Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 AM

65 posts, read 351,984 times

Advertisements

I've been to 3 South American countries and this is what I have observed:

Brazil -Surprisingly diverse population, especially in the large cities. More westernized/European influence. Friendly people but not quite on the level of Colombia. A little more busy and rushed than other Latin American countries. Of course the language is different too. Excellent steak houses. Good quality of food overall.

Colombia- A lot of African/Caribbean influence. Especially along the coast. This is reflected in the food, attitude of the people, way of life. Didn't care for the food all that much. A little bland and plain in comparison to the other countries. Overall some of the friendliest people I've ever met. Very laid back, enjoy life, and like to have a good time. Gorgeous women.

Peru - Strong indigenous influences. Very proud people (history and country). Have a more native look to them than the other 2 countries. Even the large city of Lima maintains its Andean roots. Surprisingly strong Asian influence in Lima. Excellent food, best of these 3 countries in my opinion. Lima has been said to have the best food in South America. I'd have to agree. Laid back relaxed style of life, even to a certain extent in the larger cities.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:56 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
No doubt some towns in Parana and Santa Catarina states have strong German influence, but one can not deny the Portuguese and native indigenous influences in Parana and Santa Catarina.

I still think that, overall, Parana and Santa Catarina have a greater Portuguese and native indigenous influence than a German influence.

I have nothing against the Germans, I think they did a great contribution to the Brazilian culture, including teaching Brazilians how to make very good beers!
I might just not be familiar with Brazilian culture, but from this outsider's point of view, Brazilian culture doesn't seem very indigenous, but much more European and African.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:26 PM

230 posts, read 904,817 times
I know some may dispute this but I would say Native culture has about as much influence on Brazil as it does on American culture. There are subtle influences, but unless you live close to a reservation, or a place with many Indians, you are unlikely to see many people who look indigenous nor perceive these cultural influence which have been incorporated into the society as a whole. Most Indians when they come into contact with the white man tend to assimilate into the white culture not the other way around. It is a little different in countries with large sedentary indigenous populations, such as Bolivia, or Peru where Indians have historically made up a much larger percentage of the population and have been able to influence the general culture more.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunn4040 View Post
I've been to 3 South American countries and this is what I have observed:

Peru - Strong indigenous influences. Very proud people (history and country). Have a more native look to them than the other 2 countries. Even the large city of Lima maintains its Andean roots. Surprisingly strong Asian influence in Lima. Excellent food, best of these 3 countries in my opinion. Lima has been said to have the best food in South America. I'd have to agree. Laid back relaxed style of life, even to a certain extent in the larger cities.
On a side note, can someone please talk briefly about Peruvian food? I have little knowledge of it, but honestly, when it comes to South America I find Argentinian food very hard to beat, either sweet or savory dishes. I am not Argentinian, but their food is absolutely fantastic.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:08 PM

65 posts, read 351,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
On a side note, can someone please talk briefly about Peruvian food? I have little knowledge of it, but honestly, when it comes to South America I find Argentinian food very hard to beat, either sweet or savory dishes. I am not Argentinian, but their food is absolutely fantastic.
Well in Lima the seafood is excellent and it is THE place to get Ceviche. First place I tried it and nothing has compared since. I really don't even like seafood that much but it was great here.

In the highlands they have hearty soups, lomo saltado(spell check), guinea pig(ok, that wasn't that great, lol), alpaca, potatoes, and a lot of other great, filling, warm foods. Great for the high altitude and cold weather.

I know I am leaving some stuff out. The quality of the food was great and they really do have a good variety as well. I'm sure some other people will pick up on some stuff that I left out.

Pisco Sours are pretty delicious as well, and sneak up on you

Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
I know some may dispute this but I would say Native culture has about as much influence on Brazil as it does on American culture. There are subtle influences, but unless you live close to a reservation, or a place with many Indians, you are unlikely to see many people who look indigenous nor perceive these cultural influence which have been incorporated into the society as a whole. Most Indians when they come into contact with the white man tend to assimilate into the white culture not the other way around. It is a little different in countries with large sedentary indigenous populations, such as Bolivia, or Peru where Indians have historically made up a much larger percentage of the population and have been able to influence the general culture more.
This is my opinion, too. I often am met with hostility when I say this, but I think Brazilians are very nostalgic/sentimental about the indigenous part of their heritage and therefore embrace it even though it is less noticeable in the daily culture than European and African influence.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:37 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Peruvian food is good, but very similar to chinese. Almost too similar. The actual Peruvian food, kind of boring. Lomo saltado is just beef chunks with french fries and rice, and a few peppers mixed in. Some of the best chinese food I've had, was in Peru when I toured South America. Bigger Asian presence than San Francisco, but this hasn't made the culture seem any more modern. Very conservative. Like some form of communism. Not everyone is like this, there is a European presence but you have to find it. Miraflores is nice but other than that, not a whole lot going on.

Colombia/Venezuela. More liberal, but still fairly conservative. Good looking women. Food was ok, but nothing special. The guys aren't as good looking as the women are pretty. If that makes sense. They rarely if ever eat rice in Colombia. You see more of one race there. Obviously hispanic but not usually indigenous.

Argentina. fantastic steaks, the most european country in South America, bar none. Portenos are generally Northern European looking along with a large Italian presence. Great nightlife, very fashion forward. Buenos Aires is the LA of South America.

Didn't care to see Bolivia or Ecuador. Hope to goto Brazil sometime.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:57 AM

230 posts, read 904,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post

Argentina. fantastic steaks, the most european country in South America, bar none. Portenos are generally Northern European looking along with a large Italian presence. Great nightlife, very fashion forward. Buenos Aires is the LA of South America.
Please do not insult BA by comparing it to LA.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Yes. Buenos Aires is much more like Paris or Milan than LA.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:56 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Quote:
In the sense that you can tell image is very important there. Fashion is huge - across the board. That isn't true in most American cities except Miami, NYC in a few areas, maybe Vegas, and still not nearly on LA's level. Culturally, it is more like a European city.

Lol, only Buenos Aires would get mad to be compared to LA.

Last edited by tollfree; 04-02-2011 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas