Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 02:21 AM

27,432 posts, read 13,666,065 times

Advertisements

In terms of England & Wales, in 2015 there were 32 Deaths involving the police in 2015, 26 involved deaths in Custody (including suicides), 3 Died as a result of Police Pursuits, 2 Died in other Road Traffic Incidents (RTI) and there was 1 Shooting, making a total of 32 Deaths.

Custody 26
Pursuit 3
RTI 2
Shooting 1

Total 32

Deaths in police custody - Inquest

Deaths during or following police contact - IPCC

That is how you compile Statistics on the Police.

All serious incidents are automatically referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) for investigation in England & Wales, the Police Investigations and Review Commissioner in Scotland or the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-10-2016 at 03:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 02:49 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,191,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengiant35 View Post
DerpyDerp, i suggest a course in inferential statistics to help you out with those numbers you're keen on misrepresenting.
If the prison population were proportional to the makeup of the population as a whole, then there would be a lot fewer blacks in UK (and American) prisons. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see that they are overrepresented in the prison population. As I said, the figures that would actually mean something would be the percentage of crimes committed by race, the conviction rates and the length of sentences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengiant35 View Post
No I'm not. That article shows that the rate of gun ownership in Texas is 22% above the national average. There are 27 million people in Texas and that equates to tens of millions of guns. We also have something on the order of a million residents who are licensed to carry (concealed or open) handguns. I'm one of them.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:51 AM

In terms of the US in 2012, the latest year for which the US Bureau of Justice Statistics' Deaths in Custody Reporting Program has released data, 4,309 people died while being held in local jails or state prisons. In local jails, where there were 958 deaths—an 8 percent increase from 2011—the number-one cause of death was suicide.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Why don't you read over what you wrote before you interacted with me. Very dismissive to the whole issue of blue vs. black tensions. And of course the usual journey into liberal bashing.

At what point did you admit in all of this that bad policing indeed was playing a role in deepening the tensions? That is before I forced you to.
Your perceptions are skewed from reality. I was not dismissive of blue vs. black tensions. Neither did I bash - nor even mention - liberals. And you did not force me to do anything; I made my related my own negative experiences with the police and remarked that a black man's experiences might have been different than my own in my first post before you had even replied.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:04 AM

Quote:
The 10 states with the highest murder rates (from high to low) are Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, South Carolina, Maryland, Nevada, Delaware, FL, Alabama, and Georgia. Easy to see that most of these are states with lax gun laws.
It would be better if you'd listed the states by firearm murder rate, as it skews things slightly. But the District of Columbia leads the nation with a gun murder rate more than twice that of its nearest rival and DC has some of the most strict gun laws in the nation.

Quote:
And BTW TX has higher homicide rate than does NY and even IL is more dangerous than Alaska.
I'm not sure where you're going with that, because Illinois has extremely strict gun laws and Alaska is much more gun friendly.

Check out the murder rate of concealed handgun license holders in Texas. It averages something like 3 murders per year out of a million people. That's lower than the UK and just about every other nation on the planet.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CH...Report2015.pdf

Old 08-10-2016, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I suggest you re-read the Guardian Statistics as the Guardian makes clear that 478 were shot and 69 died by other means of including 31 died as a result of Taser and 16 were hit by police vehicles. This does not negate from the fact that the vast majority were in fact shot.
Again, I was referring to your original statement:

Quote:
The Guardian has been keeping comprehensive figures and one in five people (20%) shot by police in the US is unarmed.
Now go to the Guardian's database for 2015 and filter for unarmed people who were shot by the police and you'll find that the number is 111 out of 146. That's less than 10%, not the 20% that you claimed.

And, as I said, that number includes people who were shot by off duty cops in their homes while they were attempting to murder someone, people who tried to grab a cop's gun, etc.

Quote:
it been left to the Guardian and other media sources because the US doesn't keep comprehensive figures.
The FBI has been tasked with collecting, recording and reporting this information and it will be available in the near future. Maybe after the end of the year?

Old 08-10-2016, 03:19 AM

Quote:
In terms of the US in 2012, the latest year for which the US Bureau of Justice Statistics' Deaths in Custody Reporting Program has released data, 4,309 people died while being held in local jails or state prisons. In local jails, where there were 958 deaths—an 8 percent increase from 2011—the number-one cause of death was suicide.
I'm not sure how this relates to the BLM movement or unarmed shootings at the hands of the police? If you're comparing it to the UK deaths that you reported a few posts back, the report you cited states:

Quote:
We do not include self-inflicted deaths following contact with police.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp
We do not include self-inflicted deaths following contact with police.
Which means that they only include deaths whilst in Police Custody and not deaths following any contact with the police including suicide or domestic violence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INQUEST

INQUEST defines police custody deaths as deaths that take place while the individual is in contact with police, whether or not they have been arrested, or that happen shortly after that contact. The death may not necessarily have occurred inside a police station. We do not include self-inflicted deaths following contact with police or deaths as a result of domestic violence where the police have been involved.

Deaths in police custody - Inquest
Following Contact with the Police means exactly that and includes after people have been released by the police or the police have left the scene.

In 2015/16, there were 60 apparent suicides following police custody

102 other deaths following police contact that were independently investigated by the IPCC

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-10-2016 at 04:02 AM..

Old 08-10-2016, 07:22 AM

Due to a slight increase in Custody Deaths in the UK in 2014/15 an Independent Review was announced by the Home Secretary. It should be noted that Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) reguarly inspect and review Police Forces and there Custody Policies and Facilities which must meet their standards.

Joint inspection of police custody facilities - HMIC

Deaths in police custody at highest level for five years - The Guardian

Old 08-10-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Due to a slight increase in Custody Deaths in the UK in 2014/15 an Independent Review was announced by the Home Secretary.
You originally posted about deaths in American prisons and jails, but your UK stats are for deaths in police custody, which are two different things.

The procedures following arrest in the UK and the U.S. are quite different. In the UK you'll be arrested, transported to the police station, held in a cell, questioned and then either be released or charged with a crime.

In the States you'll be arrested, charged with a crime, transported to a city or county jail and held in a cell where you'll stay until have your first appearance before a judge. It may only take a few hours or you may have to wait until the court reopens on Monday. The judge will decide whether you qualify for bail and if you are, will set the bail amount and then either release you on bail or hold you until your court appearance.

These links describe deaths in UK prisons and are a more direct comparison to the U.S. prison deaths to which you originally linked, although there are some bookkeeping differences. For example, the American report you cited said that suicide was the leading cause of death, but that's only true because the natural death figures are broken down into subcategories like heart disease. Grouped together 55% of deaths in American jails and prisons are deaths due to natural causes.

http://www.inquest.org.uk/statistics/deaths-in-prison

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...t-17-year-high
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom