Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 03:53 PM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times

Advertisements

This has come up before and I've commented - I worked in an office with a daily thief. One day I was at my desk and saw a guy take a foil-wrapped stuffed bell-pepper (per the person who had it stolen) into the men's bathroom. He stuck it under his arm but I could plainly see it. When he came out, his arms were swinging naturally so I assume he "enjoyed" it in a stall. I think he was a temp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 06:12 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
People who bring their own lunch to work possess a thing called "putting in effort". They plan, shop for, and pack a lunch for themselves, so that they don't have to eat some junky slop out of a vending machine or a greasy, overpriced meal from a fast food restaurant.

During my working years, I noticed that anyone who was ever caught stealing another employee's lunch was a person that did not do this thing called "putting in effort" in a lot of other areas of their life, not just in lunchtime meal planning.

It's evidence of a character flaw. A deep one.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:19 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
LMAO! This literally made me crack up. I can't for the life of me imagine eating someone else's food. The heck???
For real LOL. Also, it's just plain nasty. Like, how do I know their house/utensils are clean. I don't even eat food that someone brings in for everyone that was cooked at their house.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:45 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
I did it once accidentally. It was my first day as a summer intern when I was home from college, and was living with my parents for the summer. My brother was still in high school and my father was still working. My mother would make a bag lunch for myself, my father, and my brother. At this job, you could have your lunch break at either 12:00 or 1:00, and I chose 12:00. When lunch came my first day, I took the bag that I thought was my lunch, and ate it. It was clearly not the lunch that my mother had made for me, but I just assumed that either she confused it with my brother or father's lunch, or that I took the wrong bag from home. It was good enough, so I ate it.

At 1:00, a woman (who happened to be pregnant at the time) was complaining that her lunch was gone and somebody had ate it. There was a big meeting going on at the time (which neither she nor I were part of), so she was first told to check the meeting to see if somebody took it by mistake. Her lunch was not there. She was then describing what was in her lunch, and it was exactly the lunch that I had eaten! I pretended to ignore it. But then somebody told her check if the "new guy" (referring to me) had eaten it. She also described the only lunch that was left in the refrigerator, and it was exactly the lunch that my mother had made for me!

I felt really bad about the situation and I had to admit my mistake. She was angry that I would eat a pregnant woman's lunch, but I explained it was an honest error. I told her she could have my lunch but she declined. She was going to the deli across the street to buy lunch. I offered to buy her a lunch from the deli to make up for it, but she declined. All summer long, she never let it go, and would remind me that I ate a pregnant woman's lunch.

After that summer, I ran into her maybe 2 more times, maybe about 5 years and 10 years later, and the first thing she mentioned was that I ate her lunch and that she was pregnant at the time. She would never let it go. I feel bad I ate her lunch, but I do feel less bad given that I offered to make up for it by buying her lunch from the deli, but she declined.

I do not remember how I explained to my parents that I didn't need lunch one day that week, since the lunch my mother gave me was still in the refrigerator at work. I didn't want to tell them I ate the wrong lunch.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:06 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
All summer long, she never let it go, and would remind me that I ate a pregnant woman's lunch.

After that summer, I ran into her maybe 2 more times, maybe about 5 years and 10 years later, and the first thing she mentioned was that I ate her lunch and that she was pregnant at the time. She would never let it go.

She was just a small person, and probably still is. No need to continue to feel bad. If anything, she should feel bad for making you feel guilty about it all these years.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:13 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:

After that summer, I ran into her maybe 2 more times, maybe about 5 years and 10 years later, and the first thing she mentioned was that I ate her lunch and that she was pregnant at the time. She would never let it go.
Hmm, someone who holds onto wrongs for decades. Interesting.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:36 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
I did it once accidentally. It was my first day as a summer intern when I was home from college, and was living with my parents for the summer. My brother was still in high school and my father was still working. My mother would make a bag lunch for myself, my father, and my brother. At this job, you could have your lunch break at either 12:00 or 1:00, and I chose 12:00. When lunch came my first day, I took the bag that I thought was my lunch, and ate it. It was clearly not the lunch that my mother had made for me, but I just assumed that either she confused it with my brother or father's lunch, or that I took the wrong bag from home. It was good enough, so I ate it.

At 1:00, a woman (who happened to be pregnant at the time) was complaining that her lunch was gone and somebody had ate it. There was a big meeting going on at the time (which neither she nor I were part of), so she was first told to check the meeting to see if somebody took it by mistake. Her lunch was not there. She was then describing what was in her lunch, and it was exactly the lunch that I had eaten! I pretended to ignore it. But then somebody told her check if the "new guy" (referring to me) had eaten it. She also described the only lunch that was left in the refrigerator, and it was exactly the lunch that my mother had made for me!

I felt really bad about the situation and I had to admit my mistake. She was angry that I would eat a pregnant woman's lunch, but I explained it was an honest error. I told her she could have my lunch but she declined. She was going to the deli across the street to buy lunch. I offered to buy her a lunch from the deli to make up for it, but she declined. All summer long, she never let it go, and would remind me that I ate a pregnant woman's lunch.

After that summer, I ran into her maybe 2 more times, maybe about 5 years and 10 years later, and the first thing she mentioned was that I ate her lunch and that she was pregnant at the time. She would never let it go. I feel bad I ate her lunch, but I do feel less bad given that I offered to make up for it by buying her lunch from the deli, but she declined.

I do not remember how I explained to my parents that I didn't need lunch one day that week, since the lunch my mother gave me was still in the refrigerator at work. I didn't want to tell them I ate the wrong lunch.
I had my lunch eaten many times in one place (read upthread), but if the thief had done what you did, I would have accepted their offer to buy me lunch and moved on. That was petty on her part. Yours was an honest mistake

Old 04-01-2024, 11:05 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
This is a slightly different situation since it was in school rather than at work. In 2nd grade, there was a kid in my class who was on a special diet. Since he wanted regular food, he would tell everybody that his mother forgot to give him lunch, and ask for part of our lunch. Eventually, our teacher told us that he was on a special diet (probably wouldn't be allowed to tell us nowadays) and not to give us any of our lunch. After that, he started stealing other kids' lunch. But he would steal from somebody else every day so that there was no obvious pattern. My turn came every 22 days or so, as did everybody else's. When we would tell the teacher that our lunch was stolen, she would just tell us that our mothers forgot to give us lunch. She never did anything about the kid stealing lunches even though everybody knew he was doing it.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:14 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
https://youtu.be/AeKizzQpPpY?si=zwrJpS4qrQZxPeLg

Friends episode where someone at Ross' turkey sandwich

Old 04-01-2024, 01:01 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Every job I've had, except in the Navy, had someone who was either a lunch thief or vandal. From outright stealing the lunch to opening one up and taking a bite of a sandwich and putting it back to jamming their fingers into the food and leaving an imprint to urinating in a lunch pail.

The above includes teaching with supposedly educated individuals. We also had women store their used pantyhose in the freezer to "clean" them to be worn again there.
Well, if she was HOT, really HOT, I might be OK with that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment