Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:54 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,772,975 times

Advertisements

amazing rescue!
Three rescuers used a rope harness, a couple two-by-fours, and a pair of Pampered Chef scissors to free a juvenile eagle frozen in the Chilkat River near 21 Mile Haines Highway on Nov. 17.
California wildlife photographer Mark Lissick spotted the bird – literally spread-eagle on the ice and not moving – while returning from a photo outing. He said he’d seen several eagles that day with ice on their wing and tail feathers.
"This one had basically gotten itself mired in the ice," Lissick said.

Trio rescues young eagle from clutches of icy river - Chilkat Valley News - Haines, Alaska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,462,629 times
That is fantastic!

Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 PM

811 posts, read 1,322,392 times
That is good news.

Off topic who was the Bird Lady who passed away? I thought she feed the Eagle or Ducks.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
That is good news.

Off topic who was the Bird Lady who passed away? I thought she feed the Eagle or Ducks.
Jean Keene of Homer...there is a beautiful book put out by her son about her...wish I had bought it this summer.

Jean Keene, the "Eagle Lady"

Old 12-02-2011, 07:01 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,890,969 times
She was an icon in Homer, so sad that her mission is not carried on...

Old 12-02-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
She was an icon in Homer, so sad that her mission is not carried on...
I see both sides of the issue of carrying on and not...she created a wonderful, wonderful, sanctuary for people to see something that they will not see ever again.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:23 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,604,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
I see both sides of the issue of carrying on and not...she created a wonderful, wonderful, sanctuary for people to see something that they will not see ever again.

I admired her for the caring part, but to feed wild anything is hurting the animal, in her case it was hundreds of animals. They lose the interest in hunting for food and when someone like this gal did, feed them to where they didn't need to take care of themselves, things go wrong.

Funny and not, there were people that after the lady passed on, her friend did it for awhile before she was forced to stop, then I guess people's small dogs started going missing. When you have hundred of hungry Eagles flying around, free food it just that, and pet cats and dogs will do or even better, they aren't use to "Death from Above!"

But if you want to see Eagles in mass numbers, go to Dutch Harbor... They hang out at the Canneries, somewhere I have a shot from over by the runway of hundreds in one frame! I will post it when I find it!

Old 12-03-2011, 11:03 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,886,168 times
Quote:
amazing rescue!
Three rescuers used a rope harness, a couple two-by-fours, and a pair of Pampered Chef scissors to free a juvenile eagle frozen in the Chilkat River near 21 Mile Haines Highway on Nov. 17.
California wildlife photographer Mark Lissick spotted the bird – literally spread-eagle on the ice and not moving – while returning from a photo outing. He said he’d seen several eagles that day with ice on their wing and tail feathers.
"This one had basically gotten itself mired in the ice," Lissick said.

Trio rescues young eagle from clutches of icy river - Chilkat Valley News - Haines, Alaska
this is fantastic... thank you Blue... would love to see that picture Star...

Old 12-03-2011, 11:10 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,653,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I admired her for the caring part, but to feed wild anything is hurting the animal, in her case it was hundreds of animals. They lose the interest in hunting for food and when someone like this gal did, feed them to where they didn't need to take care of themselves, things go wrong.

!
^Dis, no difrent dan feeding da bears.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:41 PM

811 posts, read 1,322,392 times
Quote:
Jean Keene of Homer...there is a beautiful book put out by her son about her...wish I had bought it this summer.

Jean Keene, the "Eagle Lady"
That is her, did someone step up to take here place?

Edit read starlite9 post someone took her spot and forced to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska