Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:22 AM

195 posts, read 441,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialeixo View Post
I think people are confusing the terms Latin here.....Latin America originally means the combination of countries in America that speak a romance language, wich derives directly from the Latin language.....portuguese is a romance language, so obviously Brazil is a latin country......Spain, France, Italy and Portugal are all latin countries for that matter, but nobody realizes that.......
But is Latinity only a matter of romance language?...What is latinity in Europe?

Latinity in ''Latin America'' is really something strange...Can I classify Haiti as a Latin country?...I think not for obvious reazons. But is Mexico with its ''mestizo'' population of about 62%, a Latin country? or Peru?...Bolivia?...Brazil and Cuba where the black influence has left its mark?...

Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking as I read through this thread. Growing up in NY and the metro area there is a huge population of Guyanese here. When I lived in Europe I had alot of friends from suriname, they reminded me so much of the Guyanese!

I haven't been to either country but yes I know there is a strong Caribbean connection, as well as a cultural connection (Cricket etc.).

There's a pretty interesting land dispute I think that Guyana has going on with Brazil and Venezuela but more so on the interior of the country. One thing that I think is interesting is that the coastal parts of these countries have strong Caribbean ties, while the interior have strong indigenous ties.

Guyana has no disputes with Brazil, though periodically Venezuela flexes its muscles, as it did recently when an oil exploration vessel, operating within Guyana territorial waters, but claimed by Venezuela, was seized. It also has border issues with Suriname.

This thread doesn't surprise me. Guyana, Suriname and French Guyana are fundamentally Caribbean societies located in South America. We lack the ties with the rest of the continent that Belize has with the rest of Central America. In fact it is even difficult to travel to other parts of South America. One can get to NYC from Suriname more easily than to Sao Paulo. To fly to Caracas from Guyana one must overnight in Trinidad, or fly via Miami.

Yet despite this there are those who will dispute that these nations are Caribbean.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

Its similar to how many people don't really consider Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico as the 'true' Caribbean, they're more Latin American in outlook and influence, and even in the feel.on this.

Don't know about that. Cuba and the DR fit any notion of what being Caribbean is about. Similar food music, history, etc. I was watching a youtube of some one touring parts of the DR, just after I was watching some one touring St Kitts. I would never have known the difference was it not pointed out.

The Guyanas on the other hand are completely different from the rest of South America, with the partial exception of Brazil. The coastal north eastern regions of Brazil are possibly the areas where people from the Guyanas (most being coastal dwellers) would feel comfortable. The interiors of the Guyanas are a lot like similar areas in Brazil and even have many Brazilians to prove it.

Last edited by caribny; 12-10-2013 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas