Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,547,088 times

Advertisements

Planning a move in the next few months(from ATL...I've gotten plenty of helpful info from these boards!) and may also be buying a new vehicle. In GA, we pay sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle(+-7% depending on the county you're in) and each year, we pay ad valorem tax to renew tags. This also depends on your county but a $40k vehicle runs around $500 each year for tags(decreases each year as vehicle value decreases).

I'm wondering if there would be an advantage to holding off on my purchase until we move(IOW, is there a cap on sales tax in TX as there is in South Carolina or would I pay the 8 or so per cent on the total price in Austin?) Also, is there an ad valorem tax tied to car tag renewal each year?

Thanks for the help...I've found a lot of info on the gov't site pages but nothing addressing this particular issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 07:21 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
Hmmm...we bought a new car a couple years ago, but I can't remember the exact tax rate. It might have been the 'normal' 8.25% COA sales tax, but for some reason I seem to recall it was a lower amout. Anyway, the tags will cost you a lot less each year, but even if you buy the car in GA, they will cost the same here as if you bought it here.......

Old 10-23-2007, 09:16 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,547,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Hmmm...we bought a new car a couple years ago, but I can't remember the exact tax rate. It might have been the 'normal' 8.25% COA sales tax, but for some reason I seem to recall it was a lower amout. Anyway, the tags will cost you a lot less each year, but even if you buy the car in GA, they will cost the same here as if you bought it here.......

Tw2, thanks, I just didn't want to make a $2K mistake by buying the car here in GA before the move and paying 7% IF I could time it by purchasing the auto AFTER our move to Austin. It's a wash if the Austin tax is close to the standard sales tax rate.

My brother and I purchased our MOM a car here in GA but since MOM lives in SC, the sales tax was capped at $300 in SC vs $2100 here in GA. It's a one-time charge but we're dealing with some big numbers on a new C70 as our next car(could be a 328i 'vert' if we go completely nuts!).

Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,334 times
My Atlanta friend and her husband flew to a town outside of Houston to buy a new Z and drove it back to Atlanta. They did have connections, but maybe the prices are lower here to compensate for the higher sales tax? Other things are so it might be worth a few phone calls.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:38 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,501 times
I'd check on the taxes. I "think" you may have to pay sales tax on vehicles bought out of state but registered in TX within a certain short time frame. I vaguely remember my wife having to pay some crazy amount to register her new car purchased in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin