Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:43 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,469,892 times

Advertisements

We've tried lots of ways driving to Tyler, but we found that the quickest is Hwy 79. You'll have to decide the best way to get to 79 from I20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 03:55 PM

77 posts, read 382,751 times
Default No fan of the Tyler short cut

Sigh. Sometimes hard to choose between construction barrels and few places to stop to find something to eat and take a potty break. Just drove the "shortcut" out of Waco last weekend to Shreveport LA and I don't think I want to do it again. The roads are okay but the changing speeds are a pain. Worse than 290 E to Houston IMO. Few service stations, few places to grab a bite, and exceptionally poor signage in Tyler -- don't think they want us to find I-20. If I did not have a GPS in the car, I'd have been lost. As it was, I missed the circle and ended up going right thru downtown. Intend to stick with the interstates from now on. Just don't like being in an area where would not like to be if I were to have car trouble.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 PM

106 posts, read 472,365 times
I say go down along the gulf and go through New Orleans and Houston. Both of those cities are interesting. Believe or not you probably won't hit congestion in Houston unless they are doing road maintenance but I've heard they're always doing road maintenance.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:07 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,469,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Well, we made it! For what it's worth, we took I-20 west to I35E and 'tried' to go south...oops! Should have taken that Tyler cutoff. I35E from just a couple of miles south of I20 until almost where 35E & W merge was a ONE-LANE, stop and go, bumper to bumper, shoulder to the concrete retaining wall parking lot! Like 600 miles after a 420 mile day wasn't bad enough...
We'll take the 'scenic' route on the way back.
If anyone is making the Dallas trip, try to find construction delay info before you hit the road.
I thought the official tree of GEORGIA was the orange construction barrel...looks like you folks have your share, as well!
Sure wish the 73 degree temps would stay around for our visit...not looking too good for this weekend!
Glad you made it and hope you have a productive visit...sorry about the weather though.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:54 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,190,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedawg View Post
I say go down along the gulf and go through New Orleans and Houston. Both of those cities are interesting. Believe or not you probably won't hit congestion in Houston unless they are doing road maintenance but I've heard they're always doing road maintenance.
When I drove through Houston it wasn't that bad. It was pretty busy though.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:29 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,576,751 times
Thanks for the much improved weather today-Tuesday. Pretty exciting stuff Saturday...we were just west of the biggest storms. We'll spend today and Monday house-hunting and probably head home Tues/Wed...plenty of time to plot our escape route back up to I20 headed east. Another stop north of Jackson, MS so we will stick with I20.

Thanks for the info!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
We've tried lots of ways driving to Tyler, but we found that the quickest is Hwy 79. You'll have to decide the best way to get to 79 from I20.
Thanks, this time we went 31 from Waco to Corsicana... Athens...to Tyler. Pretty smooth ride, plenty of 70mph roads, couple of small towns for 'flavor'. Might stay on the interstate if it's late-night or bad weather next time but overall, a good trip. I can see how 79 is a good route if you start on that side of town...maybe next time.

Thanks everyone...I'll quit answering my own thread now.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:42 PM

So you'll have to share with me the fastest route once you get home!

Did you find a house yet?

Old 02-21-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
So you'll have to share with me the fastest route once you get home!

Did you find a house yet?
Well, I guess I should break the news...even if it's a bit premature...
With apologies to those who don't like the 'burbs, we found a fantastic house in Avery Ranch. DW spent a little time down south but I concentrated on west and north. Anything close in west of MoPac was $400K in need of $200K worth of updating(and it would still be a 3/2, 1400sq ft.). We really wanted newer and bigger and the house we found is it! Been on the market for a few months so I hope to bring it halfway back to our 'target' price with a fairly low offer. Backs to a pond and green space, distances to side neighbors are typical of the area. All Texas stone exterior with a really nice stone patio. 3-car garage doesn't hurt!

Sorry the celebrity golf tournament is no longer there but the club is reasonable to join and the tennis courts are within walking distance. We like the different 'escape routes' provided by the highways in each direction. We won't have to deal with normal commute hours and each time we drove south to 2222 & MoPac or even to UT, the trip was smooth.

A number of things need to fall into place at once...anybody need a house in Sandy Springs, GA?

Old 02-22-2008, 05:21 AM

Exciting! House hunting is so much fun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin