Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:05 AM

3,978 posts, read 6,784,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane2 View Post
There are also distinctly different regions just within Brazil. Brazil's far south is very Caucasian, more prosperous, and with more 20th century European immigrants. It includes this highly innovative, futuristic sustainable city Curitiba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The northeast of Brazil on the other hand is heavily Afrocentric, with folk religions, and more poverty.

Hmmm... First of all, the South is not the richest region of Brazil, the richest region is the Southeast (São Paulo, Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro), where the greater fraction of the national GDP is concentrated. The Southeast is far less "Caucasian" than the South, in fact, the Southeast is very mixed-race and multi-ethnic.

And even the South is not that "Caucasian island" some people like to tell. The influence of blacks and indigenous is visible in the South as well, specially in the state of Rio Grande do Sul.

And about the Northeast, only the states of Bahia and Maranhão are "Afrocentric", as you call it. The other states have a much stronger indigenous influence than an African influence (specially Paraiba, Rio Grande do Norte, Ceara and Piaui).

Old 03-22-2011, 03:49 AM

230 posts, read 904,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Hmmm... First of all, the South is not the richest region of Brazil, the richest region is the Southeast (São Paulo, Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro), where the greater fraction of the national GDP is concentrated. The Southeast is far less "Caucasian" than the South, in fact, the Southeast is very mixed-race and multi-ethnic.
This is true that the Southeast is richer per GDP but I think the South may have less inequality than the Southeast. I live in Rio but when I go to the South I notice there are less slums, although there are some very poor people in the south, it seems to be less. I also think they do more with less government help, compared to Rio.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 AM

44 posts, read 221,406 times
People also has to remember that differences in South america has been so strong in the past that most of the countries have been in war at some point during the past century. Chile vs Peru and Bolivia; Peru vs Ecuador; Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay vs Paraguay, Argentina vs Brazil, Bolivia vs Paraguay, etc.

Rivalry in the region has been strong considering it's a region that shares the same language, same culture, almost same race and the same religion.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 AM

678 posts, read 1,204,981 times
Hi, everyone. THis is my first post here...
Well. Brazil is becoming a pretty nice place to live in. At least in the city I live in(São Paulo). The violence in genereral is getting down as people's standards of living are fastly increasing. But still i guess its gonna take us an entire century to reach that level of civilization and society you have in the USA.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 AM

614 posts, read 3,211,010 times
From my perspective and having known many Brazilians I can say that Brazil is, although similar in some ways, quite different from Spanish South America. Other than language, Brazil has strong African elements in places, while most of South America minus parts of Colombia and Venezuela don't. Also Brazilian food is very different.

I'd say Brazil is most similar to Colombia or Venezuela out of any South American nation, and has much less in common with Chile, Peru, or Ecuador. Also, southern Brazil has a very European feel to it, a significant amount of Italian and German influence.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:37 AM

3,978 posts, read 6,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
I'd say Brazil is most similar to Colombia or Venezuela out of any South American nation, and has much less in common with Chile, Peru, or Ecuador.
I agree that Colombia and Venezuela are the countries in South America that are most similar to Brazil, because of the black heritage, combined with the indigenous and Iberian heritages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Also, southern Brazil has a very European feel to it, a significant amount of Italian and German influence.
Ronaldinho looks Italian or German to you?

Ronaldinho (known in Brazil as "Ronaldinho Gaucho"), the black Brazilian footballer who won FIFA World Player of the Year in 2004 and 2005, was born in Porto Alegre, capital of Rio Grande do Sul, the southernmost state in Brazil. In fact, "Gaucho" is a nickname for all those who were born in Rio Grande do Sul.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I agree that Colombia and Venezuela are the countries in South America that are most similar to Brazil, because of the black heritage, combined with the indigenous and Iberian heritages.

Ronaldinho (known in Brazil as "Ronaldinho Gaucho"), the black Brazilian footballer who won FIFA World Player of the Year in 2004 and 2005, was born in Porto Alegre, capital of Rio Grande do Sul, the southernmost state in Brazil. In fact, "Gaucho" is a nickname for all those who were born in Rio Grande do Sul.
Brazil also has some cultural similarities to Cape Verde, due to a shared Portuguese and African heritage, but that's not South America. From what I can see, Brazil is also similar to the Hispanic Caribbean but I'm not of either ethnicity and someone who is might know better.

The south has the most European influence of all of Brazil, while the northeast and the coastal regions of the country have the most African influence. But of course you can find whites in the north and blacks in the south as well.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 PM

230 posts, read 904,817 times
Quote:

I think saying it has a European feel to it is not to discount that there are Blacks, Indians, and mixed people but compared to other parts of Brazil, it does feel very European. Maybe not to a European but to somebody from the New World like myself, and even to many Brazilians, it certainly does. Many people say the same thing about my city in the US (Seattle), yet we still have black people (Jimmy Hendrix for example) and Indians (I grew up next to a reservation) but the Scandinavian influence is really strong. In the South of Brazil the Italian, German, ect. influence is really strong.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:33 PM

678 posts, read 1,204,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
I think saying it has a European feel to it is not to discount that there are Blacks, Indians, and mixed people but compared to other parts of Brazil, it does feel very European. Maybe not to a European but to somebody from the New World like myself, and even to many Brazilians, it certainly does. Many people say the same thing about my city in the US (Seattle), yet we still have black people (Jimmy Hendrix for example) and Indians (I grew up next to a reservation) but the Scandinavian influence is really strong. In the South of Brazil the Italian, German, ect. influence is really strong.
In fact, the southern part of my country looks like Europe. That's because of european colonization in the middle 1900s. Architecture in special makes you feel like you're in Netherlands or even Germany. This one i'm posting a photo is Blumenau, located in the state of Santa Catarina.
http://www.imagensgratis.com.br/imagens/original/imagem-blumenau.jpg (broken link)

Beautiful, don't you think so?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
In fact, the southern part of my country looks like Europe. That's because of european colonization in the middle 1900s. Architecture in special makes you feel like you're in Netherlands or even Germany. This one i'm posting a photo is Blumenau, located in the state of Santa Catarina.

Beautiful, don't you think so?

Looks like a village right out of the Alps!

That's what I was referring to when I said that southern Brazil has a European feel to it. A lot of Italian, German, and Portuguese influence there I believe. Gisele Bundchen is a Brazilian of German descent from the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas