Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 11:08 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,580,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
HFCS is sugar. Concentrated, but sugar.

MSG occurs naturally in many foods - most notably tomatoes and cheese. Not as concentrated as the drag eggrolls, but same thing.

Nothing inherently bad about either, except the quantity we consume....

Sugar, especially refined sugar, is bad enough...HFCS has no redeeming qualities other than saving SOMEone money and effort(shelf life considerations). Cranking up the fructose is a bit like overdosing on "sugar", something we Americans are already doing in phenomenal numbers.

MSG isn't just a flavor enhancer, it IS a flavor...personally, I'd rather taste the food, no SO much the condiments. Ever watched a kid(or many adults) eat French fries and match the amount of potato with an equal amount of ketchup? Yikes!

Yes, it's pretty much a matter of scale/proportion; but I doubt the eggroll vendors gave a second thought to the amount of MSG they dumped into the food, as long as it sold well.

I'm no zealot when it comes to healthy eating; but some companies just don't get it. I'll lump Blue Bell in there and after you read the list of ingredients in most of their ice cream, you might even agree...

Ingredients: Milk, cream, skim milk, sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, whey, buttermilk, natural and artificial flavor, cellulose gum, vegetable gums (guar, carrageenan, carob bean), soy mono- and diglycerides, polysorbate 60, xanthan gum, annatto color.

Just an example of a company who had a chance(not of their choosing, I reckon) to do a little better; but decided to save a few bucks.

And before anyone says it, NO...no one is forcing us to eat crummy food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 11:46 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,693,423 times
All true .

But for 99% of the population (or more), 'excess' MSG has no effect. Excess sugar or HFCS has a very negative effect. So MSG is basically a taste preference.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:08 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,136,956 times
I had forgotten about those egg rolls!

Old 11-01-2017, 12:37 PM

668 posts, read 785,528 times
I had forgotten about Les Amis! I loved that place. Also loved the record store that was in that same building next to it--was that Sound Exchange? I got my hair dyed an unnatural color for the first time at the salon upstairs there, too--Fresh Hair.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:22 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,958,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
I had forgotten about Les Amis! I loved that place. Also loved the record store that was in that same building next to it--was that Sound Exchange? I got my hair dyed an unnatural color for the first time at the salon upstairs there, too--Fresh Hair.
I think that was Inner Sanctum. I think Sound Exchange was further down on the drag?

Old 11-01-2017, 08:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
I think that was Inner Sanctum. I think Sound Exchange was further down on the drag?
Yep, Inner Sanctum. It was there before Sound Exchange opened on the Drag. I STILL miss Les Amis.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:26 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,904,229 times
Yeah, definitely Inner Sanctum Records. I used to love that place. Besides Inner Sanctum and the salon, there was a pipe store in that little building (not so much a head shop as a real pipe store IIRC.) These were really tiny stores. And Les Amis next door...

Sound exchange was at the corner of 21st and Guadalupe, where the Daniel Johnston mural is. I think it’s a Thai food place now.

For a least a little while I was there, we had Sound Exchange, Tower Records, and Inner Sanctum all right there along a few blocks on/by the drag. Not to mention Quakenbush’s. Plus Einstein’s and LeFun arcades... open til like 4am if I remember right. Fond memories.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:10 AM

1,062 posts, read 984,791 times
Those vendors were there in the early 2000s and they also had good sausage rolls

Old 11-02-2017, 04:26 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,782,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I was not referring to a restaurant. The egg rolls I remember were sold out of carts on the sidewalk. Very low overhead.
But the City of Austin needs to protect you from bad food. You don't know what's best for you but The City does.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:27 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,233,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Those vendors were there in the early 2000s and they also had good sausage rolls
I haven't been to Austin in 20 years but I still have fond memories of sausage rolls in puff pastry with carraway seeds from Swedish Hill bakery. I'd love to get my hands on one of those right now. And wash it down with an egg roll from a cart.

I wonder if the egg roll carts were in business in the 1960's. I'm going to a big-screen presentation of Tower tomorrow night (the animated documentary about the tower shootings). I already saw it once - will have to pay attention and watch for the carts this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: