Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,498 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends. I would like to respond to a previous (closed) post (https://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...ving-az-2.html) where an individual requested local opinions about allowing their cats to stay outdoors or indoors/outdoors, once they moved to the general area of Phoenix, Arizona.

As a long-time resident, cat owner and general do-gooder, I provide the following arguments AGAINST allowing your cat or small dog to wander in your yard or outside in our beautiful state of Arizona. I am also a long-time colony manager and advocate for TNR (trap/neuter/return) and have seen firsthand what outdoor cats are exposed to every day, even in well-sheltering apartment complexes. Whether it is in a heavily populated city area or an outskirt community, or more rural area, keep your cat indoors because:

(1) Natural predators abound - as there are great food supplies and general amusement for cats (small birds, insects, lizards) which are available year-round, there is likewise the predators which similarly seek these animals: coyotes, owls, snakes, scorpions, bobcats, etc. Even in the most populated areas, in the greater Phoenix area (Surprise/Glendale/Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa/Scottsdale/Peoria, etc), we have washes and undeveloped areas for sewage canals throughout the city, which are great hiding and living areas for coyotes, bobcats and other predators. The beauty and areas of undeveloped land within areas in the city are likewise what makes our city in general a dangerous environment for domesticated animals.

(2) Natural disease - Forget about your basic vaccine diseases (FVRCP, FIV, rabies, etc), which are still not 100% effective: this state also has natural diseases like Valley Fever, a south western, soil-based and wind-distributable fungal disease, which is hard and expensive to manage in cats. There is no cure for Valley Fever in humans or in cats, although better vaccines are being developed and there is some talk of funding a cure at some point. My two cats, who do NOT go outside but have been exposed to simple air coming through the front screen door, were recently diagnosed and are currently being treated for Valley Fever.

(3) Cats get lost here all the time - And never found. Just take a look at all the "LOST" dog and cat posters in any veterinary office, or online at Petfinder.org. I have seen them all over town, on mailboxes and in public places. Whether natural predators may have attacked them, they were run over in traffic, or got stuck in some place while wandering, the options are endless...because the climate is generally so nice, well-fed cats will want to wander around...and have just increased their risk of death as a result.

(4) Shelters Can't Manage All The Lost/Abandoned Pets found - As a result of people allowing their unsterilized pets to wander around and breed, the animal shelters in Arizona are too full of animals surrendered. If your pet looks old, sick or unfriendly, it will go into the "euthanize" category, due to limited space, which means it will be put to sleep within a day. It is only because of the huge volume of drop-offs that these facilities are forced to make hard decisions of life/death: we can't fault them, but we can fault ourselves. Additionally, there are more and more "house hoarding" cases where cats and dogs are regularly being brought into these shelters.

(5) Carcinogenic chemicals - Because the Arizona climate invites year-round outdoor activities, including construction, car repair and landscaping, there is always the possibly your outdoor pet will be exposed to carcinogens such as pesticides, cleaning agents, and other harsh chemicals which are fatal if ingested/touched by animals or humans.

I welcome all and any questions/comments from prospective pet owners moving to Arizona, and current residents of Arizona wishing to comment on my post. Thank you and God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 12:34 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Definitely NOT a "cat person" nor a cat expert, GoodSamaritan . . .

However, if the number of Lost Cat Signs posted around my neighborhood (about a block from the Rillito River) are an indicator . . . you are absolutely correct. There must be lots of missing and/or lost cats.

A few years ago, I had a neighbor who was devoted to her two cats and they never went outside. As I have never owned a cat, at first I thought that was kinda strange. I soon learned that a cat roaming the streets has a very short life expectancy . . . SO SAD.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:54 PM

344 posts, read 642,999 times
Our Tom was killed by an Owl. Phobus was one mean cat, but no match.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:01 PM

32 posts, read 59,995 times
VERY informative. Thank you!

Old 12-01-2014, 11:29 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
This is a good post, and precisely the reason our cats are indoor-only cats. Even back in IL they were kept indoors due to coyotes and owls. There are just too many dangerous critters out there to let them wander around unsupervised. Scorpions arent a threat, though, and those can be found inside anyways.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:22 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
You forgot:

(6) Trappers in the guise of a "Rescue": These on the surface "concerned animal people" regularly roam neighborhoods after dark with cat traps. They will place them for a day and then come back the next night to collect their bounty. Each cat will "adopt" for about $130. If they are not spayed/neutered, most of these Trappers take advantage of Maricopa County's free vouchers via their SNAP program (max of 5 per month) or use a low cost clinic to fix the cat. They don't care if the cat is a pet...typically those will get adopted first anyway since they are already fixed, normally friendly and obviously the owner didn't care enough about the cat to keep them indoors (in their mind...not mine). Your only defense is micro-chipping your pets but even then, until someone scans it, your pet is gone.

This combined with the above reasons should be enough to encourage you to keep your furry friends indoors. Build them some shelves, a cat tree, a decent litter box and a place to watch "Cat TV" and you will be much happier than letting your cats roam free.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:28 AM

Oh...and btw...cats LOVE scorpions to play with and while not "immune" from a sting, the venom does not cause the same reaction that it does in humans.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:01 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
You forgot:

(6) Trappers in the guise of a "Rescue": These on the surface "concerned animal people" regularly roam neighborhoods after dark with cat traps. They will place them for a day and then come back the next night to collect their bounty. Each cat will "adopt" for about $130. If they are not spayed/neutered, most of these Trappers take advantage of Maricopa County's free vouchers via their SNAP program (max of 5 per month) or use a low cost clinic to fix the cat. They don't care if the cat is a pet...typically those will get adopted first anyway since they are already fixed, normally friendly and obviously the owner didn't care enough about the cat to keep them indoors (in their mind...not mine). Your only defense is micro-chipping your pets but even then, until someone scans it, your pet is gone.
What you're describing is not "Trappers in the guise of a 'Rescue.'" Within the animal rescue community, TNR (trap, neuter, release) is a common, accepted, and humane way of dealing with feral and community cats. There are organizations that loan out humane traps and as you said, low cost spay/neuter clinics who work exclusively with feral/community cats. All this is done with the approval and assistance of the county.

Cats are trapped as you describe, but are returned to the same area once they've been neutered. This is not a moneymaking scheme to acquire animals for adoption. The point is to reduce the number of unaltered cats endlessly reproducing.

I've been very active in rescue for years, and there is no shortage of animals at the pound and humane society to be saved from euthanasia and adopted out. Rescues save animals from there (already neutered), get them vetted, and find safe homes for them. The fees they charge cover the cost of feeding, care, and vetting.

You're mixing up two different things. Having said that, there's no question indoor cats live longer than those allowed to roam.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:31 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
What you're describing is not "Trappers in the guise of a 'Rescue.'" Within the animal rescue community, TNR (trap, neuter, release) is a common, accepted, and humane way of dealing with feral and community cats. There are organizations that loan out humane traps and as you said, low cost spay/neuter clinics who work exclusively with feral/community cats. All this is done with the approval and assistance of the county.

Cats are trapped as you describe, but are returned to the same area once they've been neutered. This is not a moneymaking scheme to acquire animals for adoption. The point is to reduce the number of unaltered cats endlessly reproducing.

I've been very active in rescue for years, and there is no shortage of animals at the pound and humane society to be saved from euthanasia and adopted out. Rescues save animals from there (already neutered), get them vetted, and find safe homes for them. The fees they charge cover the cost of feeding, care, and vetting.

You're mixing up two different things. Having said that, there's no question indoor cats live longer than those allowed to roam.
I thought that was odd...who would pay $130 to a "cat trapper" for a cat?

Old 12-03-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post

No, I am familiar with TNR...I have a neighborhood friend that does this. And no, I am not confusing them...there are plenty of legitimate Rescues in the Valley but there are some individuals that are, in fact, trapping neighborhood pets and re-selling them at PetSmart/PetCo. Before we started chipping our animals, one of our cats got out and disappeared...I found him a month later at the local PetSmart but had no way of proving that he was ours. Adoption fee for an already Neutered cat? $130.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona