Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 08:17 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,123,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
The carts were owned and run by the same restaurant. One of which would be staffed by their daughter from time to time... yeah. Memories.
i remember those carts too! So many cheap lunches! Egg rolls from the cart, black beans and rice at Quack's for less than $3, and grilled cheese at Les Amis! Those were the days.

The carts are long gone however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 03:58 AM

176 posts, read 351,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I was not referring to a restaurant. The egg rolls I remember were sold out of carts on the sidewalk. Very low overhead.
Yes, they were VERY low overhead because they made all their money buying and reselling stolen property. The police raided the owner's home and it was packed to the gills with stolen electronics.
Property crime went way down in West Campus after the place was shut down.

It did reopen under a new owner but didn't last more than a few months.
This was around 1999-2000 maybe.

As shocking this was, the drug money laundering at all the arcades was more obscene.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:41 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,423,719 times
Drifting a bit from the OP's topic, but I remember Les Amis from the early 70s ... but unfortunately I don't remember what I ate there. I do remember enjoying Hamburgers By Gourmet in the basement of what has been since then (for so many years) the Church of Scientology. I have "fond" memories (not really) of being harassed by their acolytes while walking to classes at UT from my apartment west of campus.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:44 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,423,719 times
Thinking back some more: does anyone remember Night Hawk. I used to enjoy hamburgers at their location on Guadalupe just south of Dobie Center. There was also a Mr. Gatti's pizza place nearby, back when they were actually pretty good. Times have changed, I guess.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:20 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 2 days ago)

5,736 posts, read 4,724,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Unfortunately, probably a lot of MSG as well!
MSG isn't actually bad for you. Just got a bad rap from someone who made the whole allergy thing up. No science.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...e/faq-20058196

Old 10-29-2017, 09:43 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,576,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
MSG isn't actually bad for you. Just got a bad rap from someone who made the whole allergy thing up. No science.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...e/faq-20058196
I have at least two relatives who can tell you within 3 minutes if they ate something with MSG...their physical reactions are not made up.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:54 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,686,859 times
Quote:
I have at least two relatives who can tell you within 3 minutes if they ate something with MSG...their physical reactions are not made up.
People can react to MSG, obviously, but that in of itself does not make MSG the monster the advertisers would have you believe. If it doesn't affect you, it is really no different than a million other ingredients. It became the target du jour a while back. Go ask corn syrup about life in the spotlight .

Old 10-30-2017, 08:58 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,576,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
People can react to MSG, obviously, but that in of itself does not make MSG the monster the advertisers would have you believe. If it doesn't affect you, it is really no different than a million other ingredients. It became the target du jour a while back. Go ask corn syrup about life in the spotlight .
Pretty sure all of us could do better without MSG and High Fructose Corn Syrup in our lives...you can have mine.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:02 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,686,859 times
Quote:
Pretty sure all of us could do better without MSG and High Fructose Corn Syrup in our lives...you can have mine.
HFCS is sugar. Concentrated, but sugar.

MSG occurs naturally in many foods - most notably tomatoes and cheese. Not as concentrated as the drag eggrolls, but same thing.

Nothing inherently bad about either, except the quantity we consume....

Old 10-30-2017, 09:26 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,456,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
HFCS is sugar. Concentrated, but sugar.

MSG occurs naturally in many foods - most notably tomatoes and cheese. Not as concentrated as the drag eggrolls, but same thing.

Nothing inherently bad about either, except the quantity we consume....
Exactly. I had a young girl tell me once that she was allergic to MSG - AFTER she was eating her third serving of a dish I'd made that absolutely contained it. (I would not have let her eat it if I'd known beforehand.) I didn't tell her, she didn't know, and she had absolutely no symptoms whatsoever, though she certainly would have if she had known she'd consumed it. There was an MSG bandwagon that was part of the whole allergy bandwagon that was going strong back then (for some reason some people think it's "cool" to have the condition du jour, and others realize that they can manipulate everyone else if they claim to have it). My daughter went to a school where fully half the kids had "food allergies" that could not be diagnosed by actual allergy doctors but their parents just knew they had them and that the allergies were the cause of their misbehavior. Whenever her friends came to visit I would dutifully get a list of their allergies from their parents. I noticed, however, that whenever I would offer something not on the list, the kids would declare they were allergic. This continued until I said, in so many words, "In this house, you can not like something; just say so. You do not have to be allergic to it." The kids had been taught by their parents to claim allergy whenever they didn't want to eat/do something. It was pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: