Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 05:09 PM

11 posts, read 150,918 times

Advertisements

So I have been through almost every post regarding Ashfork, Juniperwoods, water hauling, off grid, septic and some bashing. What I have not seen is anything regarding building codes. What is allowable what do I need permits for and what materials for house building may be used. Im looking build green using alternative house materials. If anybody can help I would be grateful. again not looking for all the reasons I shouldn't buy here I personally love it here. All the posts seem to be pretty old so a lot has changed at least for me.
If there are any residents that would contribute I would like to hear from you. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 PM

56 posts, read 140,233 times
not sure of the codes there . my understanding is that since you get no power just about anything within reason goes . on North side of I-40 is KEW . there the building codes are strictly enforced .very few have built without permits but for that reason they are denied hookup to power .
i have not traveled into Juniperwoods as the roads are all kept up by people themselves . no county or state maintained roads . eventually the area will get to the point where building codes will be adhered to . i will ask around for some real estate people and some who acutally live there .

Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Hello, I do not live in juniperwood ranch, but about a year ago I was going to buy 40 acres of owner financed land out there. I put the down payment and 2 days before I was supposed to close the owner actually died. I could of still closed on it through the estate but I had a change of plans and ended up getting 100% of my money back which was nice. I researched the area extensively spent numerous days and nights out there and even went to yavapai building department because I too wanted to build an off grid home there (specifically one like cody lundin's sustainable home youtube it its amazing) and this is what i found out. Basically in a nutshell you have to get a perc test ($300ish?), an approved septic system ($3-5k ish?), then you can go to the building department and pay your environmental impact fee which I believe is $3400, THEN you can build whatever you will like. These areas with no building codes are getting harder to find so I say go for it. If ash fork had a lower water table this would be off grid paradise. Pristine high desert beauty. Make sure you have a nice 4x4 if you plan on coming or going anytime after it rains. Also be careful of some of the more scenic rocky properties up in the hills way back in the ranch as some of these will not pass a perc test and will be less accessible. However if you are buying 40 acres you should be able to find somewhere where it will perc especially up towards the front of the ranch. There are a few sustainable eco friendly houses out there you can see from the road. Drive around the ranch and explore a lot of land for sale back there. Look into geodesic domes for cheap huge sustainable housing, also youtube cody lundin's sustainable home it is located about 30 mins from ash fork and it truly amazing, his house stays at 65-75 degrees year round and uses no external heat or ac source not even a wood stove. He accomplished all this with a passive solar design incorporating thermal mass and good insulation. You can learn alot from him. Its the guy from discoverys "dual survival" , he also has a book and website that go into more detail about his house. Good luck hope that helps.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:06 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
^^ Great post, reps for you.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Thank you. Ash Fork gets a bad rap, and understandbly so. Between some shady characters out that way and the water haul situation it will probably continue to have a bad rap for the foreseeable future. However for someone who wants to build an off grid, eco friendly, sustainable house, Juniperwood Ranch is a great find. I researched building alternative style housing for some time and most places that allow you to build whatever you want with no building codes are in west texas or northern nevada with no populations centers of any worthy value for hours and hours in any direction. With Ash Fork you are 45-60 (depending on how fast you drive down 89) minutes from Prescott and 45-60 mins from Flagstaff, arguably. Arizona's two nicest cities. The small town of Williams is just right up I-40 as well. You get 4 seasons not as cold as flagstaff not as hot as phoenix. You get a small taste of actual freedom being able to do what you want on your land. You get amazing views of the stars amd the milky way at night. You got easy power between solar and wind out there. Views of the San Francisco Peaks and high desert beauty. Yeah the town of Ash Fork itself is a third world country but for an isolationist who onky needs to go to town for the essentials Juniperwood Ranch is great. There is plenty of flagstone out there to make a flagstone floor as well for very cheap. If only yavapai county would allow composting toliets and if the water table was 1500 feet higher I would start an off grid hippie commune out there. Also for anyone looking to build without government bureacrats telling you how many outlets you need in each room and other ridiculous red tape hoops to jump through google "Earthships Pockets of Freedom." It gives you a color coded map of all the counties in the United States that allow alternative off grid housing. I would post a link but I don't know how. I am afraid that someday there will be no places left that allow you to do what you want with your land so do it while you can.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 AM

Thank you to all who responded. I did purchase the property and Im very happy that I did. The one thing I know is that property always has value so it makes my decision to buy sound enough. As to weather I can build what I want still remains to be seen. I know that there's some speedbumps to consider and I did most of which can be over come. It really is about peace of mind. Maybe I wont have exactly what I want, Im one who tries to not use my crystal ball too much BUT I still buy green bananas It just means I plan. I will keep this post going as I go through the process. 1. I have already paid to have the land surveyed. It doesn't hurt to check the counties numbers. I have scouted an access and staked it out along the proper easements. This is a project the whole thing it brings me pleasure to just be going there on my weekends......dreaming and planing. Those of us who have put time into living (now 60) can appreciate what it is Im saying. Stay tuned will give you my progress as it happens ....Why? well it might help someone else realize there own dreams. Thanks again to all please let me know any thing else you find it's really about sharing.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:44 AM

69 posts, read 223,962 times
I enjoy reading about your efforts to realize your dreams. I too would like to do what you are doing but the spouse would definitely not want to live out in the "boonies". LOL. Too far from the kids and grand kids. Probably would have to whack her on the side of the head with a 2x4 to get her to go! Of course I'm just kidding so don't you all get excited and call the police on me. Been married for 42 years and it's cheaper to keep her! LOL. Anyway, still working on her to change her mind so I can get my place in the sun. Good luck on yours.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM

Thanks mglindo Im going to be using all my 2x4's LOL. It' something Im going back to after all these years I found out what really makes me happy is being off grid. I lived for 51/2 years in the backwoods of MO and did it with the bare essentials. I went from Hawaii,Taipai,Japan to NY and more inbetween.I lived on a small farm in northern CA. Since I have lived from LA to all parts of Orange County. Always on the go and going and going. Now I want to stay. Thanks for the comment and wishes.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 AM

6.7 Travler you might want to check this out on composting toilets.

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/water/p...ad/listpro.pdf

Looks good to me.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 25,745 times
Default Off grid in Juniperwood

I have been researching this area also. I was originally interested in Cochise County, specifically Portal, until I read about what seemed to be high crime statistics regarding illegals in that area. Has anyone heard anything about this? So I started looking in Yavapai and found Juniperwood. Also can anyone recommend a builder or a site who specializes in off grid construction? I'm trying to get an idea regarding cost. I realize there are lots of variables involved but I'm trying to determine if I should just forget about it and go to a more populated area with some solar panels on the roof or out back. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona