Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should the New HQ open?
NoVa 21 41.18%
PG 30 58.82%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 08:23 PM

158 posts, read 246,940 times

Advertisements

I can't wait until PG loses again so I can read all of the ill-informed idiots on the DC and MD forums ***** and moan about how a PG location would have amounted for a great life/work balance for all of those highly paid upper GS level and IT contractors who live in Virginia to commute to.

The only people that work at the FBI HQ that currently live in PG or DC are the low level security and administrative staff. Those jobs can be replaced very easily. The upper GS levels and well paid contractors are much harder to come by and they all already commute from the southern portion of the 95 corridor anyways.

Throw in the fact that no sane person would choose to live in PG over Fairfax (schools, retail, crime, basically any positive measurable), and it's a no brainer that this will end up in Springfield.

The ONLY reason PG is still even being mentioned is to appease the local politicians. The decision was already made 2 years ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 08:12 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post
I can't wait until PG loses again so I can read all of the ill-informed idiots on the DC and MD forums ***** and moan about how a PG location would have amounted for a great life/work balance for all of those highly paid upper GS level and IT contractors who live in Virginia to commute to.

The only people that work at the FBI HQ that currently live in PG or DC are the low level security and administrative staff. Those jobs can be replaced very easily. The upper GS levels and well paid contractors are much harder to come by and they all already commute from the southern portion of the 95 corridor anyways.

Throw in the fact that no sane person would choose to live in PG over Fairfax (schools, retail, crime, basically any positive measurable), and it's a no brainer that this will end up in Springfield.

The ONLY reason PG is still even being mentioned is to appease the local politicians. The decision was already made 2 years ago...

What would your response be if a MD location was actually picked? I'm curious.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
What would your response be if a MD location was actually picked? I'm curious.
I'd be curious too.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:54 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
I will be very surprised if Springfield gets the FBI. The GSA made a very clear statement giving MD a 66% chance of landing the FBI (2 out of 3 sites). I think it is up to Springfield to convince them otherwise.
Just because 3 options were given does not mean that they are all being considered equally. Springfield might have a 75% chance of winning, or it might have a 10% chance of winning. We aren't part of the decision so we don't really know the odds.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Just because 3 options were given does not mean that they are all being considered equally. Springfield might have a 75% chance of winning, or it might have a 10% chance of winning. We aren't part of the decision so we don't really know the odds.

I agree. I would not venture to guess what is on the minds of those who will make the decision. We're merely speculating and having a discussion on those possibilities. Though, some act as though they have inside knowledge and direct contact with those decision-makers. Perhaps, they hang out together at happy-hour. Who knows?

Old 08-18-2014, 12:38 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Sometimes the GSA does things that makes no sense to me. You never know what they will do.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 PM

605 posts, read 669,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post

The Greenbelt site is fairly convenient to those who live in Montgomery County, Anne Arundel County, and Howard County as well so it is unrealistic to expect that only people living in the immediate area will benefit from having the FBI located in PG County. Besides there are plenty of well paid contractors and upper GS levels who live in Maryland as well, especially given that the NSA is located nearby in Fort Meade.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:05 AM

Guess where WAMTA wants the FBI to move.
Quote:
  • Springfield: 1,400-2,400 new peak rail trips/day and new fare revenue of $1.7-2.9 million/year. Of course, there will need to be a shuttle service given the distance from the rail station to the site, and the cost of this service would offset around half of this revenue.
  • Greenbelt: 2,400 new peak rail trips/day and new fare revenue around $2.8 million/year, if not more. Because of the immediate adjacency to Metrorail, no shuttle bus would be required, so this additional revenue directly offsets Metro’s annual operating subsidy.
  • Landover: The site is 2+ miles from Metrorail, resulting in very low rail ridership, and only assuming supplementary bus service to Metrorail. Based on Metro’s experience serving similar locations, the cost of this bus service would offset any rail revenue gains.
PlanItMetro » FBI Train-ing

Old 08-20-2014, 09:52 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Guess where WAMTA wants the FBI to move.

PlanItMetro » FBI Train-ing
Blogs aren't really the most reliable source of information. There is something that was said, that isn't necessarily true:

Quote:
Springfield: 1,400-2,400 new peak rail trips/day and new fare revenue of $1.7-2.9 million/year. Of course, there will need to be a shuttle service given the distance from the rail station to the site, and the cost of this service would offset around half of this revenue
Northern Virginia officials worry CIA facility may scuttle bid to land FBI headquarters - The Washington Post
Quote:
It’s a short run from the FBI Academy and laboratory in Quantico and other FBI operations that are in Northern Virginia or planned for there. It’s near the Capital Beltway and Interstate 395 and within walking distance of the Franconia-Springfield Metro station. Best of all, the federal government owns the property, potentially saving taxpayers as much as $300 million.
To say that "there will need" is inaccurate at best. Certainly there is possible need, but again this an example of more bias on this particular topic. Let's just stick with the facts. It's true that it would likely be more challenging to create a way for metro riders to get to that site compared to the Greenbelt site, especially give that there isn't an entrance that would lead employees to that area. But let's keep in mind, that no one has officially come out and said that they need a shuttle service there.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Blogs aren't really the most reliable source of information. There is something that was said, that isn't necessarily true:

Quote:
PlanItMetro is the planning blog of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (Metro). This site will be used to post regular updates on the many planning activities of the Office of Planning (PLAN) and other related offices, and gather feedback on our work from the online community. This site is not intended to replace the current Planning and Development page on the current Metro website, which will continue to host final reports of plans and studies as they are released to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: