Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:24 PM

11 posts, read 151,143 times

Advertisements

Wow great info thank you so much. Much of what you have said is what my research has given me. I was out today saw the first creek and someone that was stuck in the creek from trying to cross.I had my jeep and winched them out. As strange as it may sound, I'm a jeeper so it was fun. Even I would not have tried to cross it.The couple were grateful he was sunk up to his rear axle.I will be putting my plans together for what to build with the proper permits thank you all for the contributions.I will continue to post as I get closer to building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
Any update kemperburt?

Old 11-26-2013, 11:39 PM

So it has been awhile since I posted. To start I spent most of the end of summer getting out to my little piece of paradise...yes corny as it sounds that's why I bought it,PEACE. I have met some interesting people along the way actually on the roads as ruff at times as they are. Talked with some and they were friendly folks.
During one of the last Monsoons, I was down checking to see if I could cross Partridge Creek which was still running pretty high. The mud and silt had built up along both sides and I was thinking this was even a bit much for my jeep when another in a pickup stopped and then said he was going to cross it he thought he could make it. Well I made a friend for life that day as I winched his truck and him and his wife up out of the mud and water.

Great Adventure for me...... my new friend was a bit sheepish and I didn't really need to rub it in as his wife was giving him plenty.

To date I spent my weekends there with my wife dog and daughter for several days and then several by myself AWESOME !!!. I put up a 13'x27' Alaknak Tent.

Yup big !! found it on sale in the Bargain Cave at Cabelas half price off best find ever

Also built a very portable 12 volt solar generator. Maybe you have seen me. 1997 Jeep with heavy duty trailer with what looks like a large Husky Tool Box. Nope it's my solar generator. My solar panels, 2000 watt Inverter and MPPT Charge Controller I have LED Lighting I run Two 60 watt Cree bulbs thats only 9 watts at night. 2 fans when it hot in the tent my wife likes it.

I run my battery power tools and just about anything else I need phones, laptop heck we even watch movies at night.

So we have stayed back there enough to start getting an Idea of where we might want put up something permanent.

Heading up after Thanksgiving just to take our older kids back there and start making the dream a reality or at least more than a tent next year I hope. Have a great turkey day everyone and it really can be an attitude of gratitude that will get you through a day.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:59 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
Congrats on the land OP. Glad you like it. We looked at juniperwoods ranch but ended up buying 43 acres at a nearby ranch instead. Glad everything is going good for you. I like to promote this area as I would like to see more off the grid type folks and back to the landers move in. More like minded people and less crazies the better for this area. Keep on keeping on and I hope all turns out well!

Old 01-04-2014, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,233 times
Kemperburt,

Great thread and I love seeing your updates. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to do essentially the same thing you described. It has been very helpful to see the pitfalls and research everyone has posted already.

Any further updates? Are you still thinking of building a dome structure?

My plans include a geodesic dome. Ever come across building code issues for that type of structure?

Thanks All!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:47 PM

472 posts, read 669,358 times
Juniperwood Ranch is really good in value. Don't over-state water issue. I believe rain-water collection is the final solution. Juniperwood Ranch has uncomparable weather, and proximity to highway. More and more houses are being built while the cost of solar is going down big time. I just got 40 acres north to I-40. Just wish someone will pave the rocky road of railroad bed.

Avoid the big lowland at the center of south of I-40.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:00 PM

56 posts, read 181,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
Juniperwood Ranch is really good in value. Don't over-state water issue. I believe rain-water collection is the final solution. Juniperwood Ranch has uncomparable weather, and proximity to highway. More and more houses are being built while the cost of solar is going down big time. I just got 40 acres north to I-40. Just wish someone will pave the rocky road of railroad bed.

Avoid the big lowland at the center of south of I-40.
If you are going to go off-grid, it might be wise to start buying your solar panels now. The new tariffs on Chinese made solar panels just went into effect very recently and it is likely to cause prices to escalate quickly. The tariff is 250%. It applies only to Chinese made panels and the purpose behind it was that it's claimed the Chinese were doing a "pump-and-dump" on the US market causing everyone to lower their price (or go bankrupt) to stay competitive. So plausibly if the Canadian, American, Mexican and German manufacturers can now raise their price 250% and still be competitive with Chinese manufacturers.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjae View Post
If you are going to go off-grid, it might be wise to start buying your solar panels now. The new tariffs on Chinese made solar panels just went into effect very recently and it is likely to cause prices to escalate quickly. The tariff is 250%. It applies only to Chinese made panels and the purpose behind it was that it's claimed the Chinese were doing a "pump-and-dump" on the US market causing everyone to lower their price (or go bankrupt) to stay competitive. So plausibly if the Canadian, American, Mexican and German manufacturers can now raise their price 250% and still be competitive with Chinese manufacturers.
The 250% tariff is not true. It is "up to 250%". I don't know what this number comes from. This punitive tariff is only posed to several largest solar panel companies in China, and the punitive tariff ranges from 15% to 31%. I don't think this tariff will influence the market price of solar panel significantly. In the long run the price of solar panel and storage battery will go down as technology advances.

Chinese Solar Panel Makers Face Punitive Tariffs - Forbes

Old 02-23-2014, 08:38 PM

I went for American Made "Renolgy" Solar. I Have moved my 26 foot travel trailer to the property. A step up from the Tent. Made the move last weekend.It was quite the experience but only got stuck once and it was only the very last leg up the hill to my property. One big wash that was a bit to steep. Had to jack the back end of the trailer up and stick wood under the tires all done at night LOL. News flash I also bought a used 7550 Generac gas generator. Haven't used it yet but running the trailer on my solar gen worked !!. Still many more things to do. Was able to widen the road back in to get my trailer through the trees and shrub only had to do a bunch of trimming,still a lot of work. Next up water tank. I have two 275 gallon tanks the square type. 1 for transport and one for filling. Need to build a stand for the one stationary tank this is only temp until I get a bigger water tank. Well thats it for now I enjoy every ones input and good to see all the good advice.

Jurdley Im not going for a Dome but have thought about it. If possible and money permits I would like to build a Deltec home. They are round and come in kit form. You can start small and add to them.

Here's a link Prefabricated Homes | Energy Efficient | Round House | Prefab Home Kit | Hurricane Proof | Circular Houses | Modern Home Plans | Deltec Homes enjoy ! More to come.

Happy is what Happy Does.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemperburt View Post
I went for American Made "Renolgy" Solar. I Have moved my 26 foot travel trailer to the property. A step up from the Tent. Made the move last weekend.It was quite the experience but only got stuck once and it was only the very last leg up the hill to my property. One big wash that was a bit to steep. Had to jack the back end of the trailer up and stick wood under the tires all done at night LOL. News flash I also bought a used 7550 Generac gas generator. Haven't used it yet but running the trailer on my solar gen worked !!. Still many more things to do. Was able to widen the road back in to get my trailer through the trees and shrub only had to do a bunch of trimming,still a lot of work. Next up water tank. I have two 275 gallon tanks the square type. 1 for transport and one for filling. Need to build a stand for the one stationary tank this is only temp until I get a bigger water tank. Well thats it for now I enjoy every ones input and good to see all the good advice.

Jurdley Im not going for a Dome but have thought about it. If possible and money permits I would like to build a Deltec home. They are round and come in kit form. You can start small and add to them.

Here's a link Prefabricated Homes | Energy Efficient | Round House | Prefab Home Kit | Hurricane Proof | Circular Houses | Modern Home Plans | Deltec Homes enjoy ! More to come.

Happy is what Happy Does.

How does the Deltec home work? How much does it cost? I just realized that hauling water costs like 10 times the normal water rate. Got to save my shower and use reclaimed water for gardening. That's really green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona