Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should the New HQ open?
NoVa 21 41.18%
PG 30 58.82%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:55 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Quantico is the only argument for Springfield. Government-owned land or not, the site is further away from the metro station to where employees would need shuttles, and the traffic on I-95 is horrid. Even on the weekends. Lastly, there are facilities already in use that would be costly to relocate.
That is not true. Fairfax County has promise to build a back entrance to the Springfield Metro so that the walk to the Metro will be about 10 minutes for the half mile.

Granted, I'm sure they'd still have shuttles for the lazy people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 07:17 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Since when did an employee's desires matter? lol You underestimate peoples' willingness to keep their quality of living. Why do people travel from WV, PA, Richmond, and DE to work in DC? The FBI could move to Ocean City and if people NEED their jobs to feed their families, they will travel or move closer.

Whether they want to work in PG or not, if the FBI moves there, they will too. Ask how many MD workers want to drive through the mixing bowl every day. I highly doubt they would choose Springfield. But yes, "MOST" FBI employees live in Springfield right? Or "MOST" of the leadership lives in Springfield. So obviously the FBI will move there.

Quantico is the only argument for Springfield. Government-owned land or not, the site is further away from the metro station to where employees would need shuttles, and the traffic on I-95 is horrid. Even on the weekends. Lastly, there are facilities already in use that would be costly to relocate.
The bolded statement is just beyond absurd.

Again, as I stated earlier, no one has to drive through the mixing bowl. Driving to Springfield and driving through the mixing bowl is two different things. Look we know you want PG to get the FBI and that is understandable, but you are saying things about VA that aren't true. At least if you are going to make your point, at least do some research. The mixing bowl has not been an issue with traffic for years. The real issue again is the bottle neck further down which will not affect most workers.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
The bolded statement is just beyond absurd.

Again, as I stated earlier, no one has to drive through the mixing bowl. Driving to Springfield and driving through the mixing bowl is two different things. Look we know you want PG to get the FBI and that is understandable, but you are saying things about VA that aren't true. At least if you are going to make your point, at least do some research. The mixing bowl has not been an issue with traffic for years. The real issue again is the bottle neck further down which will not affect most workers.
Yeah really. I live in Springfield and I never have to deal with I-95 traffic unless I'm going out of town.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:23 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
That is not true. Fairfax County has promise to build a back entrance to the Springfield Metro so that the walk to the Metro will be about 10 minutes for the half mile.

Granted, I'm sure they'd still have shuttles for the lazy people.
Yep.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah really. I live in Springfield and I never have to deal with I-95 traffic unless I'm going out of town.
I don't travel in that area much but last weekend the backup started about 2 miles from the mixing bowl. At times it may start further down, but I've always hit traffic before reaching Potomac Mills.

But as you said, the back entrance to the Springfield metro may alleviate the traffic concern. Thanks for sharing that.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:42 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Come man, that's pretty ignorant. Greenbelt is a nice area. One of the nicer parts of PG to be honest. It has access to the MARC system and Metro so that alone is going to help it get a lot of consideration. There is also a lot of undeveloped land nearby that would allow the developer to custom build the work site based on the security standards needed.

Let's be honest, that part of Springfield isn't the greatest either. One of the reasons why the original Springfield Mall failed was because of the amount of crime that happened there that scared shoppers away. You also have to consider the reports of a secret underground office already on that site that would have to be uprooted just to accommodate a new building. It's not a slam dunk for Springfield. They are both fairly evenly matched in my opinion. I honestly have no idea who will get picked, I can see it going either way.

I definitely believe the OP is being bias, but I think your comments are pretty ridiculous and don't have a lot of merit.
Nope. The OP isn't being biased. But the OP feels that the argument for a NoVa HQ is pretty darn strong when you consider the local traveling FBI personnel will likely endure.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:53 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Nope. The OP isn't being biased. But the OP feels that the argument for a NoVa HQ is pretty darn strong when you consider the local traveling FBI personnel will likely endure.
I am sorry I got you confused with another poster. You aren't being biased.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 AM

Springfield also has many other commuting options besides 95 and Metro. Commuter buses goes there from Woodbridge, you can slug in the HOV lanes, pay for the HOT lanes starting next year, or take VRE.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:08 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I think both are really good locations. I think it should go to Greenbelt though. The plan there is just better. I also think it's time for the government to put more in PG.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Springfield also has many other commuting options besides 95 and Metro. Commuter buses goes there from Woodbridge, you can slug in the HOV lanes, pay for the HOT lanes starting next year, or take VRE.
Any idea how much the HOT lanes will cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: