Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:35 PM

35 posts, read 96,689 times

Advertisements

Probably a stupid question, but does one need to make an appointment for taking the written and practical driving license tests? I've tried phoning the DPS offices at North Lamar and South Congress and can't get an actual person.

Am I meant to just go in and take the tests there and then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 PM

554 posts, read 1,745,908 times
The DPS does not offer appointments here you just show up. Its not a stupid question since some places have this type or system. Plan to be there for 2-3 hours. I would recommend the NW location off 183. Its generally not as busy on Tues-Thurs afternoon and Lamar seems busy all of the time.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:46 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,492 times
My out-of-state driver's license expired before I was able to get a TX license, and I had to take both the "written" and driving test. ("Written" is actually done on a computer.) Yes, you just show up with everything you need and take a number. Sometimes, there's not much of a wait at all.

For the driving test, I was told to come back later that afternoon at a certain time..........no need to wait for a number, but to go to a certain clerk and tell him / her that I was there for the test.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:33 PM

94 posts, read 155,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
The DPS does not offer appointments here you just show up. Its not a stupid question since some places have this type or system. Plan to be there for 2-3 hours. I would recommend the NW location off 183. Its generally not as busy on Tues-Thurs afternoon and Lamar seems busy all of the time.
Thanks, someguyatx, for the info on which office is the least busy during the day, it'll make getting a TX license a little easier.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bics.g View Post
Probably a stupid question, but does one need to make an appointment for taking the written and practical driving license tests? I've tried phoning the DPS offices at North Lamar and South Congress and can't get an actual person.

Am I meant to just go in and take the tests there and then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Rose View Post
Thanks, someguyatx, for the info on which office is the least busy during the day, it'll make getting a TX license a little easier.
Make sure you have the 'real' paperwork outlined on the website. They are particularly interested in your original documents, not copies.

Also, if you are bringing a vehicle into Texas, you'll need to get it squared away BEFORE you get your license. This should help you get started:
New Residents

Have fun!

AND, unless things have changed, the 'get there early before the crowd' approach doesn't seem to work(at least, that's what I've heard...no reason to line up at dawn).

Old 08-26-2011, 02:00 AM

94 posts, read 155,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Make sure you have the 'real' paperwork outlined on the website. They are particularly interested in your original documents, not copies.

Also, if you are bringing a vehicle into Texas, you'll need to get it squared away BEFORE you get your license. This should help you get started:
New Residents

Have fun!

AND, unless things have changed, the 'get there early before the crowd' approach doesn't seem to work(at least, that's what I've heard...no reason to line up at dawn).
Thanks again. I'll take a look at the link, just to make sure I have everything I need before I get there. I have already looked at what my car will need to be legal in TX and it will be going in for a check up before I leave WA.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:32 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Rose View Post
Thanks again. I'll take a look at the link, just to make sure I have everything I need before I get there. I have already looked at what my car will need to be legal in TX and it will be going in for a check up before I leave WA.
If you already have a driver's license in WA, you don't need to go thru the driving test in Texas to get one here. At least I didn't when I moved here from CA. I just went in the (Georgetown) DPS office and applied and it came in the mail a week or so later.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:03 AM

515 posts, read 1,396,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
If you already have a driver's license in WA, you don't need to go thru the driving test in Texas to get one here. At least I didn't when I moved here from CA. I just went in the (Georgetown) DPS office and applied and it came in the mail a week or so later.
Same here. Just registered our cars here in TX and then went to the DPS office with the correct forms and got a new license. No need to take a written test or a driving test. However if your license has expired in your state, that might change things, not sure.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:17 AM

554 posts, read 1,745,908 times
Apparently most states will transfer directly buy maybe not all. Also yes if your license is expired in another state you have to take the entire test again. I learned this one the hard way. During the driving test the lady was surprised that I was such a good driver. When I told her that I owned my car for the last 7 years so I was pretty familiar with it we ended up just driving around their little test route chatting then I had to parallel park at the end between some cones.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 AM

144 posts, read 295,921 times
I never had to take a test at all because when I was 15-16 yrs old they let my parents do a home taught program and the parent was able to tell DPS if they wanted their child to take the test or not. I don't know if that makes me a bad driver but I don't think I am haha. Most people think they are the best driver when they could possibly be the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin