Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,676,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
No, I am familiar with TNR...I have a neighborhood friend that does this. And no, I am not confusing them...there are plenty of legitimate Rescues in the Valley but there are some individuals that are, in fact, trapping neighborhood pets and re-selling them at PetSmart/PetCo. Before we started chipping our animals, one of our cats got out and disappeared...I found him a month later at the local PetSmart but had no way of proving that he was ours. Adoption fee for an already Neutered cat? $130.
Let me get this straight. Your unchipped cat got out, was rescued and then put up for adoption, right? How is that in any way some sort of trapping scheme? What is it that you think rescues do?

Also, PetSmart/Co does not buy animals to then resell. It was likely a local rescue group that had adoption space there in an attempt to get visibility to their animals in the hopes of getting them adopted. Your cat wandering the neighborhood without identification likely looked like any other stray. I highly doubt your conspiracy theory has any truth to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:27 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,742,759 times
Quote:
No, I am familiar with TNR...I have a neighborhood friend that does this. And no, I am not confusing them...there are plenty of legitimate Rescues in the Valley but there are some individuals that are, in fact, trapping neighborhood pets and re-selling them at PetSmart/PetCo. Before we started chipping our animals, one of our cats got out and disappeared...I found him a month later at the local PetSmart but had no way of proving that he was ours. Adoption fee for an already Neutered cat? $130.
Unfortunately, Kurt . . . someone (other than the taxpayers) needs to help cover the costs involved with rescuing these animals since the irresponsible owners refuse to take better care of their pets.

A simple Chip and a Collar would eliminate most, if not all of these issues. In your case, did your cat have a Chip and/or a Collar when he got out?

Old 12-03-2014, 12:16 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,172,068 times
Quote:
Petsmart and Petco do not sell cats. Individual rescues occupy those adoption centers. They also hold adoption events inside the stores for dogs, bunnies, etc. These cats are not being "resold." They were rescued from the humane society or pound. And yes, rescues charge adoption fees. As I stated earlier, this covers the cost of feeding, caring for, and vetting the animals. In addition, it deters certain types of people who acquire animals for nefarious purposes. Trust me, you are mistaken. I'm sorry about your cat.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:05 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,169,024 times
The point is...he was obviously a pet. He didn't need to be "rescued"...he needed to be left alone and he would come home. And I realize it is not PetSmart/PetCo selling the cats...it is just their adoption area that the local trappers use. And there is no way that food for him for a couple of weeks that they had him captive cost them $130...he was up to date on his shots and didn't need "vetting".

For the record, yes we have collars on them but those break-away collars they recommend for cats come off too easily. He is chipped now...along with his brother. Also, after talking to the individual doing the trapping she said the same thing about "irresponsible" (in her view) owners and her responsibility to make sure they find better homes. I almost throat punched her. Gee...sorry...I didn't close the door fast enough to keep the cat in the house. Guess that makes us irresponsible. In some countries is is actually illegal to restrain a cat to the indoors.

So your assertion that it is not happening is absolutely wrong.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
The point is...he was obviously a pet. He didn't need to be "rescued"...he needed to be left alone and he would come home. And I realize it is not PetSmart/PetCo selling the cats...it is just their adoption area that the local trappers use. And there is no way that food for him for a couple of weeks that they had him captive cost them $130...he was up to date on his shots and didn't need "vetting".

For the record, yes we have collars on them but those break-away collars they recommend for cats come off too easily. He is chipped now...along with his brother. Also, after talking to the individual doing the trapping she said the same thing about "irresponsible" (in her view) owners and her responsibility to make sure they find better homes. I almost throat punched her. Gee...sorry...I didn't close the door fast enough to keep the cat in the house. Guess that makes us irresponsible. In some countries is is actually illegal to restrain a cat to the indoors.

I've already told you rescues set a standard (sometimes negotiable) adoption fee to cover costs and deter evil people. The cost doesn't vary because the former owner had them vaccinated - it's an across the board dollar amount.

If you actually spoke to a person who said she was trapping neighborhood cats, then she's telling the pound they're strays. Trust me, she is NOT getting paid to turn them in. And she's acting as an individual, not a rescue. Animals who come in as strays are first on the list to be euthanized. And that's where rescues come in.

Rescues do not trap animals to be adopted out. This does not happen. I am telling you as a person who's been very active in animal rescue here for several years. I have contacts all over the country. Believe me, there are hundreds of animals euthanized in Maricopa County 24/7/365, year after year. Rescues save animals from that. They don't go hunting to trap animals. We have far too many to save as it is.

I don't care what "other countries" think about indoor cats. It's a proven fact, no matter where they are, indoor cats live longer, healthier lives.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:00 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,169,024 times
Kimbalette...if you read my original post I specifically typed "under the guise" meaning they are pretending to be a Rescue. I know many folks in reputable Rescues and I realize what a Rescue does. And I am not even really arguing that cats should be allowed to go outside...again...ours escaped...although we have had a number of neighborhood cats hang out in our yard from time to time...they aren't ours.

Anyway...this has gotten out of hand...the OP was putting up reasons to not let your cat outdoors...I was simply trying to add another one.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:

How is an animal without a collar, roaming the streets "obviously a pet"? Your cat presumably looked like a stray. Why is it so far-fetched to believe that someone thought they were helping a stray cat? You're really jumping to conclusions by assuming that some "trapper" hunted your cat for money. I don't buy it for a second.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Kimbalette...if you read my original post I specifically typed "under the guise" meaning they are pretending to be a Rescue. I know many folks in reputable Rescues and I realize what a Rescue does. And I am not even really arguing that cats should be allowed to go outside...again...ours escaped...although we have had a number of neighborhood cats hang out in our yard from time to time...they aren't ours.

Anyway...this has gotten out of hand...the OP was putting up reasons to not let your cat outdoors...I was simply trying to add another one.
I understand. It's just that trapping cats is never a moneymaking deal. I'm glad your current cats are chipped and safe!

Old 12-03-2014, 03:20 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,466,761 times
Speaking of cats, has anyone seen my tiger running around Phoenix? I was riding it to work the other day, cloaked in my awesome, shining armor, when it reared up and threw me off unexpectedly. This happened on the corner of Buckeye and 16th St. It was last seen heading east towards Sky Harbor, with my sword still attached to it, sheathed, on the right hand side of the saddle. Please help!!!!! Reward if found!!!!

Old 12-03-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Speaking of cats, has anyone seen my tiger running around Phoenix? I was riding it to work the other day, cloaked in my awesome, shining armor, when it reared up and threw me off unexpectedly. This happened on the corner of Buckeye and 16th St. It was last seen heading east towards Sky Harbor, with my sword still attached to it, sheathed, on the right hand side of the saddle. Please help!!!!! Reward if found!!!!
Check Petco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona