Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 03:51 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
LOL! I wasn't expecting these responses, but I am laughing at how common this apparently is.
I created this thread because someone this morning decided to go into my lunch box and eat my -- get this -- plain Siggi's yogurt. I always bring some in, and when ready to eat, mix in some blueberries or something. But yeah... Apparently someone thought that this bland, plain, flavorless yogurt would be delicious to eat this morning. I hope they enjoyed it? LOL

We've had many threads on it here and in other forums, it is extremely common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 06:23 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
I don't recall it being a common occurrence but when it did happen someone would invariably place a note on the break room fridge warning of the food theft.

I have no idea what type of personality would steal a coworker's food like that but there almost has to be a loose screw there.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:07 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
I used to keep candy bars in a drawer of my desk and they were disappearing. I know I eat a lot but damn. Then one day I left a note that said, "Jesus is watching you" and it stopped. That's when I knew it was the religious freak in the cubicle across from me

Old 03-29-2024, 08:23 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Every job I've had, except in the Navy, had someone who was either a lunch thief or vandal. From outright stealing the lunch to opening one up and taking a bite of a sandwich and putting it back to jamming their fingers into the food and leaving an imprint to urinating in a lunch pail.

The above includes teaching with supposedly educated individuals. We also had women store their used pantyhose in the freezer to "clean" them to be worn again there.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:27 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
We also had women store their used pantyhose in the freezer to "clean" them to be worn again there.

To be fair, the method is that you rinse them first, then put them in a bag and freeze them. The cold makes the fibers stronger, which helps the hose last longer and keeps them from running. But why they would do it at work and not at home baffles me.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:40 AM

35,013 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I used to keep candy bars in a drawer of my desk and they were disappearing. I know I eat a lot but damn. Then one day I left a note that said, "Jesus is watching you" and it stopped. That's when I knew it was the religious freak in the cubicle across from me
I keep vending machine singles and quarters in my desk drawer. People always ask before taking it, though I am more or less open to people, on the "honor system," just doing it when they get the munchies.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:08 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,245,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Not really- but we had a larger problem with items left in the refrigerator and abandoned.

We had the proverbial laboratory growing in the fridge, until we instituted a Friday afternoon cleanout of everything in it, even if a name was on it.

Out it went.

The cleaners would wash it out and keep it fresh.
I believe that the majority of alleged stolen lunch reports are false. I have worked in multiple offices with a shared break room refrigerator and have noticed that it was usually the same few people repeatedly saying their lunches were stolen.
When the time came for the semiannual refrigerator purge/clean, we would find lots of moldy lunches, the amount pretty much correlating with the number of reported thefts.
Some people are too obtuse to realize that their lunch might not be found in the exact spot where they left it. With dozens of people accessing the refrigerator, things get moved around. I can imagine these same people at home accusing their family members of theft and later finding the "stolen" item right where they forgot they left it.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:13 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,712,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
We also had women store their used pantyhose in the freezer to "clean" them to be worn again there.
Wait, what???

(I never heard of doing this in all my years, hear something new every day.)

Old 03-29-2024, 11:24 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
I've seen folks get fired for this, and they should.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:32 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Not randomly, but specifically yes. I had a supervisor who would do that whenever he forgot his lunch. He'd just eat someone else's. You weren't going to get anywhere confronting him as he was a vindictive SOB. I ate his lunch every time I got the chance. Man it infuriated him. It was awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment