Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:46 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times

Advertisements

This was in the paper today about Duane and Rena's rescue!

Facebook helps save life of woman living on remote Alaska homestead
by Reba Lean / rlean@newsminer.com
Dec 22, 2011*|*9414*views*|*6**|*28**|**|*
FAIRBANKS — From the bed of an intensive care unit room at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital on Wednesday, Rena Ose, 68, talked and laughed with her husband, Duane, at her side.

A few days ago, Rena wasn’t laughing.

The Oses live at “Ose Mountain,” one of the last homesteads created by the federal Homestead Act. It is about 15 miles outside of Denali Park and 77 miles north of Mount McKinley.

Read more: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner -

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Facebook helps save life of woman living on remote Alaska homestead (http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/16867752/article-Facebook-helps-save-life-of-woman-living-on-remote-Alaska-homestead?instance=home_news_window_left_top_4 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:49 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,786,521 times
That's pretty kewl !! Laugh away Rena !!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:54 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Was on the local news here also, mainly due to the Oses's are from Minnesota.
I was tell people at work today about it, one comment; "and to think most think it's just socal networking".
Great stuff.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Was on the local news here also, mainly due to the Oses's are from Minnesota.
I was tell people at work today about it, one comment; "and to think most think it's just socal networking".
Great stuff.
Can't find my like button Here is to internet friends and Hoping Duane and Rena get back home ASAP, and to Bonnie for helping when they needed it and probably no other choices

Old 12-22-2011, 06:29 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Can't find my like button Here is to internet friends and Hoping Duane and Rena get back home ASAP, and to Bonnie for helping when they needed it and probably no other choices
glad that as I walked by that computer area on my way to the office computer that I noticed the message box up from Duane and decided to stop what I was going to do to chat with him....about 2 hours, tad stress but more for Duane than me...found I am not good at holding the phone with one hand and typing with one hand to Duane for weather conditions, winds, ETA's etc...got to actually talk to both of them...met Duane online about 2 yrs ago...some day hope to meet them both in person!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Awesome Blueflames! Glad you were able to help out... See, not even in AK and you are already making the papers. (and in a good way)

Another good example of how modern technology helped to save a life.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:34 PM

811 posts, read 1,318,067 times
WOW, I am glade Rena is doing better. That is great Bonnie you knew to call Wrights Air Service as they knew where to go.. Wish Rena and Duane the best. When first I read the title my heart just dropped.

starlite9 thanks for letting folks know about it.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:36 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
Yeah, this really is fantastic. It's been a pleasure to get to know Duane a little bit through Facebook and see how he lives. He really lives the kind of life that I will probably only ever be able to dream about, although hopefully one day I can fly mail planes and such out to the houses of people like Duane. Good job on the rescue calls, Bonnie!

What a great story. The internet really has gotten to be a powerful tool, and it saved a life on this day.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
I stopped by and visited with Rena Tuesday evening a bit, Duane had gone to get some rest.

She was tired but in very good spirits. The Operation to install the stints went well and she will need some follow up testing, but the doc said other than the stint thing, she was in pretty good condition!

So they should be out at the cabin after a bit of a break for winter here in Civilization!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:29 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,595 times
Wow, what a story. I've been hole up at the floathouse sewing furs and enjoying the solitude for the past week,.... that'll learn me to turn my back on you guys. Bonnie, you were amazing! If I'm ever in trouble I want you in my corner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska