;D

Last edited by grad2012; 11-06-2011 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 PM

442 posts, read 1,298,116 times
austin is an amazing place....the only thing thats difficult is the public transportation, but if you elive dowtown its all good. i just moved here 4 months ago from nyc and i absolutely love, austin is the bomb!

way better than SC, cmon now.....

Old 11-06-2011, 07:21 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,128,923 times
One of the main advantages is also a drawback! That is, the very large number of recent college grads in the city. It can be wonderful -- lots of peers and things to do -- but it also means that there is FIERCE competition for entry level jobs, internships, and "first-rung-on-the-ladder" jobs. And you will lack the built-in network that UT grads have. It can be incredibly tough to get a "real" job here for twenty somethings. And because of all the competition, wages will be lower too.

And I agree, way better than SC! Have you considered Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville, or Louisville?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:12 PM

327 posts, read 767,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad2012 View Post
Hey all,

I'm graduating soon and I'm looking into different places I might want to work and live during the year or so before I go to graduate school. Texas and South Carolina are two of my top choices right now (i'd like to stay down south, since I'm from MS and 7ish hours away is the most i'm willing to go).

I've been told that Austin is better for young people than many other places in TX?

What are the pros and cons of living here as a young grad?

Thank you!

edit: I want to clarify that i'd be finding a job and THEN moving down, not just moving all willy-nilly. ;D
I'm from Mississippi as well and Austin is a huge upgrade from anything MS has to offer. Come and visit. What college are you graduating from? MSU graduate here.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:32 PM

21 posts, read 65,114 times
Thanks for everyone's input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
One of the main advantages is also a drawback! That is, the very large number of recent college grads in the city. It can be wonderful -- lots of peers and things to do -- but it also means that there is FIERCE competition for entry level jobs, internships, and "first-rung-on-the-ladder" jobs. And you will lack the built-in network that UT grads have. It can be incredibly tough to get a "real" job here for twenty somethings. And because of all the competition, wages will be lower too.

And I agree, way better than SC! Have you considered Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville, or Louisville?
Yeah that's the thing that scares me. My college has pretty far reaching networks, so that may end up being my saving grace. I'm hoping(maybe) to go to UT for grad, so that's also one reason i'm thinking about testing out a year there.

I am considering all of those as well! Primarily Memphis, but part of me wants to go a bit further to somewhere I'm NOT as comfortable with.

I've never been to Louisville, but I'm hearing more and more people talking about it as a great place post-grad.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:51 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,628,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad2012 View Post
Thanks for everyone's input!

Yeah that's the thing that scares me. My college has pretty far reaching networks, so that may end up being my saving grace. I'm hoping(maybe) to go to UT for grad, so that's also one reason i'm thinking about testing out a year there.

I am considering all of those as well! Primarily Memphis, but part of me wants to go a bit further to somewhere I'm NOT as comfortable with.

I've never been to Louisville, but I'm hearing more and more people talking about it as a great place post-grad.

You could also consider San Antonio UTSA

Welcome to The University of Texas at San Antonio | UTSA

San Antonio Texas official vacation and visitor information. San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. :: VisitSanAntonio.com

San Antonio named a top spot for college grads - San Antonio Business Journal

Old 11-08-2011, 01:15 PM

404 posts, read 713,070 times
I moved here about 18 months ago.

Pros: good culture. lots of stuff to do. the weather is nice 4 months/year. the best people you'll ever meet are from Austin. cheaper than socal or boston, but relatively speaking, not cheap. open minded and diverse, the progressive culture here has just about everyone from every background and lots of music and art.

Cons: After a year, I still can't find a good job. There are a lot of $10/hr no benefit type jobs tho, if you can feel good about living on $1360 a month for full time everyday work. all us transplants have caused growth without sufficient urban planning. last summer was like living in a toaster oven. its starting to a look like yuppie playground. rents, electricity and water are all going up up up! i heard some dude from new york say "people move here but most of them keep on moving"

Old 11-09-2011, 04:00 AM

241 posts, read 713,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
the weather is nice 4 months/year.
which 4?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:10 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,128,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
which 4?
November, December, January, February!

Summer can easily run from May 1st to October 31st!

Others might say the best months are February, March, April, May, spring can be glorious here.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,725,433 times
Spring can be good, except for the crazy tornado producing spring storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin